Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ESM looks nice but just to heavy, the RM125 Motegi is light enough but not sure how strong as the design of the spokes seems a weak point and just 7.5" wide.....

Flow formed, rolled rims, etc...BBS, Enkei and others others make very strong low weight wheels at affordable prices(BBS less so on price) but not taking care of us, yet at least.

Any word from anybody out there?

If this was a few years ago I would of made this happen but now retired and going full time RV.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
To heavy for my needs unfortunately.

For the money I could get some redrilled, filled, etc, RPF1's.

In another post I mentioned I just talked to my favorite high end, and should of mentioned real race wheel manf, CCW, for around $2k I can get some two piece wheels but they have to look into getting the barrels needed if I have to go to 8.5 instead of 9" wide.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Though a fairly limited market there has to be enough cars being sold as the regular Fiesta should fit the same, world wide, to make us some really good decently priced wheels the quality of BBS, Enkei, etc....

·
Registered
488 Posts
Enkei sells RP03 in 4x108 but they are like 300 a piece and I have no idea who distributes them...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Compomotive in the UK or what about rays or work wheels from Japan they all offer a wide range of offsets with custom drilled pcd. Forged and light not cheap though. I looked at some te37 in a 17x8 and all 4 including shipping was nearly 4k. You get what you pay for though I guess. Have a look at rota wheels as well

·
Registered
526 Posts
Why do you need an 8inch wide rim anyway? If you want a light wheel by going wider they will be heavy. Leaving you no option if you're worried about weight and absolutely need 8inch wide I'd say forged is your only option. I'd be interested to know what offset is required with an 8inch wide rim and what sized tyres you intend to run so it doesn't scrub inside or outside? My guess would be something between et35-et30?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tire width is directly proportional to wheel width. a 225 40 17 will be an over an inch wider contact patch on a 17x8 than a 225 40 17 on a 17x7 and about as wide as a 245 40 17 pinched on a 7. The sidewall pinch will actually negatively affect contact patch.

Aspect ratio also plays a role. My 16x7 wheels with a 205 50 16 are wider than the OE 205 40 17 on a 17x7 by about a quarter inch of useable contact patch.

Tire "science" is witchcraft. Using a wider tire on the same rim (improperly sized, too narrow) will result in a LOSS of performance.

Why do you need an 8inch wide rim anyway? If you want a light wheel by going wider they will be heavy. Leaving you no option if you're worried about weight and absolutely need 8inch wide I'd say forged is your only option. I'd be interested to know what offset is required with an 8inch wide rim and what sized tyres you intend to run so it doesn't scrub inside or outside? My guess would be something between et35-et30?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If we want more tire without changing the final drive ratio then there is nothing in 17 that will work for wheels, if we can live with a little change as would be good for 60MPH autocross and not change to 3rd gear then 215/40/15 but anything in 225 is getting really tall, messing with gearing and I have read of rubbing issues. (225 is width of course but they go by aspect ratio and none of the manf follow the math exactly)

Wider is better as long as you have proper tires on them, a bit of a stretch is real performance, skinny tires on wide wheels is a ricer thing, narrow wheels, wide tires, not so great, having a bit of sidewall for real world driving is also a plus.....

I looked into Volks, etc, their prices are completely nuts and I have owned a set. They are just not worth that much money, I can get the same quality as long as they have the dies to make them, from CCW for around $2k, really.

If FORD had somebody clearly thinking they would of geared the car and made a bit wider fender openings, 4x100 bolt pattern or 5x114.3 even better, we could easily get a set of great low weight real performance wheels for under $1k.

I did not see a weight listed on those Koya wheels, weight is the mortal enemy of real performance, wheels and tires being the most important of all so be careful there.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can only find 15x8 +32, not the right fitment in Buddy Club wheels.

I prefer 16x8 but 15x8 or 8.5 possibly, is what I am looking into but we need at least a 40mm offset, best to have the wheels centered over the hubs as close to stock as we can.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I have 15x8/4x108/35mm offset, w/63.4 hub bore Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels in stock. Weight is 14.9lbs. Price is $179.50 each/$718 per set + shipping. Spec 390 (no lettering). Anthracite or matte black.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've also been considering sparco assetto gara from the tyre rack. Even shipping these to aussie I think I'm looking at around $900 and delivered to my door

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Reactions: PCA-1

·
Registered
946 Posts
Not as bad as I thought! Definitely interested to see those TD's on the car! What model are those?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Reactions: PCA-1
1 - 20 of 42 Posts