Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using the Fumoto drain valve on their Fiesta ST? i am just wondering if it needs a spacer to get it on. Its a bit hard to tell by looking.

thank you

·
Registered
545 Posts
Part # did you order? F-106?

I haven't even looked to see about clearance issues. Would you mind taking pictures of your installed valve?

Thanks.
I do believe its the 106, yeah. I'll take pictures once its installed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm going to order the -S version, with the short nipple

·
Registered
545 Posts
The F106 fumoto drain valve does not fit. There simply is not enough clearance between the side of the valve, and the part of the oil pan closest to the drain. I couldn't even make one full revolution to get it threaded in, it just smacks against the pan and won't turn. I guess I'll return mine to Amazon. :(

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well damn...thats sucks. Thanks for being the guinea pig for us though and reporting back.
Sure, just don't want others making my mistake! It might fit with a large spacer but at that point it wouldn't even thread in. You'd need an adapter of some kind. And at that point, whatever.. I'll just use the regular plug.

·
Registered
269 Posts
These things freak me out for a few reasons:
1. What if the valve fails somehow or is otherwise knocked open or broken off by road debris? The likelihood, while low, is higher than with a conventional drain bolt.
2. Does the drain pan drain fully? The threads protrude into the pan and could prevent all the particulate matter from draining.

I guess I never understood the point of these things. Removing a drain pan bolt isn't hard. Why the need to reinvent the wheel? To each their own, I just don't see why.

·
Registered
545 Posts
These things freak me out for a few reasons:
1. What if the valve fails somehow or is otherwise knocked open or broken off by road debris? The likelihood, while low, is higher than with a conventional drain bolt.
2. Does the drain pan drain fully? The threads protrude into the pan and could prevent all the particulate matter from draining.

I guess I never understood the point of these things. Removing a drain pan bolt isn't hard. Why the need to reinvent the wheel? To each their own, I just don't see why.
1 - The valve is pretty fool-proof. It has a strong spring pushing a washer/ring onto the lever/locking tab, which pushes it down into a notch. The spring is beefy - It's pretty tough to move the lever. And with the drain plug facing rearward, I wasn't too worried of it scraping or knocking against anything.
2 - I suppose this is the most legitimate issue. But this alone wouldn't bother me too much, as you can never really get all of the old oil out in the first place, so it wouldn't make too much difference, IMO. Well, and for me personally, I am very fortunate to have access to a lift at work, so I can easily hike the front end up a few degrees higher than the rear to tilt it back enough to get the rest to drain.

As for why, I bought it for two reasons:

1. Would never have to worry about stripping threads again
2. Would never need tools for an oil change again
3. The drain plug crush gasket from Ford is like $5-$6, so this valve would pay for itself after about 6 oil changes, or 30,000 miles, so it seemed like there was nothing to lose.

And slightly cleaner oil changes, I guess. Unfortunately it just won't work with this style, but it's not a huge huge deal. $28 and a lesson learned!

·
Registered
545 Posts
FWIW someone on FiestaSTForum.com linked me to this adapter:

But now... ehh. Not so sure. Before, the end of the plug would sit flush with the end of the oil pan, meaning if I did back into anything big it the pressure wouldn't all be on the plug. But now it would stick out another inch or two, not sure if it's worth it at that point.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i just placed an order for the valve and the spacer that should make it work. I have a 2k before i am due for an oil change but i will let folks know if it works. Spacer is only 14mm long

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yeah, needing that adapter might put it into risky business... I've had my fair share of busted oil pans, but that's why I don't drive a VW any more :). Good to know that the adapter is required for anyone who may purchase one. Looks like it'll be a magnetic plug for me,

·
Registered
545 Posts
i just placed an order for the valve and the spacer that should make it work. I have a 2k before i am due for an oil change but i will let folks know if it works. Spacer is only 14mm long
14mm refers to the thread size not the total length. This looks about an 1-1.5 inches long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts