Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my CPE Catlees downpipe and my 3in borla yesterday. Plugged my cobb in this morning to look at boost pressure and I was peaking at 22.14. And i reset it a few time to see again and it was 21.8 22.0. Any other guys notice this? I'm thinking about taking it to a local shop that charges 250$ an hr to pro tune my car or should I just send my datalog to Ian and see if all is good? I don't want to over boost this car and break it as it's my DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
678 Posts
I would send a log to Cobb, though I guess you could expect more boost with a better flowing DP. Their boost targets are +/- 1.5psi so it sounds like you're still in the safe range.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Downpipe replacement, without question, require a new map, even more so catless ones. It will allow for adjustments of all power relevant variables specifically at the spool point as it will move down in rpm, wastegate duty cycle, timing and fuel tables.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
not a subie!

The car should still target the same boost level, but you are relying on the ecu to control spikes if the car isn't programmed for your downpipe, plain and simple. Which means you are running in a way that is less than optimal from a power and safety perspective. Which is the point of tuning the car.

·
Registered
411 Posts
There will be a fuel/Ignition cut if and when the engine over boosts for protection. I am not sure what boost pressure that is, one of the Tuners like COBB would know. I've already hit this over boost once when playing with the wastegate actuator and boost solenoid. This resulted in a CEL and the Vehicle went into limp mode.

·
Registered
253 Posts
you really don't want your car hitting boost cut. Then again you really don't want to run it without a proper tune, but people here seem happy to do it. :(

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Reactions: GhostWhite

·
Registered
253 Posts
This car has a torque targeting parameter. It will increase and decrease boost as it sees fit to safely hit that "number"

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
yeah like i say, its the difference between letting the car tune itself or you tuning it.

I guess until someone pops a motor, maybe these cars are exceptional at self tuning, my previous experience wont allow me to trust an ecu to do my tuning.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Your right. Every car ever must be identical to a flat 4 boxer motor. What was I thinking!!!

Your motor design has nothing at all to do with your ecu controls really, which is what i thought we were discussing? None of this changes the fact that every single car cobb sells a downpipe for they sell a tune for the downpipe. There is a reason for that. At the end of the day if you aren't seeing knock you are in reasonable shape, doesn't mean you aren't leaving power on the table and eating into the ecu's ability to safely run your motor.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Your motor design has nothing at all to do with your ecu controls really, which is what i thought we were discussing? None of this changes the fact that every single car cobb sells a downpipe for they sell a tune for the downpipe. There is a reason for that. At the end of the day if you aren't seeing knock you are in reasonable shape, doesn't mean you aren't leaving power on the table and eating into the ecu's ability to safely run your motor.
I'm not saying I'm not leaving power on the table, of course a custom tune will yield more power. But as of yet I have had no issues, my motor is personally running great without the cat.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ran my gti with a catless downpipe for a year without a tune and had a cel the whole time. Vag diagnostic error was "excessive flow". I personally know a dozen people with gti's that did and are doing the same with nothing but gains and a cel that is harmless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts