Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I made the error of not getting the Recaros in my car, and now kind of wish I had a little more seat support.
Buying the recaros outright now is just far to costly, and no one is going to part with theirs (for a reasonable price.) So my only option is the aftermarket.

I found a seat base that SHOULD work in the FiST. Its for an 08+ fiesta, I can't imagine the base bolt patterns changed since then.
So then I just need the sliders and the seat.

My only concern is the airbags. I've done some reading and I guess in some cars, if your airbag light is on, it will disarm the entire system? Does anyone have any experience with swapping seats on cars, and knows a way to get around this so the airbag light will remain off?

I've never dealt with anything like this, so please excuse my noobness haha.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Honestly, I love the Recaros, but part of me wishes I bought a base just to put something different/lighter in. I'd love to do a rear seat delete, but cant bring myself to do it yet bc of the price I paid for the damn things lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Honestly, I love the Recaros, but part of me wishes I bought a base just to put something different/lighter in. I'd love to do a rear seat delete, but cant bring myself to do it yet bc of the price I paid for the damn things lol.
Soooooo I really wish they had given us the 3 door fiesta with 197 hp because I want the rear seats gone too, however I can't do it with the fact that it's a 4 door. It's just way too awkward.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The resistor for the airbag depends on the car. For example on the 2010 and earlier 135 you can use a resistor trick to avoid the airbag lights, but on the 2011's and up you cannot. Its a bit more complicated than just the airbag part b/c then there's the seat occupancy sensor as well as the seatbelt sensor. They all tie in together for the airbag system. I'd recommend maybe talking with the group that builds the spec b fiesta. I'd imagine the regular fiesta uses a similar airbag system as the ST.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The resistor for the airbag depends on the car. For example on the 2010 and earlier 135 you can use a resistor trick to avoid the airbag lights, but on the 2011's and up you cannot. Its a bit more complicated than just the airbag part b/c then there's the seat occupancy sensor as well as the seatbelt sensor. They all tie in together for the airbag system. I'd recommend maybe talking with the group that builds the spec b fiesta. I'd imagine the regular fiesta uses a similar airbag system as the ST.
Well, I should be able to swap the seatbelt and weight sensor over. The resistor is the only variable at this point
I'll probably get in touch with those group B guys and see what they say.
Thanks !

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well, I should be able to swap the seatbelt and weight sensor over. The resistor is the only variable at this point
I'll probably get in touch with those group B guys and see what they say.
Thanks !
Let me know if you find anymore out about this. I might swap out my seats in the future as well. Are you looking at any aftermarket seat in particular?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me know if you find anymore out about this. I might swap out my seats in the future as well. Are you looking at any aftermarket seat in particular?
Nothing too expensive. I'm thinking of the Sparco R100, or maybe a bride replica. Yes I know I know, replicas suck blah blah. But the miata guys have been using these ones from sonic motors with great success.
Sonic Motor GS Reclinable Bucket Seat - Sonic Motor - Power and Performance

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
As as instructor for a few different track day orgs...i've spend my fair share in race seats. I will say I dislike corbeaus the most. They are very flimsy and just don't feel secure to me. Cobra's are close second in that bad category. By far the most comfortable seats i've been in are Racetechs. Sparco's aren't bad either, but they generally are a bit narrow for me. Just thought i'd share my $.02.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As as instructor for a few different track day orgs...i've spend my fair share in race seats. I will say I dislike corbeaus the most. They are very flimsy and just don't feel secure to me. Cobra's are close second in that bad category. By far the most comfortable seats i've been in are Racetechs. Sparco's aren't bad either, but they generally are a bit narrow for me. Just thought i'd share my $.02.
Thanks for info. Looks like Racetech only has non-reclining seats though. I was also looking at the Sparco Chrono Road. They do have 2 sizes, but I don't think the wider one would fit in the FiST. I wish there was somewhere around me where I could see some of these seats in person.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The info is appreciated. I'm still wrestling with whether I want to do this or not.
Ever had any experience with replicas? They seem to be hit or miss with people. I know they aren't FIA approved (90% of the time) but I'm not really concerned with that.

Thanks for info. Looks like Racetech only has non-reclining seats though. I was also looking at the Sparco Chrono Road. They do have 2 sizes, but I don't think the wider one would fit in the FiST. I wish there was somewhere around me where I could see some of these seats in person.
The chrono does look nice.
The R100 is just sooooo cheap, its hard to not go with it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The info is appreciated. I'm still wrestling with whether I want to do this or not.
Ever had any experience with replicas? They seem to be hit or miss with people. I know they aren't FIA approved (90% of the time) but I'm not really concerned with that.

The chrono does look nice.
The R100 is just sooooo cheap, its hard to not go with it.
Seats are pretty important. It may be fine and dandy to get a cheap set that look cool, but a good set of seats are more comfortable as well as safe. Recaro makes the best seats both aftermarket as well as OEM. If you crash and wind up injuring yourself, really what is a couple hundred dollars you saved?

Sparco's are good quality but only their higher end seats. I find their cheap and middle range seats a little questionable. Perhaps they got cocky and let their brand image sell the seats rather than pure quality. Their competition seats are amazing, but they have to be because they have to be certified. Their street seats don't have to be.

I have sat in many race seats in my day and I used to think Sparco's were great...until I sat in a Recaro. Recaro's feel like a perfect glove. A decent set of seats will gain you seconds on a track lap. You never realize how much you are leaving on the table when you brace going into corners. When you are in a proper race seat, you can use your finger tips. It is truly an amazing feeling.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you're going to spend money on seats, get fixed back seats. The adjustable ones just aren't worth it imo. They are generally not very comfy and are for looks, more so than actual use. A good quality fix back seat is really more comfortable. I routinely make 3-4 hour drives in my race car to/from the track in them w/o issue.

As is with most things car related, you get what you pay for. If you want to pay little for a seat, you're going to get a cheap seat. Don't forget to factor in the mounting bits too, they generally add up to a few hundred dollars when doing two seats. Also, aftermarket seats tend to sit higher than oem seats unless you're going for a fixed position seat (ie. no sliding mechanism).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm going to check out some seats (Sparco and Recaro) next week.
Only the Passenger side has the weight sensor...right? Do these cars have seat mounted airbags? And I would then need to probably need to use the resistor? or is the resistor for the weight sensor?

thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm going to check out some seats (Sparco and Recaro) next week.
Only the Passenger side has the weight sensor...right? Do these cars have seat mounted airbags? And I would then need to probably need to use the resistor? or is the resistor for the weight sensor?

thanks
Let us know what you think of the seats.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Let us know what you think of the seats.
Will do! I didn't go check them out. Since I have not been able to find out where the weight sensors and other airbag related electronics are In the stockers.
I have checked all the Ford Parts sites. Maybe I'm just missing it. I couldn't find it in the Ford Shop manual cd. I'll get back working on it someday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I wanted the recaros but they just didn't fit my shoulders... I kinda wished I just got them and wedged myself in there...I figured if this was gonna be my daily though I should get something I actually fit in, so I'm hoping eventually to get some aftermarkets as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts