Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Learn something new every day.....

I had never heard of a dual mass flywheel. Looked it up and found this animation explaining the operation of one of these units:

Thought it was actually pretty cool.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm not sure if I am having the same issue, but to me it sounds a little more like a mechanical chatter than anything else. It is more noticeable within 2nd and 3rd gears and sounds like it is resonating from the center of the vehicle. It seems to be amplified when the car is warm or has been sitting in the sun while I'm at work.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Of those who are having this issue, how many of you have modded your RMM?

I'm curious, because while I don't expect everyone's to be this way, I installed powerflex bushings into the stock dogbone. I bought a spare stock unit online and installed it because I was going to take it in to the dealer.

Suddenly, no rattling anymore after I installed the stock one. I examined the one I took off, and the inner part of the bushing had a 1-inch tear up the side, and about half-way through the width of the bushing. I guess I'm sticking with the stocker now.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Learn something new every day.....

I had never heard of a dual mass flywheel. Looked it up and found this animation explaining the operation of one of these units:

Thought it was actually pretty cool.
Just a FYI here is what Our Flywheel and pressure plate look like and the clutch disk is in there somewhere too ;)
flywheel2.jpg

Here is the top view of our shift selector(with the Mountune Quick Shift installed) out of the car and installed as you can see it has a large counter weight on it to help the cables and shifter move the levers and sliders in the device so it may just be bumping something at the end of the 2nd gear throw.. next time I have it open for viewing I will have my helper shift while i look at what is going on with the counter weight.. just another FYI with pics..
DSC01485.jpg DSC01495.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm not sure if I am having the same issue, but to me it sounds a little more like a mechanical chatter than anything else. It is more noticeable within 2nd and 3rd gears and sounds like it is resonating from the center of the vehicle. It seems to be amplified when the car is warm or has been sitting in the sun while I'm at work.
This is EXACTLY what I get as well. To the t.
I've read around and its apparently normal, some linkage sounds or something.
And the sounds we're hearing is nothing like what the guys with clutch problems are having

·
Registered
305 Posts
That slight clunking noise when letting out the clutch shifting from first to second and sometimes second to third had me very worried as well! Glad to hear there is a normal mechanical operation that could explain it! I was worried I hurt something doing some clutch drops testing her out on the way home from the dealer before it was broken in enough or something!

Same with that apparent injector ticking noise which really got a lot louder at cold idle after I dumped the factory oil at 1000K!
This is EXACTLY what I get as well. To the t.
I've read around and its apparently normal, some linkage sounds or something.
And the sounds we're hearing is nothing like what the guys with clutch problems are having
Hey guys!

I'll be happy to send this up the line to your customer service managers, if you'd like. I'll need you to PM your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently had this problem diagnosed with my ford dealership who I purchased the car from. Car had 1,300kms on when I bought it. It had about 6,500kms when I began to hear a clunking only in 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th.
The solution to the problem is a new transmission is needed. Hopefully you still have warranty! And be prepared to wait for a new one. I've been waiting for 3 months now!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I recently had this problem diagnosed with my ford dealership who I purchased the car from. Car had 1,300kms on when I bought it. It had about 6,500kms when I began to hear a clunking only in 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th.
The solution to the problem is a new transmission is needed. Hopefully you still have warranty! And be prepared to wait for a new one. I've been waiting for 3 months now!
Hi there,

We don't currently have a Canadian rep on this forum, but I can gather your info to send to her to look into this. Let me know if you're interested. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi!
Yes that would be great!! It seems almost impossible to get anything done in canada with this car!
If you'd like to email me directly and I can send you all the info you need.
My email is [email protected]

thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi!
Yes that would be great!! It seems almost impossible to get anything done in canada with this car!
If you'd like to email me directly and I can send you all the info you need.
My email is [email protected]

thanks
Unfortunately, I'm unable to talk with customers outside of the platforms I'm on. There are a few different options, though. You can 1) send the info to me via PM here, but if you're uncomfortable with that there's the option of reaching out to Brittany directly on Facebook or Twitter.

The info we'll need is your VIN, odometer reading, full name, best daytime phone number, and dealer name/location. If you could also include some more details about your concern, that'll be really helpful. :)

We're both out of the office until September 2nd, though. Just a heads up. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
43 Posts
I get some sounds when shifting in the lower gears as well. But nothing too loud or worrying. These sounds are more mechanical to me (approaching 9000 miles). I've also heard that the rear engine mounts are easily weakened after driving the car hard a few times.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That slight clunking noise when letting out the clutch shifting from first to second and sometimes second to third had me very worried as well! Glad to hear there is a normal mechanical operation that could explain it! I was worried I hurt something doing some clutch drops testing her out on the way home from the dealer before it was broken in enough or something!

Same with that apparent injector ticking noise which really got a lot louder at cold idle after I dumped the factory oil at 1000K!
Facepalm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone made any progress on this issue. I have taken my car to the local Ford dealer and they could not replicate the problem. Mine seems to be happening when it is also more warm outside or the car has been running for a while. It is normally between 1,2 and sometimes 3rd gear. It is a clunking noise found sometimes even when stopped but most often when driving at slow speeds. My theory is that the engine is shifting maybe because of the weak motor mount and when it does the clutch or drive system is either elongated or shortened and is not operating at optimal length causing some kind of clunking noise. If it is related to a rubber mount or something then when the plastic or rubber is heated up it would be more pliable and flexible causing more shift and causing more misalignment. This is just a theory I have but it all seems to fit in place. All I know is something is definately up and I need this resolved quick as I am running up on 17k miles on my 2014 already. Any ideas anyone? And did the Cobb RMM fix this problem for any of you guys?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cctman, it sounds like I have the same clunking as you. However, I also experience it while accelerating and decelerating. Is this true for you as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Has anyone made any progress on this issue. I have taken my car to the local Ford dealer and they could not replicate the problem. Mine seems to be happening when it is also more warm outside or the car has been running for a while. It is normally between 1,2 and sometimes 3rd gear. It is a clunking noise found sometimes even when stopped but most often when driving at slow speeds. My theory is that the engine is shifting maybe because of the weak motor mount and when it does the clutch or drive system is either elongated or shortened and is not operating at optimal length causing some kind of clunking noise. If it is related to a rubber mount or something then when the plastic or rubber is heated up it would be more pliable and flexible causing more shift and causing more misalignment. This is just a theory I have but it all seems to fit in place. All I know is something is definately up and I need this resolved quick as I am running up on 17k miles on my 2014 already. Any ideas anyone? And did the Cobb RMM fix this problem for any of you guys?
Cctman, it sounds like I have the same clunking as you. However, I also experience it while accelerating and decelerating. Is this true for you as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey guys,

Go ahead and send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll check some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
47 Posts
And did the Cobb RMM fix this problem for any of you guys?
I thought the same thing, but nope, identical before and after the RMM. I've filed it under a quirk and am letting things play out for a while. I also have what sounds like an input shaft bearing beginning to go...still pretty faint so I'm going to sit on it for a while, but makes me think they both may be related to some tolerance issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had exactly the same on my fiesta for 3 years,tried everything,put it on my mates ramp and pumped the clutch to the bite with little revs and it turned out it was the bracket on the drive shaft,2 min fix.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts