Inconsistent steering and hard to turn left
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Fiesta ST Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Inconsistent steering and hard to turn left within the Fiesta ST Maintenance forums, part of the Fiesta ST Garage category; Hi there im new to the forums and wondered if anyone help with this long standing problem ive had with this car For quite some ...

Thread: Inconsistent steering and hard to turn left

This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi there im new to the forums and wondered if anyone help with this long standing problem ive had with this car

For quite some time, I have had an intermittent problem of the steering which seems eager to turn right and seems to handle how you would an expect an ST to handle with a nice clean turn in. However when you wind the steering left, the car seems difficult to turn in and the steering to starts to weigh up noticeably more than when turning right - leading to overall disappointing handling.

I know it is normal to to have a slight variation in steering weight and response but this is a noticeable amount. And i know the ST is known for its great handling and feedback.

A bit of history, some time ago Ford replaced the steering column under warranty. While this helped, the problem eventually resurfaced. Ford havent been overly helpful with the issue and I have been messed around by them quite a lot - to the point where I have had to file a complaint against them.
    The car as i have been told is mechanically sound, and my alignment is looking very good. My tyres are michelin PS3's with a good amount of tread on them - I experience this even with the Bridgestones.

I also have downloaded the ForScan diagnostics software for Fords and tried resetting the steering angle sensor and all the related sensors such as ABS, Drift Pull compensation, Yaw rate and lateral acceleration. While this helps for a short while, it eventually comes back. There are also no fault codes to be seen.

The car also exhibits heavier steering aswell occasionally and makes the front end of the car 'feel' heavy

Has anyone experience similar issues or able to provide any advice as to what this may be - As i am completely at a loss

This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the problem is partially due to the torque vectoring. I yanked the fuse for ABS/Stability Control and the steering issues have been drastically reduced. My car is the opposite of yours, it prefers left turns, but doesn't after the fuse is pulled. The steering is still a little lighter to the left than to the right, but I don't have to countersteer just to keep it straight anymore and it's not fighting me in a right turn. There's definitely an issue with one of the sensors but getting a dealer to fix it is seemingly impossible ("the computer isn't throwing codes, so there's no problem!" ). For the time being I am just leaving the fuse out, but I am going to look into unplugging speed sensors and the yaw sensor to see if it helps then replacing the culprit.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wiggin105; 05-17-2017 at 08:24 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I guess just the speed sensors since, according to COBB, there is no steering angle and yaw sensor for the Fiesta ST (?).

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links