Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its my understanding that twincharging is usually done by supercharging an already turbo'd motor. I understand there are a ton of logistics behind it and often is not cost effective. Had a M62 lying around for my previous car soo >.>

·
Registered
182 Posts
Would really only benefit the Fiesta if you wanted to go to a huge turbo with lots of lag for the sake of a huge power number.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would really only benefit the Fiesta if you wanted to go to a huge turbo with lots of lag for the sake of a huge power number.
Yeah that was an idea I saw thrown around on the 300hp thread quite a bit though. Seems everyone wants to slap on a giant turbo but nobody is sure if the 1.6L can spool it well enough.

·
Registered
253 Posts
it actually makes good sense for these cars, as we have more low end torque then we can use. If you could fit a centri sc on it to get some airflow on the top end. Though I don't think that would work without an extravigant turbo bypass system to keep from spooling the hell out of the turbo.

I think in general the concept is used to get air to a motor before the turbo spools, with the sc. If you could make it work in reverse with a centri blower like a vortech, You could get some more top end power. Probably not cost effective vs jsut giving up some spool and putting an efr 6258 or some other fancy new turbo on it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Compound boost is a royal pain in the ass. Tuning nightmare, lots of moving parts and variables, and the blower both takes power to make power, and eventually becomes a restriction point when getting in higher power applications. My buddies terminator had Helion's TT/stock Eaton compound boost kit, and once we turned the wick up the blower became the main restriction and it actually made more power pulling the blower off and putting an N/A intake on it. Guess my point is, just choose a turbo that meets your needs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Its my understanding that twincharging is usually done by supercharging an already turbo'd motor. I understand there are a ton of logistics behind it and often is not cost effective. Had a M62 lying around for my previous car soo >.>
Hmm, possible former Ion Redline/ Cobalt SS owner?

On topic, I've seen twincharging cause tuners a lot of nightmares. Plus, the M62 just seems like it would be overkill on this small an engine.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Compound boost is a royal pain in the ass. Tuning nightmare, lots of moving parts and variables, and the blower both takes power to make power, and eventually becomes a restriction point when getting in higher power applications. My buddies terminator had Helion's TT/stock Eaton compound boost kit, and once we turned the wick up the blower became the main restriction and it actually made more power pulling the blower off and putting an N/A intake on it. Guess my point is, just choose a turbo that meets your needs.
Compounding is different is it not? Twincharging is easy compared to compounding.

I thought compounding is a GT28R to get you started off then a GT40R for top end. That always needs crazy boost controlling methods and crazy manifold set ups

·
Registered
946 Posts
Compounding is different is it not? Twincharging is easy compared to compounding.

I thought compounding is a GT28R to get you started off then a GT40R for top end. That always needs crazy boost controlling methods and crazy manifold set ups
You're thinking of the compound setups that supras use I think, where they run two different turbo sizes (small and a larger) inline. Compound boost as far as I know, refers to boost coming from two different sources, ex: roots/twin screw/centrifugal blower "powering" a turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts