Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Must be spring. I installed a Hidden Hitch today to my MO FIST as well. Installation went surprisingly easy, I also fitted it with this hanger:

12mm 4 Holes Exhaust Muffler Poly Urethane Racing Hanger JDM Euro Cars Yellow | eBay

No pics yet (Sorry), got a bit dark before I had the chance, but so far the set up seems like a good one. I've got 600 mile road trip on Tuesday, should be a good check to see if there are any muffler issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Love seeing all the FiSTs with hitches! I saw your post on MTBR too J Westy, nice review.

Ian
FWIW This thread was invaluable when I was making my decisions about installing one.

Drove mine back from Southern Indiana to Minneapolis last week, with the new hanger and Hidden Hitch I didn't have any noticeable muffler issues. As soon as the weather gets warmer I'll test it out with a Bike Rack and some weekend trips but so far I'm pleased with how it went.

·
Registered
76 Posts
do you think a FiST with a hitch welded under it could tow a single waverunner? I think it would be a hilarious sight but my friend had a hitch put on his Acura TL(i think it was a TL) and he towed his waverunner with it. Just curious.

·
Registered
96 Posts
do you think a FiST with a hitch welded under it could tow a single waverunner? I think it would be a hilarious sight but my friend had a hitch put on his Acura TL(i think it was a TL) and he towed his waverunner with it. Just curious.
The two things I'd be worried about: The stress it would put on the clutch and the tongue weight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know why not... the owner's manual both here and europe say the ST isn't rated for towing which is strange, but it seems like it might just be because Ford didn't submit it for certification or because they don't offer a factory hitch?

Heck, you could probably tow a small camper like this too:

·
Registered
8 Posts
finally got a chance to do a test run with the Hidden Hitch and a Curt Bike Rack. Really liking how it turned out.
Cool!

We put two bike on our drawtite / 1upusa setup about a week ago too. It's nice to be able to get to the trail with better fuel economy than the Explorer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wanted to share some more information.

I bought both hitches so I could inspect both options myself. I know on this forum some people were complaining about flex. My observations.

Curt Weight: 30.8lbs
Draw-Tite/Hidden Weight: 28.8lbs

The plates on both hitches are the same gauge steel. The exhaust side plate is bent in the exact same way on both hitches which makes me believe that the exhaust clearance is the same for both hitches.

The right side is slightly different in design between the two.

The curt is fully welded where end end plates connect to the actual hitch tube. The Draw-Tite is partially welded.

Both hitches have the exact same surface area where the hitch meets the frame of the car. This makes me think any flex you feel is due to flex of the frame of the car itself, and won't vary based on the design.

I imagine any flex you experience is coming straight off the frame.

image3.jpg image2.jpg image1.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm looking for some help from any guru's who've fitted their own hitch.
I live in the UK and will soon be getting an ST. I need a bike carrier and want a towbar. Trouble is in the UK we have towbars with swan neck balls which dont fit the ST without cutting and destroying the bumber.
I've been reading a lot about the US style hitches and think this would be the perfect solution. What I need to know is would there be much reason that a US hitch (probably gunning towards the Curt 11067?) wouldn't fit a UK spec 3 door ST as well as the US spec 5 door?
I've looked at the UK towbars and they fit 3 and 5 door cars, but do look quite different to the US hitches:
FORD FIESTA MK7 WITTER TOWBAR WITH ELECTRICS & BYPASS RELAY Bilston, Dudley

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, I'm looking for some help from any guru's who've fitted their own hitch.
I live in the UK and will soon be getting an ST. I need a bike carrier and want a towbar. Trouble is in the UK we have towbars with swan neck balls which dont fit the ST without cutting and destroying the bumber.
I've been reading a lot about the US style hitches and think this would be the perfect solution. What I need to know is would there be much reason that a US hitch (probably gunning towards the Curt 11067?) wouldn't fit a UK spec 3 door ST as well as the US spec 5 door?
I've looked at the UK towbars and they fit 3 and 5 door cars, but do look quite different to the US hitches:
FORD FIESTA MK7 WITTER TOWBAR WITH ELECTRICS & BYPASS RELAY Bilston, Dudley

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just make sure to check the hitch model numbers between a base Fiesta and the Fiesta ST in case any clearance is made for the rear valence difference. If you go back in this thread to post #51 and post #54 you can see how the Curt 11067 fits on my 2014 FiST. Hopefully you can get one of those shipped to your area.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Any idea if these hitches work with the Borla or Cobb exhaust?
Those look to be about the same size as OEM so they'll most likely fit sitting there but may have the same bumping issue when the car is loaded up in a turn. You just need to have an exhaust shop weld in another hanger to make it sturdy or look into the other solutions in this thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All, New to the group and loving my 2016 Fiesta ST. Just had a 2" hitch installed and thought you would be interested. Bracket bolted to the bumper support and to the spare tire well for additional support. A local fab shop did the job.
Fiesta_Hitch.jpg

G

·
I just got a Draw-Tite for my Fiesta ST, Does anyone see an issue with running a shorter hanger insulator and snugging the exhaust up to the hitch to prevent the banging?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have fully solved the muffler banging issue! (Curt 11067 hitch here, for a bike rack.)

1. Install this rubber exhaust hanger or equivalent on the lowest/longest hole. This lowers the muffler just enough to prevent the top from rattling against the hitch going over bumps.

2. To fix the banging during hard cornering, spend approx. $2 on self-adhesive felt blankets -- the sticky-back soft pads that keep the feet of furniture from gouging the floor. Walmart has them in the hardware section. Cut a rectangle of this stuff a couple inches long. Look on the hitch where the muffler is making contact, you'll see the marks. Stick the pad on the hitch, centered on the marks. Go drive sideways, enjoy the peace and quiet.

I don't know how the pad will hold up to the heat. The muffler only makes contact during high-G cornering. If it melts through, I'll let y'all know. A package of this stuff includes enough material to replace it several times if needed.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts