Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my new Fiesta ST 2 is brilliant, and the only issue is the low speed ride bumping. My local friendly tyre company showed me the difference between the Bridgestone Potenza and the Michelin Pilot sport sidewall flexibility. The Michelin is far more flexible than the Bridgestone.

Has anyone out there carried this out?

Or, any views on how to lessen the low speed bumping?

·
Registered
158 Posts
In my experience Michelin's are usually better than everything haha, but with the price tag included. Without dropping to 16 inch wheels and getting a higher profile sidewall you're not going to get that much of a difference, IMO. I went with the General G-Max tires, they're a slightly better ride quality but not by much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm using Michelin Pilot A/S 3s and they feel more pliant. There's (probably) a slight decrease in extreme dry traction, but in the wet/cold/snow/ice there's no contest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi stuntdoogie, Thankyou for your response, I am very interested in the fact you increased the tyre size. Would this not change the speedo reading slightly?

More importantly, what about any other reactions re the slightly larger tyre? Is the body work still clear? and is the handling affected?
One last thing, would this adversely affect my insurance?
Apologies for all the questions
To be honest, I won't be driving anywhere the limits of the car.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hi stuntdoogie, Thankyou for your response, I am very interested in the fact you increased the tyre size. Would this not change the speedo reading slightly?

More importantly, what about any other reactions re the slightly larger tyre? Is the body work still clear? and is the handling affected?
One last thing, would this adversely affect my insurance?
Apologies for all the questions
To be honest, I won't be driving anywhere the limits of the car.
My Gmax tires have fairly soft sidewalls, and with the added 40 to 45 rubber you can feel tires flex on hard fast cornering but for the street they are just fine and absorb bumps pretty well which is why I went with them for nyc harsh streets. But one thing about these tires, I never heard or felt them screech or break loose. As far a speedo...the percentage is so small it's not even noticable. Then again I wrapped them on lighter wheels and my Gmax tires are 1lbs lighter than the oe tires. Also No rubbing.

Never heard of insurance increase from tires so can answer that.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou everyone for your comments, I think its a no brainer to go with the Michelins, looked at plenty other tyre tests and reviews, and the verdict was the same, will comment when they are changed, could be a few weeks yet

Thanks again

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm using Michelin Pilot A/S 3s and they feel more pliant. There's (probably) a slight decrease in extreme dry traction, but in the wet/cold/snow/ice there's no contest.
The Michelin Pilot A/S 3s that you are using are they the same size as factory 205/40/17 & are they good in the snow? Thanks.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are far superior tires in every way compared to the RE050. But I don't think they come in our size. They are also summer only tires and wear quickly, so depending on where you live and how you use the car they may not be super practical. I used them as my wet track tire on my M3 and they kick ass at that application. Even on the skid pad it takes some doing to get them to break traction. Very impressive.

I replaced the RE050's with Pilot A/S3's and they are very nice. Low noise. Decent ride quality. The car is sprung pretty stiff so you're not going to be able to have a totally supple ride. And if that's what you were after it seems strange to get the FiST in the first place.

But rarely can you go wrong with Michelin tires.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Even my 15" blizzaks made much less difference in the ride quality than i thought i would get, and I assume they are VERY soft. This car will always be a bit jarring at low speeds I think unless you make some spring changes. Even then the wheel base is never going to get you a chop free ride without giving up everything the car does well.

There are 215 mpss's, assuming they clear i will likely go that way for summer tires when the 050's die. There are stock size r888's which are beast on my summer car, but may suck on a tiny car like this for all i know.

Everyone makes shit tires and good tires. It is important to not blindly buy a brand imo. Though I think michilen in general is better than most tires at doing a good job of their intended purpose, if you buy a 80,000 tire for a summer tire, you will be disappointed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts