Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the best way for me to start a new year.  I was heading to work on 12/30 when my car randomly misfired halfway to work (30 miles). It went on and off for the last 5 miles. Check engine light was coming off and on, when the check engine was on the car was seriously underpowered and unbalanced (shaking at all rpms). I did not think much of it as I owned VWs before and just chalked it bad to bad coil, spark plug or even perhaps a clogged injector.

Left work early to see if anything has changed but now the check engine light was on permanently and the car was running at most on 3 cylinders. Called my dealer to see what they would advise. I was told to drive the car in unless the car is unable to do so. In the event of car not running I should call for roadside assistance. I drove the car to the dealer and left it overnight since I barely made it in before closing. Next day dealer calls and ask if I have any tune on the car as they are pulling some strange codes. I told him besides winter tire and wheel combo the car is as it left factory. He said he is asking only because if the car is tuned and they diagnose it I would be responsible for the cost of service. I told the SA to go ahead since the car is exactly as it left the showroom. Couple hours later SA calls me to tell me I need new engine............ I have asked to see what happened but he did not have full report from mechanic yet, besides that replacement is needed.

I told him that is fine and to proceed with replacement. Here is the catch, it takes about 2 weeks to source the engine, and the dealer is not able to perform the work till mid February due to being booked up with other major work. I cannot get a loaner since the car is not being worked on and I cannot drive it in the condition it is.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is the first report of a blown engine that I've seen.

Was it a random event, or do you drive it like you stole it? What was YOUR break in procedure? How many miles on the car?
Interesting that he had to ASK if you had a tune, and couldn't tell by looking at the data.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car has a little over 11k miles I got it last year end of November. Oil changed 3 times with 4th change coming up at 12K. For most part this is my commuter I don't even drive the car outside going to work and back. I did auto-x the car 4 times this year, since my track car is undergoing some work but nothing extreme last event was end of September and oil was changed since then

·
Registered
136 Posts
Were you just cruising when it tanked? It'll be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say when they tear it down. If possible, it would be cool if you could get as much info from them as possible just for the sake of sharing info with the group. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
That blows! Sorry to hear that. Also, that's kind of messed up that they won't give you a loaner?!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I didn't catch that you won't be able to have the car worked on until February. That's absolutely ridiculous!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were you just cruising when it tanked? It'll be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say when they tear it down. If possible, it would be cool if you could get as much info from them as possible just for the sake of sharing info with the group. Best of luck.

I'll try to find out more on Monday. For most part the car really felt like some plug or coil went bad so I was shocked when he said I need engine

·
Registered
57 Posts
It really would help to keep track of troubles, both for those running stock and those with mod's. Car companies get away with horrible customer abuse (GM for example) by keeping known problems secret.

So if Ford has, for example, a clutch problem on certain unmodified ST's, or a coolant leak into the cylinders, those problems exist independently of whatever people may have done to their cars and Ford would likely have a hard time proving the mod caused the damage.

Of course, someone would have to shell out for an attorney, but there may be ways to recover fees, if successful.

In any event, knowledge is power and I hope Ford does not try to hide from you what happened to your engine. If they do, that would be a huge warning sign.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think you should push the loaner car issue, as you being without your car for months without consideration for transportation is not reasonable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you should push the loaner car issue, as you being without your car for months without consideration for transportation is not reasonable.

I did I called up corporate and set up a case. The rep left me a message that I missed on Friday, and I got back to them after hours. Tried calling them Saturday morning but that department only operates Monday to Friday so I'll be hunting them down on Monday.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Since when did a loaner have such pre-qualifications? As far as I'm concerned, if THEY have YOUR car,
you should have a loaner. Also their repair schedule has to be re-addressed. Seems to me they are
setting terms for a 'negotiation' ... where there shouldn't be one. A major repair should not be terms for
delaying work over a month. Sounds just like the motorcycle service department I never went back to.
(2 1/2 weeks for a valve adjust and cover/plug well gasket(s) )

·
Registered
131 Posts
Check the lemon laws in your state. IIRC, more than 4 problems that cause you to be without your car in a single year, or more importantly in your case, to be out of service for 6 weeks-- and the car is deemed to be a lemon and you get either a replacement of your money back. .. Again, it varies from state to state (assuming your are in the states) but something to check or use for leverage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ford Customer Service sucks.....

I am copying and pasting from dealer report including all spelling.

"11453 C/S Check Engine light on, verify concern, pull codes, no communication with PCM, had to enter VIN manually and tear tag code, Perform self test, pull codes P0301, P0313, P0316, Perform power compression cylinder 1 is 14% off, Perform manually compression test, 40 PSI in cylinder one, 2 3, and 4 between 180psi and 200 psi, cylinder one internal engine damaged causing paired cylinder 4 to misfire also, need approval to tear down."

·
Registered
54 Posts
For real?! Man....definitely not a great way to ring in the new year. Same for me though, makes me worry about having a bit of fun with the car. Good luck with everything and don't let them rake you over the coals....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ford Customer Service sucks.....

I am copying and pasting from dealer report including all spelling.

"11453 C/S Check Engine light on, verify concern, pull codes, no communication with PCM, had to enter VIN manually and tear tag code, Perform self test, pull codes P0301, P0313, P0316, Perform power compression cylinder 1 is 14% off, Perform manually compression test, 40 PSI in cylinder one, 2 3, and 4 between 180psi and 200 psi, cylinder one internal engine damaged causing paired cylinder 4 to misfire also, need approval to tear down."
Hi Lubo,

I see you mentioned calling our Customer Relationship Center and setting up a case. If you send me the case number in a PM, I can check in on it.

I'm surprised Meagan from Ford Service hasn't checked in on this. Why don't you send her a PM ?
I didn't see this thread before, but I'm here now. :) Thanks for the shout-out!

Meagan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Our dealer gave us a rental from enterprise while we waited for a replacement engine (coolant into cyl. 4) I believe it took almost 3 weeks to complete. Yes, If they have your car for warranty repairs. You should be provided a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts