Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a way for removing asphalt from the paint. Any ideas? I have used plain gasoline in the past but not sure if its safe. Any ideas?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Several manufacturers make "bug and tar remover" that works pretty well. You might also try Goof Off

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Bug n Tar or Goo Gone from Walmart. I used Bug N Tar on my TL when drops of paint from the elevated train station in NY fell on the roof of my car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not a fan of Bug n Tar remover. The brand I've used (Turtle Wax) has an abrasive in it & can scratch the clear coat. I use straight kerosene, WD 40 also works well. Don't rub too hard, let the solvent do the work.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Anything involving rubbing the shit out of it is gonna scratch the paint to hell. Small amount of lacquer thinner or alcohol on a rag, wipe it off easily, then hit it with soap/water or detailer after. I've always done this with my cars and it takes no time compared to the bug/tar off junk and comes out better.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Anything involving rubbing the shit out of it is gonna scratch the paint to hell. Small amount of lacquer thinner or alcohol on a rag, wipe it off easily, then hit it with soap/water or detailer after. I've always done this with my cars and it takes no time compared to the bug/tar off junk and comes out better.
^^^^ This. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have used Mineral Turpentine in a spray bottle for over 20 years. Discovered how well it works by accident. Method, wash the vehicle first so all dirt and road grim have been removed . With the car still wet, spray the turps on to the asphalt spots one panel at a time. Wait a few minutes and you will see the black spots start to run as the turps dissolved the asphalt. Rub lightly with a damp porous cloth, I use a Chux dish washing super wipe. You may need to spray on a bit more mineral turps at this point. Hose off completely . Work your way around the car. Don't let the turps dry on the paint work . when finished, dry the vehicle as you normally would after a wash. Your car will be spot free with no scratch marks and it doesn't remove the shine if it was there before.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts