Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Check out 'Tuning Options for Australian FiSTs' thread.

Some of the guys there have it or know about it. Since we can't get the Cobb AP in Oz, the Bluefin is one of only a few little options we have for our cars.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it still work on US spec?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but since other countries measure in NM of Torque instead of ft/lbs, is Brake Horsepoer (BHP) the same measurement as HP in the US?

·
Registered
49 Posts
HP is the same, BHP is measured before drivetrain loss (brake horsepower measured at the flywheel), WHP is measured after drivetrain loss (wheel horsepower measured at the wheels).

The peak HP gain of the device is 22 hp, the 38 number is max gain (where the biggest difference between the curves is).

To compare this roughly to Cobb tunes (according to the claimed percent increases in their map notes), assuming a general stock Fiesta ST is at 185 whp:

Stage 1
Peak 2% gain (3.7 hp)
Max 5% gain (9.25 hp)

Stage 2
Peak 9% gain (16.65 hp)
Max 14% gain (25.9 hp)

Stage 3
Peak 15% gain (27.75 hp)
Max 23% gain (42.55 hp)

Cobb numbers are all after drivetrain loss, it looks like this tune matches up pretty closely to a stage 2 Cobb tune if you were to factor in drivetrain loss.

I don't doubt that the tune can pull it off,I don't know what strategy they are using to achieve the results, though. I could run a stage 2 cobb OTS tune without the intercooler and it would work but it would probably be less reliable and more risky for the engine given the higher charge air temps. It would be fine for about 1 - 2 pulls, or non-aggressive driving, though.

Reactions: Morag92

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HP is the same, BHP is measured before drivetrain loss (brake horsepower measured at the flywheel), WHP is measured after drivetrain loss (wheel horsepower measured at the wheels).

The peak HP gain of the device is 22 hp, the 38 number is max gain (where the biggest difference between the curves is).

To compare this roughly to Cobb tunes (according to the claimed percent increases in their map notes), assuming a general stock Fiesta ST is at 185 whp:

Stage 1
Peak 2% gain (3.7 hp)
Max 5% gain (9.25 hp)

Stage 2
Peak 9% gain (16.65 hp)
Max 14% gain (25.9 hp)

Stage 3
Peak 15% gain (27.75 hp)
Max 23% gain (42.55 hp)

Cobb numbers are all after drivetrain loss, it looks like this tune matches up pretty closely to a stage 2 Cobb tune if you were to factor in drivetrain loss.

I don't doubt that the tune can pull it off,I don't know what strategy they are using to achieve the results, though. I could run a stage 2 cobb OTS tune without the intercooler and it would work but it would probably be less reliable and more risky for the engine given the higher charge air temps. It would be fine for about 1 - 2 pulls, or non-aggressive driving, though.

That was very insightful you also answered a question i had about tunes in the process. stage 2 tune is best used after intercooler.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The Bluefin tune apparently requires no other modifications to achieve the results. Making it probably one of the best for $ mods.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Bluefin tune apparently requires no other modifications to achieve the results. Making it probably one of the best for $ mods.
At least as far as we know. Now we need a guinea pig.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Im just about to buy one. The way these things work is that you are buying the tune and having it customized to your vehicle so it doesn't matter if its stock or has mods. Each tune is mapped for your individual environment, fuel etc based on the stock tune which you send away to Superchips and they send you back your custom tune within 8 hours (as they quoted). The best part about it all is that they give a full lifetime guarantee against engine damage caused by your tune.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can I buy this for my car?
I live in Sweden.

If it's just plug and play I should be able to do the tuning by myself. Is it possible to go back to standard power once you done the tuning?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Can I buy this for my car?
I live in Sweden.

If it's just plug and play I should be able to do the tuning by myself. Is it possible to go back to standard power once you done the tuning?
Bluefin is compatible with the Euro model.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what about the US model?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts