Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received the 3" Scorpion exhaust system from Essex Parts and had it installed after my dyno baseline. Unfortunately I was not able to dyno the car again later that afternoon but plan on going back to verify improved performance. Overall, installation was pretty straight forward and is a direct bolt-on*. The tips are about flush with the stock location and I will recommend to Scorpion that they be extended 1" so the tips will be visible when looking straight down from the top of the bumper. It still looks pretty awesome the way it is. The hanger bushings as supplied with the exhaust are a bit short and tear too easily. The hangers weren't perfect either. The front three had to be heated up and bent just a little to use the stock hanger bushings. Unfortunately that made the tips location too close to the rear valence. To get the tips positioned right (center and with 25-30mm clearance). A new rear hanger had to be fabricated and the old one had to be cut off to make it perfect. Other than that, it fits perfectly. I will be communicating with Scorpion to make the changes needed for future systems for US-spec cars. The exhaust is definitely louder than stock but absolutely no nasty raspiness or high frequency "noise". It has an exotic sounding low bassy tone that gets more frantic as revs climb. I will try to provide a decent sound clip but this will prove difficult to do solo and without a Go Pro. Performance... let's just say those worried about 3" exhaust systems on a 1.6L engine can lay their worries to rest. Turbo lag is =GREATLY= reduced and my car now pulls to redline with very little noticeable taper or loss of power to the 7,000 rpm rev-limit. I will be doing a dyno test of the exhaust to verify power gains in the next few days. MSRP is $906.00

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Tips

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
the scorpion looks fantastic!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks bad ass with that DZll in the picture ;)
Thanks. This car is turning out to be one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Period. And I've owned some really good cars! The subtle enhancements I have made to date have only made it that much better. I have to go back to Cobb Tuning on Tuesday or Wednesday for another dyno session to see if the exhaust system makes any difference in power. Sure feels like it!!! :D

Reactions: COBB and joker96

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Looks good, but man for $906 I would expect much better fitment. As far as I know the chassis itself is unchanged from the 2 door model, so I'd say that's a little unacceptable and is not a direct bolt on if your having to modify the hangers.
Hopefully after you tell to them they can remedy those issues. Looking forward to the sound clip!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks good, but man for $906 I would expect much better fitment. As far as I know the chassis itself is unchanged from the 2 door model, so I'd say that's a little unacceptable and is not a direct bolt on if your having to modify the hangers.
Hopefully after you tell to them they can remedy those issues. Looking forward to the sound clip!
Could just be that pipes need turning a hair here and there. They fit inside each other and use clamps to seal them. For perfect alignment, they should have an arrow on each pipe that lines up together when it is a perfect fit. I will take a look at it more closely in the next few days. I think the main issue was that I had to use the OEM hanger bushings because the ones supplied were not long enough. One of them tore too. I did not install the exhaust system.

Reactions: Colin1337

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try to put something together tomorrow. :p

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That exhaust looks SICK! And I know you didnt pay the MSRP :p

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
No, you are right... I got a great deal BUT I did end up paying shipping, which is very expensive. So far I am as happy as a wolf in a hen house with it. I'm going to establish a baseline on a Dynojet dyno in an hour just for sh*ts and giggles and then head back to Cobb to test the exhaust against my baseline on their Mustang Dyno sometime this week. Then I will install the FSWERKs intake, and do dyno tests on both dynos, again just for silly comparison sake. If Cobb is planning on bringing out intake and exhaust components for the Fiesta ST, this will be a great opportunity for them to see how the car responds to these mods from other companies and have a target to meet or exceed. :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By any chance did you pop the thing onto a bathroom scale before you installed it? Curious if it's any lighter than the stock system.
Why, yes, yes I did. Despite it being 3" diameter piping, it is still a tick over 5 pounds lighter. :)

Reactions: k757 and rodmoe

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, looks like today is the day for a sound clip. I need to find a quiet, remote place to do this sort of thing. I get embarrassed easily. LOL :p

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Not the best sound clip but if you listen carefully on deceleration, you can hear lots of popping and bubbly sounds... definitely louder than stock but no raspiness. I think the next part of the recipe will be a DP and I imagine it will add just the right amount of "angriness" (is that really a word?) lol. Anyways, I will attempt to do a drive away, drive by & in cabin video this evening when my wife is around to hold the camera. :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds really good. I don't remember, but did you ever extend the tips? I know you had said that you would have liked them extended a little bit (1" or so), but I think they look really good tucked right where they are now.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts