Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a new 2014 Race Red Fiesta ST Saturday.
I am thinking about a clear bra for the front end, hood and mirrors. Thoughts?
- buy a 3M pkg for it on Amazon and do it myself?
- how hard is it to do?
- have some pro do it?
- cost for a pro?
- any nationwide companies do it?
- should I? Pluses? Minuses?
Car will be used in winters too.
THANKS!

·
Registered
946 Posts
All depends on what you want man..

Whereabouts from upstate are ya??

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Albany/Schenectady area.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I definitely want to do it I found 2 chips in my hood already. Closest place I could find that does it for me is in NYC or some places in Jersey.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The only thing that makes me hesitant is the discoloration on some of the clear-bra films that I've seen. Still, it would be so nice to avoid chipping paint...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money on it. They discolor over time. And I think it ruins the shine and clarity. Had a 370z done and it had terrible rainbow effect in certain sun conditions . Had them take it off and get my money back. Maybe it was a bad application with too much soap. But the place came recommended and wasn't cheap.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Find a starshieldsolutions.com dealer and have them professionally install the 3M clear bra. I've had one on my mustang for three years with no yellowing. I put one on my FiST last month. I drive 70 miles round trip per day, so the potential is there for lots of chips. The rocks bounce off the FiST, no chips on either the Mustang or the FiST. Well worth the $600.00 I spent. I do not like paint chips, and the 1/2" long scratch on the back end of the Fist (Noticed it when I bought the car in February) took 3 days to fix.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just had Suntek PPF put on my car. I wanted to get Xpel but the installer said this was just as good. After researching he was right, it's almost just as good (see reviews below), and looks damn nice. Since he had a $240k McLaren 12c sitting there he just put Suntek on for me to admire I figured this might be good enough for my FiST. I took samples of 3M Ventureshield and Suntek home, the Suntek is self healing like XPEL, 3M is not. The Suntek is resistant to denatured alcohol (very mild solvent) 3M is not (it dulls it, so be careful with tar and bug remover). Suntek is easier to install, it's the same thickness as Xpel ultimate, and has the same 0.5 mil top coat as Xpel. Time will tell how it works though, but this area is a great test bed.

Check out these reviews for more info:

Test of chemical resistance of PPF - 3M, Avery, KPMF, ORAFOL, XPEL and - Paint Protection Film, Clear Bra Forum - TintDude Forum

Test of durability of PPF (3M, Avery, KPMF, ORAFOL, XPEL) - Paint Protection Film, Clear Bra Forum - TintDude Forum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts