Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a second hand Fiesta Mk8 (2018) half a year ago. It has 20.000 km.

I have started to pay attention to one particular noise that worries me a little. Let's say I am at full stop, clutch pressed and first gear in. Ready to go. Then, I start moving slowly by accelerating softly and releasing the clutch gently. This is a typical situation when parking, at traffic lights in the city, in a traffic jam, etc. The issue is that when I am releasing the clutch while accelerating, and the car starts to move, I can hear a fast paced rythmic clicking sound.

It is like a mechanical noise coming from the engine or under the car. I think it is synchronized with the engine revs, so it becomes faster paced while you accelerate. At 20-30 km/h it is not audible anymore, so you can only hear it when you start to move gently from full stop in first gear or when releasing the clutch in second gear when driving really slow. Basically, at urban driving when the engine starts pushing the car forward.

The clutch seems to be working completely fine. The car moves really smoothly. The pedal doesn't vibrate or make strange noises. Also, if I am in neutral and press and release the clutch, nothing strange happens, no noises or vibrations. So the only problem is... that strange noise when I am starting to move. It is not something very noticeable and I think it can't be heard from outside the car. Maybe it is something normal, but my previous cars didn't make that sound so I am a bit confused.

Can someone explain if this is normal and why it could be happening? Thank you so much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very vague description but I signed up just to throw out an idea. Could be the throw out bearing going out. I got about 30k miles on my oem unit. Depends how hard the car has been driven and also how many people may have learned to drive on that clutch combination as well as if it's a lot of stop and go miles vs highway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I bought a second hand Fiesta Mk8 (2018) half a year ago. It has 20.000 km.

I have started to pay attention to one particular noise that worries me a little. Let's say I am at full stop, clutch pressed and first gear in. Ready to go. Then, I start moving slowly by accelerating softly and releasing the clutch gently. This is a typical situation when parking, at traffic lights in the city, in a traffic jam, etc. The issue is that when I am releasing the clutch while accelerating, and the car starts to move, I can hear a fast paced rythmic clicking sound.

It is like a mechanical noise coming from the engine or under the car. I think it is synchronized with the engine revs, so it becomes faster paced while you accelerate. At 20-30 km/h it is not audible anymore, so you can only hear it when you start to move gently from full stop in first gear or when releasing the clutch in second gear when driving really slow. Basically, at urban driving when the engine starts pushing the car forward.

The clutch seems to be working completely fine. The car moves really smoothly. The pedal doesn't vibrate or make strange noises. Also, if I am in neutral and press and release the clutch, nothing strange happens, no noises or vibrations. So the only problem is... that strange noise when I am starting to move. It is not something very noticeable and I think it can't be heard from outside the car. Maybe it is something normal, but my previous cars didn't make that sound so I am a bit confused.

Can someone explain if this is normal and why it could be happening? Thank you so much.
Sounds like the previous owner may have spent a lot of time "riding the clutch" in city driving, which will shorten the life of the thrust bearing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information. I bought the car with around 8000 km and it was used in the city. The next 13000 km was done by me with great care and many of them on the highway, etc. I hope is not the throw out bearing because it is an expensive thing to repair... but I will keep it in mind if it becomes worse.

I have also noticed these days that the sound happens when the car is cold. After a good ride, when the car is hot, it doesn't make the described sound. Maybe is related to the injectors?

Another person suggested me that maybe the engine torque mount is failing. I will try to check it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the information. I bought the car with around 8000 km and it was used in the city. The next 13000 km was done by me with great care and many of them on the highway, etc. I hope is not the throw out bearing because it is an expensive thing to repair... but I will keep it in mind if it becomes worse.

I have also noticed these days that the sound happens when the car is cold. After a good ride, when the car is hot, it doesn't make the described sound. Maybe is related to the injectors?

Another person suggested me that maybe the engine torque mount is failing. I will try to check it as soon as possible.
''' Maybe is related to the injectors? ''-----highly unlikely , as modern day petrol injectors are good for 150K or 10yrs
I suggest you check the oil type used - must be low viscosity /wide range eg 10-40W, by you description of the noise timing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts