Boomba Racing Short Shifter KIT - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Fiesta ST Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Boomba Racing Short Shifter KIT

This is a discussion on Boomba Racing Short Shifter KIT within the Boomba Racing forums, part of the Vendors category; I've got this kit in my Fiesta along with the shifter base bushings. I bought them separate, the adapter plate first. With just the adapter ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Boomba Racing Short Shifter KIT

This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've got this kit in my Fiesta along with the shifter base bushings.
    I bought them separate, the adapter plate first.
    With just the adapter plate, there is a reduction in the fore/aft gate of some 20%, very noticeable and worth the change. But the shifting still felt rubbery, and the side to side gating was not changed and the 4-5 shift still felt too long.

Enter the shift lever and base bushings...

The base bushings should be considered a MUST. Hey they're 21 bux. Just do it. You'll be glad you did. They firm up the feel at the lever, no rubberiness remains.

I put the shift lever in and didn't like the way the fore/aft cable lined up with the housing with the lever fully extended (for the 40% reduction). So I lowered the lever arm to it's lowest setting which lined up the cable perfectly, I don't know if this cable alignment is a problem or not really, but at this setting it sure works fine.

A few things to note on the shifter:

First, it's nicely made! Boomba stuff is well made! Well done gents.

Second, the lever is bent back slightly vs. stock. I'm not sure yet that this is a good thing. It does bring the knob closer to you so if you feel yourself reaching, especially for 5th, this may be a good thing. My biggest complaint with the stock shifter, including after installing just the adapter plate, is that the side to side gate was too long and reaching for 5th was annoying. So...

Third, the lever reduces (or seems to) the side to side gate and reaching for 5th is no longer an issue.

So, with all 3 items installed (bushings, lever, adapter plate, for a combined 20% reduction), the shifting is quick, precise and has a very pleasing mechanical feel.

Well done to the Boys of Boomba for a nicely engineered and well manufactured set of components -- a very worthwhile upgrade to the Fiesta!
    Last edited by cobrat; 08-31-2015 at 05:14 AM.
    Boomba Racing likes this.
    Cobra Freak, FiST Enthusiast

Fiesta ST Vendor
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrat View Post
    I've got this kit in my Fiesta along with the shifter base bushings.
    I bought them separate, the adapter plate first.
    With just the adapter plate, there is a reduction in the fore/aft gate of some 20%, very noticeable and worth the change. But the shifting still felt rubbery, and the side to side gating was not changed and the 4-5 shift still felt too long.

Enter the shift lever and base bushings...

The base bushings should be considered a MUST. Hey they're 21 bux. Just do it. You'll be glad you did. They firm up the feel at the lever, no rubberiness remains.

I put the shift lever in and didn't like the way the fore/aft cable lined up with the housing with the lever fully extended (for the 40% reduction). So I lowered the lever arm to it's lowest setting which lined up the cable perfectly, I don't know if this cable alignment is a problem or not really, but at this setting it sure works fine.

A few things to note on the shifter:

First, it's nicely made! Boomba stuff is well made! Well done gents.

Second, the lever is bent back slightly vs. stock. I'm not sure yet that this is a good thing. It does bring the knob closer to you so if you feel yourself reaching, especially for 5th, this may be a good thing. My biggest complaint with the stock shifter, including after installing just the adapter plate, is that the side to side gate was too long and reaching for 5th was annoying. So...

Third, the lever reduces (or seems to) the side to side gate and reaching for 5th is no longer an issue.

So, with all 3 items installed (bushings, lever, adapter plate, for a combined 20% reduction), the shifting is quick, precise and has a very pleasing mechanical feel.

Well done to the Boys of Boomba for a nicely engineered and well manufactured set of components -- a very worthwhile upgrade to the Fiesta!
    Whoa, awesome write-up!

We're glad to hear you are happy with the product. Making shifter accessories for the Fiesta was a hard task because the car already came pretty good from the factory. A lot of R and D went into developing something that we made sure a lot of people were going to like.

Thank you for choosing Boomba!

>>>www.boombaracing.com<<<
    Boomba Racing guarantees satisfaction by designing the highest quality parts using the best materials and the most advanced technology available. All of our products are 100% designed, machined, and assembled in the USA.

Fiesta ST Vendor
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Running a set of short throw shifters right now!

Boomba Racing guarantees satisfaction by designing the highest quality parts using the best materials and the most advanced technology available. All of our products are 100% designed, machined, and assembled in the USA.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FiestaST.org
    Advertisements

Fiesta ST Vendor
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    These are BACK IN STOCK!!

Fiesta ST Vendor
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Bump it up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links