Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have my ST by March (I hope) and the beginning of auto-x season. The OEM wheels are heavy (~22 lbs) 17x7.... (I think these are correct)

Yes, the OZ Ultraleggera are top wheels, but the (Tire Rack) price seems a bit steep at $1080
Size: 17x7
Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 5.67"
Bolt Pattern: 4-108
Rec. Tire Size: 205/40-17
Weight: 16.0lbs.

Now the Motegi Racing MR125 look like a great deal and have a TR price of $692
Size: 17x7.5
Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 5.83"
Bolt Pattern: 4-108
Rec. Tire Size: 205/40-17
Weight: 16.4lbs.

Now the question with Motegi, they seem a bit wide to only have a 205 tire, no?

I'm coming from a '11 Subaru WRX with 17x8, 235 Dunlop Z2 tires (265 fit on the OEM wheels and on the WRX without rubbing).

What is the max size wheel and tire that people have used?

Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have always loved those rims.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got my car this past weekend. Plenty of time to prep for the season.

Besides weight and more meat on the tires, what is the advantage to dropping to 16" wheels?

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
You can go to a wider tire. The 215 on the 17inch rim is pretty tight. Also lighter weight/rolling mass/etc is a big help. You can actually get a 225/50 or a 225/45 to fit on a 16x7 wheel as well so a bit more meat. I'm looking at running my Fiesta in G-Street this year and STF next year so the 16inch is a good choice as the max width in STF is 225.

You really covered the two main reasons to do it, weight and width.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You can go to a wider tire. The 215 on the 17inch rim is pretty tight. Also lighter weight/rolling mass/etc is a big help. You can actually get a 225/50 or a 225/45 to fit on a 16x7 wheel as well so a bit more meat. I'm looking at running my Fiesta in G-Street this year and STF next year so the 16inch is a good choice as the max width in STF is 225.

You really covered the two main reasons to do it, weight and width.
Based on this
STREET TOURING® FWD (STF)
Acura
RSX
TSX
Chevrolet
Cobalt (2.2L, N/A)
Cruze (2008-14)
Sonic (non-turbo) (2012-14)
Volt (2011-14)
Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge
Neon (NOC) (2001-04)
Fiat
500 (non-turbo) (2012-13)
Ford
Fiesta (non-ST) (2011-13)
Focus (non-ST)
I am not sure it will be STF my Guess is STX Class with the FoST as it sits in GS with the FoST now .. but i could be off on this ..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Reactions: Cligedy

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Reactions: Cligedy

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will be interesting checking out national results to see if any FiST are competitive in STX.

I think GS is ripe for the taking. The real GS competition is what? FoST, Civic Si

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Actually I was talking about this with some other guys at our monthly auto-x meeting. The FiST seems to be missing so maybe it will go into STC? STX would be a bit of an over class if you ask me for a FWD car of the Fiesta stature.

GS is going to be a competitive class.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Actually I was talking about this with some other guys at our monthly auto-x meeting. The FiST seems to be missing so maybe it will go into STC? STX would be a bit of an over class if you ask me for a FWD car of the Fiesta stature.

GS is going to be a competitive class.
The FiST would seem to be outclassed in STX, but isn't listed in STC. The STC NOC states "up to 3.1L Normally aspirated."

Somebody needs to write a letter to get the FiST classed in STC explicitly, otherwise it'll be be a struggle in STX.

Fwiw, this will be easier once more FiSTs have been run and some results compiled. Everybody get out there and compete! :cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah the current rule book draft mentions all the NON-ST Fiesta but not the ST at all. I'm not currently an SCCA member but STC or STF not STX would be the good place to be.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah the current rule book draft mentions all the NON-ST Fiesta but not the ST at all. I'm not currently an SCCA member but STC or STF not STX would be the good place to be.
The FiST would seem to be outclassed in STX, but isn't listed in STC. The STC NOC states "up to 3.1L Normally aspirated."

Somebody needs to write a letter to get the FiST classed in STC explicitly, otherwise it'll be be a struggle in STX.

Fwiw, this will be easier once more FiSTs have been run and some results compiled. Everybody get out there and compete! :cool:
I agree i think the FiST would do ok but in STX it could be outgunned but then everyone thought last year the Twins would rule .. they did ok but they didn't own the class...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
142 Posts
Exactly, the twins did fairly competitive work but it was far from a dominating showing (especially at nats). I was going to end up joining SCCA this spring anyway so I will attempt to put in a proposal unless the latest fasttrack covers it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
So if the stock wheels are 17x7 you could theoretically go 16x7.5 correct? I'd like to go down one inch and wider on the tire (225 if possible? 215 if not)

Edit: Just saw in another thread 225's rub when close to full lock, so I guess 16x7 with a 215 tire is as wide as you could go without rubbing?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am waiting to see what Mods the Auto-X guys come up with to make this car go around corners faster. The people that race will only do somthing to make it faster, not because its "cool" or looks good. I would love to see what stiffer bushings/ motor mounts will do or even what alternative alignment specifications will do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well I'm planning on just running the stock wheels and the OEM Bridgestone's this season. I won't have the money to put into wheels and another set of tires until next season. I got the General G-Max all seasons as my daily driving tires, then when it warms up I'm just going to use up the Bridgestone's.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just ordered the 16x7 Sparco Assetto Gara Black with Dunlop Z2 (205/50-16) from Tire Rack. The deal was too good to pass up as I can pick them up from the Tire Rack distribution site in CT and not pay over $100 for shipping. The grey wheel option would have to be shipped. Black works on my black car.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts