Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find the FiST brakes hard to modulate or is it just me? I wonder if my pads are bedded in properly yet as I've not yet done 1000 miles. I find them to be a bit grabby at low speeds. Do the brakes need bedding in from factory?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've noticed the same thing when they are cold. When I drive out of the parking lot at work and approach the street to leave, I've almost locked them up a few times. I thought it was just me with a heavy foot.
Once they have warmed up a bit they are really strong and easy to modulate.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
I love the pedal feel, its so.....firm

·
Registered
98 Posts
coming from a 2002 WRX, everything on this car felt to light and soft. The brake pedal had me looking like a bobble head every time that I applied the brakes. Now that I have gotten used to them and they have bedded in, I love'em. Still no nearly as much as I loved the WRX brakes, but ...yeah.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I never had this issue, but the first time I let my girlfriend drive it I nearly got whiplash and she complained that they were touchy. I really like them myself.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, cold modulation isn't easy. All pads that are track-capable (which word is these pads are, I'll find out this spring) grab when cold.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Track pads usually have a lack of grab when cold because you are out of their operating temperature range. The track pads on my LeMons car are intended for 800-1400°F. The first few stops feel like an eternity to get the car woahed down enough.

It doesn't take much to bed the pads. Just need a decent stretch of road and be able to perform 5-10 80% stops from 50-5mph in succession.

If you do a lot of street driving with light braking, you'll want to rebed when the rotors start looking like a mirror.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Track pads usually have a lack of grab when cold because you are out of their operating temperature range. The track pads on my LeMons car are intended for 800-1400°F. The first few stops feel like an eternity to get the car woahed down enough.

It doesn't take much to bed the pads. Just need a decent stretch of road and be able to perform 5-10 80% stops from 50-5mph in succession.

If you do a lot of street driving with light braking, you'll want to rebed when the rotors start looking like a mirror.
Your rotors also do not last near as long with that extra friction but that is the joy of compromise in a non race car.

The brakes are just fine IMO. If I jump into the gfs car after driving mine, there is always an adjustment period.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The most 'fun' I have with these brakes is in crawling traffic. I find them a little grabby a slow speeds is all. I have come from two similar cars to this and never really noticed this but these brakes are solid for sure. This is just a single trait I find with them. Tail gate drivers hate me. Lol

·
Registered
556 Posts
Your rotors also do not last near as long with that extra friction but that is the joy of compromise in a non race car.

The brakes are just fine IMO. If I jump into the gfs car after driving mine, there is always an adjustment period.
Actually, the rotors on the race car barely get any wear compared to the pads. The pads are what take the abuse, I get roughly 1-3 sets of pads per 1 pair of rotors.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Actually, the rotors on the race car barely get any wear compared to the pads. The pads are what take the abuse, I get roughly 1-3 sets of pads per 1 pair of rotors.
Which is what I have seen and experienced as well. IMO the FiST brakes feel pretty good so far, but it has been too slippery and cold for me to really push it hard.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the brakes is the damn squeaking and the dust! I found out how well the brakes work yesturday. But I never really thought about how diff it was when they were cold till now tho haha

·
Registered
773 Posts
To be honest though...brakes don't work well no matter how good they are if you don't have good rubber to grip. Get a Pilot Super Sport quality tire and your brakes will feel like they came from a Forumla car! (obviously over exaggerating)

·
Registered
556 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the brakes is the damn squeaking and the dust! I found out how well the brakes work yesturday. But I never really thought about how diff it was when they were cold till now tho haha
If the brakes are squeaking, try going through the bedding process again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts