Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to this forum. I picked up my FiST about two months ago and it has 1300 miles on it now. The last couple weeks, I noticed that when shifting to 2nd and 3rd gear, there is a very audible mechanical clunking sound. I do not notice this sound when at high speeds (although the engine noise may be drowning it out) and I do not notice it when shifting into higher gears. When in gear, it drives like a champ! Since I am relatively new to manual transmissions, I wanted to see if this was something normal or if it is something to worry about and should be immediately checked out.

Thank you for any help and please let me know if I have to clarify anything!.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I get a metal clunking noise when pulling away from first and going from first to second. Sounds like it's coming from the drivers footwell (car is RHD). Had it back to the dealer and was told it was a dry bush. They grease it (apparently) which sorted it but it's now coming back. Back to the dealer me thinks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine was only doing a "clunk" noise from first to second, now I get a pronounced grinding metal clack noise on gearshifts till third. It sounds pretty bad. I never noticed it until tonIght cause I had my radio low for once. It's a pretty worrying noise......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
with the windows down, I get a loud "clack" from the engine bay when shifting from 1 to 2...occasionally on 2 to 3...closest way to describe the noise is like a bull-whip...a sharp snap noise...CLACK!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When exactly are you hearing the noise? During clutch operation or when moving the shifter?
It is when I am moving the shifter.and only when the car is in motion. When I am sitting at a traffic light, I can put it in any gear I want very smoothly. When moving though, I can hear the noise when shifting to second and third...best described as metal parts moving around.

Seems like I am not the only one with this issue though. Will try and take it to the dealer this weekend. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The rear engine mount is weak.. Cobb makes a really good replacement. Ours made noise and when we really pounded on the car it got loud. The Cobb piece is well worth it...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had this problem from the first day I had my car. I'm convinced its the rear engine mount, similar to the ST250. the knocking will get progressively worst, that's at least what has happened with my car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is something else that may be causing the clunk you are hearing. If the sound is coming from when you release of the clutch pedal to engage the next gear. The sound may be coming from the dual mass flywheel. The Dual Mass Flywheel on the Fiesta ST and Focus ST has a smaller secondary gear in the center that is attached to the engine output shaft. In other words, when you engage a gear, there is a moment where the smaller internal gear is seperated from the actual Flywheel, then the clutch engages to the flywheel, the flywheel spins, and smacks the gear attached to the output shaft. This is its designed function. They added this to provide a smoother feel during shifting at the cost of some torque/hp loss at the wheels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is something else that may be causing the clunk you are hearing. If the sound is coming from when you release of the clutch pedal to engage the next gear. The sound may be coming from the dual mass flywheel. The Dual Mass Flywheel on the Fiesta ST and Focus ST has a smaller secondary gear in the center that is attached to the engine output shaft. In other words, when you engage a gear, there is a moment where the smaller internal gear is seperated from the actual Flywheel, then the clutch engages to the flywheel, the flywheel spins, and smacks the gear attached to the output shaft. This is its designed function. They added this to provide a smoother feel during shifting at the cost of some torque/hp loss at the wheels.
as the knocking got worst, changing gears became rougher. compared to the beginning where the gear changes was smooth. after standing still I have to sometimes force it into 1st gear. almost like when a master or slave cylinder is failing. either way I need to get to a dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as the knocking got worst, changing gears became rougher. compared to the beginning where the gear changes was smooth. after standing still I have to sometimes force it into 1st gear. almost like when a master or slave cylinder is failing. either way I need to get to a dealership.
I would be interested to hear what the dealer says. It does not look like I will have time to make the trip this weekend.

The sound is coming as soon as, or maybe even slightly before, I move the shifter into place, so before I release the clutch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My UK ST-2 has done this from day one new!! Notice it more when reversing, but will do it in 1st - 2nd.. Metallic 'click'!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine makes a noticeable clunk when I go from 3rd to 4th. It's not difficult to change but the clunking noise is definitely there

·
Registered
184 Posts
I hear a clunk from going into 1st to 2nd right when I release the clutch. But I have found a way to stop that clunk/bang by slightly giving gas while releasing the clutch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had the clunking noise going from 1st to 2nd. Hasnt gotten any worse or better, but agree with what OxWhiteFiST92 said about giving it some gas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry to pull an old post from the dead, but I wanted to know if anybody experiencing this problem has had a RMM installed with any positive effect? I'm hearing the loud "clunk" (almost more like a "clack") shifting from 1st-2nd, but was looking to get the Cobb RMM anyways

·
Registered
1 Posts
That slight clunking noise when letting out the clutch shifting from first to second and sometimes second to third had me very worried as well! Glad to hear there is a normal mechanical operation that could explain it! I was worried I hurt something doing some clutch drops testing her out on the way home from the dealer before it was broken in enough or something!

Same with that apparent injector ticking noise which really got a lot louder at cold idle after I dumped the factory oil at 1000K!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry to pull an old post from the dead, but I wanted to know if anybody experiencing this problem has had a RMM installed with any positive effect? I'm hearing the loud "clunk" (almost more like a "clack") shifting from 1st-2nd, but was looking to get the Cobb RMM anyways
I have the Cobb RMM, the shifter is still noisy. It doesn't happen on every shift too, the reason I don't think the RMM helps is it happens even when I'mdriving at parking lot speeds/pace putting very little stress on the RMM anyways.

·
Registered
498 Posts

If the clunk is harsh whilst shifting it's the RMM, if it's not harsh while shifting then it's something else but the OEM "rear motor mount", which is really a roll resistor, is almost a mandatory upgrade because the OEM one is so flimsy and lets the engine move wildly all over the engine bay under load.

Check out this video I made about it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts