Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That's overstating what this is, but I wanted to collect all the sound clips that I could find in one place. I still don't have a car yet (April 23 expected arrival) and am basically just collecting data. However, I'm probably going to use the sexiness of the sounds coming from an exhaust as a (sadly) important data point for a (possible) selection.

Maybe I'll like the stock thing well enough to just leave it. Who knows. In any event, here are all the relevant (to me) sound clips that I could find. Please feel free to add what you find. Would be nice to have something like this made sticky, but now I can always find it no matter what. Would be nice to have something similar for coilover, intake, FMIC, big brake, race pad, and whatever else options. I like lists.

I collected this one since there seem to be a bunch of options with subtle (and not so subtle) differences -- and it's probably something I'll consider doing at some point.

Here's what I found (in no particular order):

FSWerks (stock cat): FSWerks Exhaust Page

Milltek (stock cat): Griffiin (Milltek dealer) Page

CP-e (various cat and tip setups): Custom Performance Engineering Page

MRT (stock cat; no muffler or resonator; loud): MRT Page

Magnaflow (replaced prior video with a better one from CJ Pony): Magnaflow Retailer Page

2J Racing (comparatively quiet; muffler and resonator): 2J Racing Page

Scorpion: Essex (U.S. distirbutor) Page

Levels Performance (test pipe)

Turns out we can only include 8 videos per post. I have a couple more to post and will add them in the next post. I'll follow that with a short comment.

[Edit: I have not seen a list like this previously, but apologize if it's a repeat.]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My notes about these exhausts

I realize there's much more to selecting an exhaust than the sound. Build quality, warranty, etc. all matter, but I've come to the opinion that a sexy growl and an attractive set of tips is mostly what you get with a catback exhaust. When you start adding a test pipe, FMIC, intake, and a stage 3 bolt-on tune (not to mention a big fat turbo), maybe the specific exhaust really does matter and the audio effects are less relevant.

But: With no real alterations planned (save perhaps a Stage 1 tune and a replacement intake -- or not), I'm personally leaning to the Milltek, non-resonated, "race" setup. Having said that, the Cobb products have not yet landed and I found nothing on the FRPP product.

[Edit: MRT is definitely growing on me. Hah.]

YMMV.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks, that was a lot of work on your part. I have the Magnaflow and love the sound and look. Once I had the rear muffler mount added, it is much better. It was odd that Magnaflow did not have a fix for this problem. The tips of the system would just bounce around and hit the cutout in the rear bumper.
Ron

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks, that was a lot of work on your part. I have the Magnaflow and love the sound and look. Once I had the rear muffler mount added, it is much better. It was odd that Magnaflow did not have a fix for this problem. The tips of the system would just bounce around and hit the cutout in the rear bumper.
Ron
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing that info. I did not know there was an issue with the Magnaflow hanger setup. Is that documented someplace, or were you just lucky enough to encounter this feature on your own? The 2J Racing setup looks very similar, but does include a hanger on the muffler. That one uses 3-inch piping and sounds pretty good too; it's mellow, but more substantial compared to stock. I'll keep that one in mind as well. The more muffled exhausts will be less attention grabbing if connected to a catless downpipe.

As far as the power gains in your signature, is that what you actually measured via dyno, or is that the manufacturer's stated bump? Just curious.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing that info. I did not know there was an issue with the Magnaflow hanger setup. Is that documented someplace, or were you just lucky enough to encounter this feature on your own? The 2J Racing setup looks very, but does include a hanger on the muffler. Uses 3-inch piping and sounds pretty good too; it's mellow, but more substantial compared to stock. I'll keep that one in mind as well. The more muffled exhausts will be less attention grabbing if connected to a catless downpipe.

As far as the power gains in your signature, is that what you actually measured via dyno, or is that the manufacturer's stated bump? Just curious.
The power #'s came from Magnaflow. I did a thread on my install and problems. Magnaflow insisted that there system did not need any extra mounting points. And no, I did not know about this problem before I had it installed on my car by GALPIN Auto Sport. They were surprised as well. They had install my daughter system and have installed them on many Mustangs and Foucuses .My daughter"s 2013 Miata Club exhaust was a perfect fit.
Ron

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The power #'s came from Magnaflow. I did a thread on my install and problems. Magnaflow insisted that there system did not need any extra mounting points. And no, I did not know about this problem before I had it installed on my car by GALPIN Auto Sport. They were surprised as well. They had install my daughter system and have installed them on many Mustangs and Foucuses .My daughter"s 2013 Miata Club exhaust was a perfect fit.
Ron
Could you provide a link to that Magnaflow install thread?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts

Borla R&D Video - Fiesta ST PN# 140525 Catback
That's the one i have, man i love it. The turbo noise through the exhaust is mind boggling loud.

Reactions: OxWhiteFiST92

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really like the sound of the Milltek without the resonator. Anyone have this? Wondering if its loud on the highway at all or if its quiet at low throttle.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts