Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, new member here from the UK.

Loving the cars performance/handling but am concerned about possible oil consumption.

When the car threw a CEL it was in the dealership for 7-8 days over three visits and when the car was handed backed to me when they finally fixed it, the service lady reads the technicians report out to me which said he'd had to add 2.5L of oil (@2000 miles!)

Since then the car has had another 0.5L added by two technicians in front of me and the service manager. The dip stick is a nightmare to read and is all over the place. It took the two techs 15 minutes to work it out!

I'm now at 2800 miles and have checked the level both warm and cold on level ground and the readings are three ribs/threads from max warm and at "A" minimum when cold. When the two technicians added the half litre, it was two ribs/threads down from max on a warm engine.

A few notes:

1, The car was originally in for a replacement exhaust camshaft sensor and when that didn't work they had the car 5 days and performed what they called a "Crankshaft Adjustment" which I've been told makes no sense and probably means timing?
2, The dealer is being very awkward about this (even with Ford customer services!) and am trying to get the car checked beyond driving 500 miles and having the oil level topped up.
3, No CEL since the crankshaft adjustment fix or other obvious symptoms except the below.
4, I have video of what looks like burning oil from the exhaust after a 60 mile run when revved to ~4000RPM. I'll edit this post with the video if that would be OK?

Anyone else having oil consumption issues or a problem with a inconsistent dip stick? My biggest worry is actually with the technician adding the original 2.5L of oil. Could it have been overfilled (because of the dodgy dip stick) and caused all the subsequent oil issues?

Cheers Chris.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saw your post on Fiesta faction Forum. That really sucks! :(
Thanks:) I'm just frustrated because it has been over a month now and nothing has been done. IMO it should have been investigated when the tech determined it was down 2.5L. That would be worse oil consumption than most owners of the infamous 1.4TSI engine cars!

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined...keep an eye on it. If you aren't...learn!

That is the only way to be 100% sure that it isn't the dealerships problem.

There is no reason that this car should burn oil. It isn't an old style motor that is built loosely.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yeah, over filling the crankcase with oil can cause issues, usually related to excessive oil pressure. Mine burns no oil but I only have 2,000 miles on mine and have changed the oil three times. lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are mechanically inclined...keep an eye on it. If you aren't...learn!

That is the only way to be 100% sure that it isn't the dealerships problem.

There is no reason that this car should burn oil. It isn't an old style motor that is built loosely.
I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable. I wouldn't claim to be able to do anything other than basic servicing on a car (I used to work at a Jaguar dealership). The technician that checked the car last said I shouldn't worry about the oil as the car as a oil light (yes, really) and a three year warranty, so what do I know!

Yeah, over filling the crankcase with oil can cause issues, usually related to excessive oil pressure. Mine burns no oil but I only have 2,000 miles on mine and have changed the oil three times. lol
What symptoms would having overfilled oil give? Reason I ask is on my way to work this morning the car behind had their high beams on and when I accelerated away I could see a fine mist in the lights and may have seen it a few weeks ago on the motorway too. Is that normal?

·
Registered
47 Posts
What symptoms would having overfilled oil give? Reason I ask is on my way to work this morning the car behind had their high beams on and when I accelerated away I could see a fine mist in the lights and may have seen it a few weeks ago on the motorway too. Is that normal?
You wouldn't typically see anything from the tail pipe...that's probably just normal condensation (which freaks people out every year when it gets cooler). If the oil is vastly overfilled you can end up with frothing which will cause fluctuations in oil pressure (and should set off the oil pressure light) which can lead to starvation and failure. There's usually a lot of wiggle room though so a bit over should be fixed but it's not something to panic about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You wouldn't typically see anything from the tail pipe...that's probably just normal condensation (which freaks people out every year when it gets cooler). If the oil is vastly overfilled you can end up with frothing which will cause fluctuations in oil pressure (and should set off the oil pressure light) which can lead to starvation and failure. There's usually a lot of wiggle room though so a bit over should be fixed but it's not something to panic about.
I really hope you're right. I'm fully aware I'm hypersensitive ATM with the car but if it was condensation I haven't seen it like that before. IIRC the outside temp gauge this morning was showing 8-10 degrees C.

I just hope the dealer service manager and Ford customer service rep end the argument they seem to be having and get my car checked ASAP!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought I'd post a picture of the oil level 15 days after dealer told me it was full (to my eye it was halfway between min/max....) Car goes to another dealer Tuesday. Followed handbook instructions to the letter just to be sure.

·
Registered
93 Posts

This is my dipstick, car has about 4000km on it. This is still the original factory oil. Your picture it looks like the oil is barely registering on the dipstick either that or your oil is so new can't see it in your picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the picture Marc. Looks much better than mine!

Can I ask whether the car was hot or cold and on a level surface when you checked it? Apparently, these engines are very sensitive about these things. When my picture was taken it was driven until warm and turned off for 10 minutes before checking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My car was cold, had been sitting in the garage all day without being driven. My garage floor is very close to being level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again Marc. I have been checking my level warm and cold daily and with it seemingly being quite low it doesn't seem to give different readings between the two. I doubt they'd be much difference either way.

Car will be getting checked over at the dealer this time tomorrow and hopefully I'll get some answers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts