Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get a metal clunking noise when pulling away from first and going from first to second. Sounds like it's coming from the drivers footwell (car is RHD). Had it back to the dealer and was told it was a dry bush. They grease it (apparently) which sorted it but it's now coming back. Back to the dealer me thinks!
Hi all, new to this forum. I picked up my FiST about two months ago and it has 1300 miles on it now. The last couple weeks, I noticed that when shifting to 2nd and 3rd gear, there is a very audible mechanical clunking sound. I do not notice this sound when at high speeds (although the engine noise may be drowning it out) and I do not notice it when shifting into higher gears. When in gear, it drives like a champ! Since I am relatively new to manual transmissions, I wanted to see if this was something normal or if it is something to worry about and should be immediately checked out.

Thank you for any help and please let me know if I have to clarify anything!.
I have the same exact issue! Ruins the driving experience. Bringing her to dealer soon. 4500 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone made any progress on this issue. I have taken my car to the local Ford dealer and they could not replicate the problem. Mine seems to be happening when it is also more warm outside or the car has been running for a while. It is normally between 1,2 and sometimes 3rd gear. It is a clunking noise found sometimes even when stopped but most often when driving at slow speeds. My theory is that the engine is shifting maybe because of the weak motor mount and when it does the clutch or drive system is either elongated or shortened and is not operating at optimal length causing some kind of clunking noise. If it is related to a rubber mount or something then when the plastic or rubber is heated up it would be more pliable and flexible causing more shift and causing more misalignment. This is just a theory I have but it all seems to fit in place. All I know is something is definately up and I need this resolved quick as I am running up on 17k miles on my 2014 already. Any ideas anyone? And did the Cobb RMM fix this problem for any of you guys?
Cctman, it sounds like I have the same clunking as you. However, I also experience it while accelerating and decelerating. Is this true for you as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey guys,

Go ahead and send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll check some options.

Meagan
Can I also send you my fiesta st info? I have the same issue. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had this clunking issue since day one on my brand new 2016 ST when changing from 1st to 2nd then fades out when it goes to 3rd. Nothing from there on. I should maybe take it in. I thought it was "normal" mechanical type of sound until I saw this post

One thing to note, going in 3rd sometimes feel like it's stuck before sliding in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my fiesta 2006 does exactly the same thing.
needed a radiator change.. when done it was still there. next going to check the clutch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here, only had my 2015 st2 for 3 weeks when it had had its front brakes replaced and now i have this knocking noise with 1st 2nd and 3rd gear changes.

It seems to be more related to the slight judder you get in front wheel drive cars when switching gears, the back and forth motion. Anyway ive had it back to the dealer evans halshaw altrincham and they after many attempts need a proper ford tech to look at it. They have checked engine mounts, the exhaust and bushes with no luck.

So now im waiting on a call re this ford technician. I cant help thinking that the sound symposer is also making the sound worse than it actually is, but by the same token at least i know there is an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact issue! Ruins the driving experience. Bringing her to dealer soon. 4500 miles.
Same here.
Took my ST to the dealer. I had a RMM from mountune installed in hopes that it removed the clunking noise (it didn't). The dealer told me the (newly added) RMM was the reason for the clunk sound, so I wasn't being taken seriously as I said the RMM really had nothing to do with it. I went home, switched back to the OEM RMM, sent it to another ford dealer. Turned out they had to replace the gearbox. Luckily the warranty covered it.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts