Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, saw a couple posts about installing a hitch but no answers. So had anyone found an actual hitch that fits our car? Everything I find online says "excluding ST." I only need this for my mountain bike, so don't need to tow. Don't trust trunk mounts so those are out. Would you suggest a roof rack as a better option? Itching to go hit some trails! Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Roof Rack is by far the best option over a hitch. Any hitch that does get made for the ST will surely involve cutting the rear bumper cover. Why not just put your bike in the car?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roof Rack is by far the best option over a hitch. Any hitch that does get made for the ST will surely involve cutting the rear bumper cover. Why not just put your bike in the car?
Yeah I figured that may be the case. Not to mention this car sits low enough that clearance may be an issue. I can't just put my bike in the car because I frequently have a couple riders with me, and lots of times take my dogs when I go on longer trips. Looks like the only roof racks I'm seeing are the ones that clamp on above the door. Little ugly looking but it'll work I suppose

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm right there with ya... My giant is about too heavy for the roof, I'd end up scratching the car :(
How much does your Giant weigh? I usually take two full suspension 29ers when I ride, about 30lbs a piece. I'm half tempted to try going the hitch rack route but the low clearance of this car makes me nervous.

·
Vendor
418 Posts
I've always had a hitch mount rack and love them, but I'll probably go the roof rack way when my Fiesta ST finally gets here. The angles on steep inclines and the added weight of a hitch + rack + leveraged heavy bike on a lowered car are why I'm thinking of the roof mount option. The Kuat Trio looks awesome.

Ian

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am thinking a trailer might be the only way I could transport my Kayaks. I would be towing about 300lbs. including the trailer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can shed some light on this subject. I too wanted a hitch mount bike rack for my Fiesta ST, so I bought a Curt hitch from Auto Anything. It said it fits all 2014 Fiestas. It did bolt up to the car quite easily and was well made. The only scary part was that I had to cut off part of the heat shield between the muffler and the gas tank. Problem is, the Fiesta ST has a different exhaust which kept knocking against the hitch, so in the end, I had to remove the hitch and send it back for a refund. I actually did speak with the folks at Curt Hitch and made them aware of the problem. They said if they ever made a hitch specifically for the ST, they would let me know. Then I had to buy a new heat shield ($30) from Ford and install it. Live and learn.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can shed some light on this subject. I too wanted a hitch mount bike rack for my Fiesta ST, so I bought a Curt hitch from Auto Anything. It said it fits all 2014 Fiestas. It did bolt up to the car quite easily and was well made. The only scary part was that I had to cut off part of the heat shield between the muffler and the gas tank. Problem is, the Fiesta ST has a different exhaust which kept knocking against the hitch, so in the end, I had to remove the hitch and send it back for a refund. I actually did speak with the folks at Curt Hitch and made them aware of the problem. They said if they ever made a hitch specifically for the ST, they would let me know. Then I had to buy a new heat shield ($30) from Ford and install it. Live and learn.
Thanks for the info. I should just suck it up and buy a roof rack already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a Talon ~2 weeks ago and it works really well. It's very sturdy and I can have it mounted and loaded up in <5 minutes. So far I've only used it to transport my Alu roadie, but that probably weighs in around 20 lbs. I would suggest going for the ladder strap upgrade though, just not a fan of that Velcro, and make sure you keep the rack indoors when you aren't using it (if the cups are cold when you mount they wont hold great).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah, good to hear someone has tested this, thank you! On a side note, did you happen to take any photos of the hitch mounted up? What part of the exhaust hits the hitch and how badly did it rattle?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. The hitch has a curved metal part that took the place of half of the heat shield between the gas tank and the muffler. Since the muffler on the ST is apparently larger than a regular Fiesta, it would knock against the hitch when cornering or going over bumps. I did not take any pictures. The knocking was enough that eventually, the muffler would have been compromised. Had the muffler been smaller, the hitch would have worked perfectly. The hitch was well made and bolted up pretty easily (although it took two persons to line it up correctly).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi. The hitch has a curved metal part that took the place of half of the heat shield between the gas tank and the muffler. Since the muffler on the ST is apparently larger than a regular Fiesta, it would knock against the hitch when cornering or going over bumps. I did not take any pictures. The knocking was enough that eventually, the muffler would have been compromised. Had the muffler been smaller, the hitch would have worked perfectly. The hitch was well made and bolted up pretty easily (although it took two persons to line it up correctly).
Thanks so much for the reply. I forgot to ask one last question... how was the fitment between the bumper and the receiver piece in the middle? Was the bumper pretty close or reasonably distant?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apparently drawtite has the same problem. Had one installed at uhaul today and the muffler hits it like crazy on turns and bumps. Why does this exhaust swing around so much? Doesn't seem right to me. I may go to an exhaust shop to see what they can do. The hitch would fit great if this damn exhaust didn't swing around so much. Is that normal?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Apparently drawtite has the same problem. Had one installed at uhaul today and the muffler hits it like crazy on turns and bumps. Why does this exhaust swing around so much? Doesn't seem right to me. I may go to an exhaust shop to see what they can do. The hitch would fit great if this damn exhaust didn't swing around so much. Is that normal?
Good to know, thanks! When you get a chance, please take some photos of the undercarriage to see how the muffer fits inside of the hitch curve. Thanks!

So the exhaust fits fine and the muffler doesn't hit anything when the car is standing still?

Oh, and how close does the receiver sit compared to the middle of the bumper?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to know, thanks! When you get a chance, please take some photos of the undercarriage to see how the muffer fits inside of the hitch curve. Thanks!

So the exhaust fits fine and the muffler doesn't hit anything when the car is standing still?

Oh, and how close does the receiver sit compared to the middle of the bumper?
Ill get some pics for you tomorrow. Standing still it fits great with room to spare even. I was really surprised to see how much movement is in this exhaust!! I'll get this figured out one way or another

·
Registered
18 Posts
I must agree with Skeeter97. Standing still, the hitch fit very well. I had no idea the exhaust swung around so much!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts