Old RE050 tires ... still safe to use?
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Fiesta ST Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Old RE050 tires ... still safe to use? within the Fiesta ST Wheels and Tires forums, part of the Fiesta ST Garage category; In the 2nd year after buying my '14 FiST, I needed to put all-season tires on the car. The original RE050 tires went in the ...

Thread: Old RE050 tires ... still safe to use?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the 2nd year after buying my '14 FiST, I needed to put all-season tires on the car. The original RE050 tires went in the basement at about half tread. I tried to sell them, but nobody was interested. Now the car needs tires again and all-seasons are no longer a requirement. After 4+ years of storage, should these RE050s still be ok to use? They look fine, but I know they have a special compound that is sensitive to low temps, etc. I don't know how age affects them. The basement naturally maintains a steady temperature. Any insight would be appreciated!

Fiesta ST Vendor
    Supprting Vendor
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Most car manufacturers recommend to dispose of tires after 6+ years as the tires age can begin to compromise the safety of the vehicle. In terms of your current set, i would recommend checking the date on the tires and to check the sidewall of the tire for any cracks, particularly the middle of the side wall. The length of how long you should drive on them depends on the conditions of how they were stored; temperature, are they mounted on the wheels or no and if they are mounted, were they deflated before storage. I would say after 4+ years it's okay to drive on them but use your own judgement and it would be heavily recommended that you look into buying a set of new tires sooner rather than later and not aggressive abuse the tires.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks!

Sponsored Links