Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this when I was throwing my car around some corners. When I come out I usually get a ton of wheelspin with TSC completely off, the problem is stability control and traction control are tied together, so if you want to go sideways you also have to be gentle with the throttle on exit (which isn't always a bad thing). But I was wondering if it was possible to get a tune (maybe from COBB?) that allows you to defeat stability control but enable ONLY traction control, in either normal or sport mode.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You wouldn't want traction control to kick in like that without stability control. Traction control kills your power and applies brakes - which already makes it useless. It doesn't just magically prevent wheelspin from happening - it detects it and then reacts. Best/easiest thing to do is just avoid the wheelspin - it's a part of having the power. A proper diff might help you.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You wouldn't want traction control to kick in like that without stability control. Traction control kills your power and applies brakes - which already makes it useless. It doesn't just magically prevent wheelspin from happening - it detects it and then reacts. Best/easiest thing to do is just avoid the wheelspin - it's a part of having the power. A proper diff might help you.
Yeah I've considered all this, the Sport mode for traction control is pretty good, it allows for a good amount of wheel spin before kicking in (and cutting engine power), but the sport mode stability control limits fun way too much IMO, as soon as I start to rotate it kicks in and turns the car back.

I had high hopes the TVCS would be more like a proper diff, but it doesn't seem to work like I hoped. At some point I'll probably invest in a mechanical LSD diff.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you're getting a lot of wheel spin coming out of a corner...you're gettting on the throttle a bit to agressive/early. Smooth out your driving style. Think of a string connect to your gas pedal and to the bottom of your steering wheel. Only time your foot is flat is when the wheel is pointed strait. As you give more steering angle, the throttle should come up ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're getting a lot of wheel spin coming out of a corner...you're gettting on the throttle a bit to agressive/early. Smooth out your driving style. Think of a string connect to your gas pedal and to the bottom of your steering wheel. Only time your foot is flat is when the wheel is pointed strait. As you give more steering angle, the throttle should come up ;)
Yeah I know the "string theory" (Welcome to Instant Rimshot). I think that TSC off + 185 width winter tires is my biggest issue. SPRING NEEDS TO SHOW UP SOON, I want to mount my sticky tires... Even straight line in 3rd gear going about 50mph I can get the wheels spinnin' on dry pavement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts