Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car since late September. When I got mine, I think it was (from my research) likely the first one sold in WV, OH and KY. It's not a bragging point, but merely evidence from my searching throughout the month of September and telephoning dozens of dealerships looking for one on the lot.

The week I purchased mine, there were only 3 cars on lots within hundreds of miles. The red one that I purchased, a green one near my house and a white one in central Ohio.

I looked at the green one near my house but just didn't think I could live with that color. Oddly enough, that dealer website showed them with TWO green ST though only one of them had arrived at the time.
The salesman there was nice and we traded names, but I just didn't want the car he had.

Now, it's nearly 8 weeks later and another local dealer has a white one on their showroom floor. It's not sold yet. The dealer with the green one now has the other so they have TWO green ST with one parked in their showroom. The salesman from that dealership has called me with a question about if I would consider selling my red one to a customer of his because they cannot get any other ones (since they have 2 green).

With all that said, my thoughts and questions are:

Is availability really this limited? Are dealerships still struggling to get any in stock?

Why in the world would a rural (WV) Ford dealer order TWO green versions of what is already a model that's going to be hard to find?

The white one (at another local dealer) has been on their showroom floor for 3 weeks. I find it odd that it hasn't sold either. Is availability thin AND people aren't buying the Fiesta ST?
From what I read online, this is a popular, limited availability car, but I have 3 within 20 miles of my house collecting dust on showroom floors)

Just some observations. and curious what others are seeing in their area.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The dealer I ordered mine from also had a green and an orange FiST in well before mine arrived, and there they still sit.. Like you I figured they'd get bought right up. I'm guessing the colors are too in-your-face for most.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In Middle Tennessee, there are no FiST's on lots...Ford didn't even bring one to the Nashville Auto Show. Those green ST's would probably sell here. I suspect the Ohio and WV regions just don't like the colors available at the dealers you mentioned. I lived in NE Ohio for a number of years and can generalize that black, navy, gray and other dark (or neutral) colors are popular. I think PPG still publishes stat's on color popularity and values associated with impact on resale (for example, green = lower trade in value).

·
Registered
162 Posts
No dealerships around me have any - I had mine ordered.

The Fiesta (and small cars in general) isn't popular in the US, so I would assume the more expensive ST to be even less so.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was surprised to see order threads and struggles to find cars. I think I may have lucked out. The dealership near me had a Molten Orange, but I decided that wasn't the color for me. So I built a car online and within an hour I had an email from the dealer near me saying they located the exact car (Performance Blue, Recaro Seats, No Navi, No Sunroof). So I put down a deposit and they had it transferred over. 4 days later it arrived and I bought it on Saturday.

The only hiccup was it arrived and had Navi which was fine since they didn't charge me another dime for it. I looked at the window sticker and the car was a custom order that someone must have decided not to take.So lucky me I guess.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was surprised to see order threads and struggles to find cars. I think I may have lucked out. The dealership near me had a Molten Orange, but I decided that wasn't the color for me. So I built a car online and within an hour I had an email from the dealer near me saying they located the exact car (Performance Blue, Recaro Seats, No Navi, No Sunroof). So I put down a deposit and they had it transferred over. 4 days later it arrived and I bought it on Saturday.

The only hiccup was it arrived and had Navi which was fine since they didn't charge me another dime for it. I looked at the window sticker and the car was a custom order that someone must have decided not to take.So lucky me I guess.
Assuming your talking about the Frederick Motor Company (Ford) Molten Orange FiST without Recaros, that was the first one I test drove at the end in September (If I remember correctly). I can't believe that they still have it.

Like the FoST, I guess it has limited appeal.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Assuming your talking about the Frederick Motor Company (Ford) Molten Orange FiST without Recaros, that was the first one I test drove at the end in September (If I remember correctly). I can't believe that they still have it.

Like the FoST, I guess it has limited appeal.
I am indeed. I think the issue with it is most people want the Recaros.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A good discussion.

What I find interesting is that small cars, in general, do have limited appeal in the USA.
Complicate that with the most expensive version of a small car and you further restrict the appeal.
Further complicate that with the most expensive version with the most sharply focused styling/design intent (ST vs. a Titanium) and you further restrict the group of potential buyers.
Further, make it only available with a manual transmission, and you've cut that group of buyers down even further.

What you're left with is a car that's probably only being seriously considered by 1 of 10 potential Fiesta buyers that walk on the lot.

What I find interesting is that while Ford is getting mega amounts of media attention for this car, it seems in many ways to be suffering like the Focus ST. A limited amount of serious buyers really consider these cars, but they really are carrying the sporting flag for Ford and bringing in a lot of attention and positive press. I just hope that the attention is sufficient for them to continue supporting people like us by making cars like these.

Oddly enough, I heard a Ford engineer recently on a podcast say they cannot manufacture enough Raptors to meet the demand.

Another way to look at it is that October-January 1st is the dead time of the year for new cars. All this media attention is just to ramp up everyone for early 2014 auto show season and that's likely when more dealers will have the ST in stock and available for walk in purchase. All of us are severe early adopters, people who would have bought this car without any of media hype (most likely).

An interesting discussion. Regardless, I'm still amazed that there are 3 of these cars here in my town unsold after weeks on the lot. Ten (or more) people have stopped me and asked about the car and I have sent them to both dealerships. I can see, maybe, not buying one of those green ones, but that white one looks really nice.

·
Registered
923 Posts
There are plenty of Fiesta STs in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Two dealers I visited last week had at least 5 on their lot. I wanted a white Fiesta ST with the only options being the painted wheel package and navigation. VERY few cars were ordered in that configuration anywhere, so I settled for a silver one with painted wheels and sunroof.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'll add this... when people realize how fantastic this little car is, you will be hard pressed to find one. Right now the car hasn't received much attention. In my opinion, the Fiesta is more fun to drive (and live with daily) than the Focus ST. It also feels much tighter wound, and more of a drivers car than the 2011 Mazdaspeed3 I just sold. There's just something about a lightweight chassis and 123hp per liter that is so appealing (think Lotus). ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there.

I'm new, I'm a British expat to the United States and like the Ford Fiesta because it's the sort of cheap, high powered car I was used to there. I already own a Focus ST. My question is, when I was buying my Focus, I remember the build and price thing on the website. I ended up with a red Focus I found on a lot about 20 miles from me but it still wasn't exactly what I wanted. Basically, I don't need a tricked out model with leather seats and such, it's the car and engine size I'm looking for. As has already been discussed, it's hard to find an ST on a lot in your locale, or at least my locale. The only one close to me is in black with all the optional extras that I don't want. For those of you who ordered, did the car take a long time to get to you?

I'm also probably not looking to buy until January/February of next year. I'm only interested in getting red/blue/green. Seems that ones I can find are always grey or black.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hi there.

I'm new, I'm a British expat to the United States and like the Ford Fiesta because it's the sort of cheap, high powered car I was used to there. I already own a Focus ST. My question is, when I was buying my Focus, I remember the build and price thing on the website. I ended up with a red Focus I found on a lot about 20 miles from me but it still wasn't exactly what I wanted. Basically, I don't need a tricked out model with leather seats and such, it's the car and engine size I'm looking for. As has already been discussed, it's hard to find an ST on a lot in your locale, or at least my locale. The only one close to me is in black with all the optional extras that I don't want. For those of you who ordered, did the car take a long time to get to you?

I'm also probably not looking to buy until January/February of next year. I'm only interested in getting red/blue/green. Seems that ones I can find are always grey or black.
You forgot to mention where you are in the states. The three colors you like are a bit harder to find, at least around here. There are plenty of Molten Orange, Black and Silver STs around here. I have never seen a green one. Most of the white and blue ones I have seen are base models (no options).

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think an issue with the dealers selling theses cars is the price. A FiST with a few options is $25K. That is a lot of money for a small car IMO. I could have bout a 2011 Mustang GT with the Recaros, Brembo brakes package, nav. as well as nice aftermarket springs/shocks a CAI and tune for $26K. It had 30K miles. Honestly if I was only going to have one car I would have bought the GT but since I wanted the FiST for an economical econo ride the Mustang lost. I also just instructed a guy at NJMP that had bought a late model FoST 3, tangerine scream, for $26K. That is a pretty good deal and for an extra grand or two I think most people will go for the FoST.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I am also in the Denver area
My dealer was able to find and ship a Blue FiST with Records from New Mexico.

Got the car for "invoice" plus 500 for the shipping. Got the car 3 days later.

·
Registered
340 Posts
most people want big cars, they just dont get the small car idea. most young kids want high hp that they cant use. i have had cars from 450hp down to 40hp. a light weigh car with good hp and trq is really fun to drive. the fiesta st has a great tranny and plenty of power for real world drivng and u can get 2500 in rebates right now. hard to compare a mustang to the fiesta, i needed four doors, i picked up a white nav last week ... im now selling my 335 cab....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've only seen a small handful for sale in my area as well (DC metro).

Meanwhile I have no trouble finding '13 and '14 Focus STs collecting dust. Dealers I've talked to are giving HUGE discounts off the Focus ST, to the point where they are cheaper than a Fiesta.

·
Registered
923 Posts

Meanwhile I have no trouble finding '13 and '14 Focus STs collecting dust. Dealers I've talked to are giving HUGE discounts off the Focus ST, to the point where they are cheaper than a Fiesta.
Yeah, Focus STs are a dime a dozen..

·
Registered
104 Posts

Yeah, Focus STs are a dime a dozen..
I ended up with my FiST from Sam Pack's 5 Star because Grapevine Ford were jerks and treated me, and my MKV VW R32 trade in, like dirt when I was going to buy their blue FoST ST3. They must not have read the same memo? No matter, I love my FiST now, and not looking back!

One problem is ADVERTISING! Except for the Fiesta Movement online, some downloaded pics on the Xbox from the Fiesta Movement, and the FiST showing up in results on YouTube when I was looking into the new Dodge Dart GT - I'd have never known it existed. And only recently, and again thanks to the Fiesta Movement, there are some, albeit brief and chaotic, commercials about the Fiesta on the lesser CW channel (Supernatural is about all I watch on there, LOL). So there is zero mainstream exposure to the public.

Next, are the "ricers". They are your typical JDM crowd. If it's not from Japan, not with a coffee can exhaust, not from Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Mitsubishi, or Toyota, not a drift car - then they are clueless to its existence. Though mostly a SoCal thing, it has spread.

Lastly, it is a domestic car. Except for the well known Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, and it appears the Raptor too - Ford has not been known for cool cars like our ST's. If they had been bringing them here as long as Europe (and most of the rest of the world!) has had them, it might be different today. Even the game consoles, which helped the WRX and EVO become famous, did little for either ST.

Now on the bright side? We now own one of perhaps THE most unique car ever? VW only makes 5000 R32's a year, and only around every 4 years. I have seen more of those than all ST's combined. Actually, have only seen 2 FoST, and only this last month.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I saw my first other FiST on the road over the holiday weekend. A lady driving a red one in Haymarket. I was on my way to Woodbridge to see the parents for turkey day. I was happily surprised to see it on the road.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts