Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed on my 14' FiST that whenever i am coming to a stop at a light and it flicks green (i'm going maybe 15 MPH) and i put it into second it kinda feels like it's "crunching" into gear, like the synchros aren't slowing quick enough for the gear change to be smooth, and when i put the car in first i can hear a pretty loud audible click from under the hood, like the sound every manual makes when you put it in reverse. When i'm shifting 1-2 i can hear the same clicking three times, once when i pull it out of gear, once when i put it in gear, and once more when i let my foot off the clutch, i was just wondering if the rest of you have the same issue/way it drives or is it just me and i should make a service appt ASAP before my gearbox explodes? I also have a pretty significant boost leak considering i've lost a good 5MPG and half my power, i also have extreme turbo lag. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
39 Posts
This only happens going into 1st for me. No other time and no other noise. I was actually waiting to see if someone had this issue. Glad I'm not the only one

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, same for me. I should also mention that the clunks are only after the transmission has warmed up, it won't do it when the car is cold and has been sitting all night. Should also mention that i just started noticing it when I had all my windows down, radio off and was flying through the tunnels in Boston (It was GORGEOUS here yesterday). The transmission feels awesome with the exception of the clunky 1-2 or downshift-into-second shift. Maybe swapping the stock fluid out for some decent aftermarket stuff would help?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would love to hear a technical presentation from Ford on the FiST's gearbox. Clearly it has some features that have not been publicly shared. There is a prohibition against downshifting into 1st gear above 15 mph. Despite numerous phone calls to multiple Ford sites and even speaking to an AutoWeek reviewer of the car, no one seems to be able to tell me why...but they are like a choir singing the same verse: "Don't do it!"

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would love to hear a technical presentation from Ford on the FiST's gearbox. Clearly it has some features that have not been publicly shared. There is a prohibition against downshifting into 1st gear above 15 mph. Despite numerous phone calls to multiple Ford sites and even speaking to an AutoWeek reviewer of the car, no one seems to be able to tell me why...but they are like a choir singing the same verse: "Don't do it!"
It's because the syncro's in the transmission aren't designed to shift into 1st faster than 15mph. You probably can shift into 1st going faster than 15mph however you will hear a nice grinding noise coming from the transmission. This isn't just a FiST thing, pretty much any manual transmission on the market has similar characteristics.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think it may be more than a synchro issue. When I asked about "double-clutching" or rev matching, they basically said....if you are above 15 mph, don't downshift into 1st. I must confess I do not know of other manufacturers prohibitions on modern manuals. I date to the Muncie M-22 (aka 'Rock Crusher') era! There is very little info on the web about the B6 transmission. I hope with time we will learn more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not sure of Fiesta ST in particular, but my Mazda 3i didn't want to downshift into first unless at an almost stop as well. If I recall correctly, older cars I've owned also did this. Seems normal to me, minus the 1-2 clunks, which I too have.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
sometimes when i perform a sloppy 1 to 2 shift, i don't get a clunking noise, but more like a click-clack metallic sound that i can hear when i have the windows down

·
Registered
51 Posts
i get the same noise man, maybe just a normal thing. with the shifting into 1st above 15mph (25km/hr here in australia) if you rev match its fine,the whole idea of rev matching is to match the engine rpm speed with the transmission speed.as long as you do this its fine. remember any rev match is better than none. thats with ANY downshift OR upshift into any gear.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe, it's only when the trans is hot though. Really strange, also i can hear a metallic scraping like sound when im dragging the clutch out under high power. Maybe new clutch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have noticed this as well and i had mine since Oct and it still does it even with 5400 miles, so i think its just the tranny

·
Registered
923 Posts
My gearbox makes no noise at all...

Reactions: focusedintntions

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've noticed mine gets kinda clunky but only while it's cold for the most part.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So i drove it about 400 miles today and the only thing that really stands out to me at this point is; hard pulls from 1st into 2nd cause a good amount of clutch chatter, but you don't feel it in the car, i started trying to rev-match when i downshift and upshift and that seemed to make a HUGE difference. I'm going to swap out the gearbox oil for some good Redline stuff and swap the oil out for some good AMSOIL to run it it. I'm guessing the only reason i have chatter is because the clutch is new, right?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I get a little thunk on the 1-2 and 2-3 while cold. Quiet enough that I can't hear it with the radio on, but definitely there.
That's what I get too. Mine isn't when cold but when I've been driving it for a while. Strange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Morag92

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a little different than you guys are discussing, but this is what I've experienced. I have 1,800 miles and since the beginning my 1st - 2nd shift always seemed catchy and just had to wait for the revs to match. Since going to Cobb Stage 1 it has improved as the new map zeros out the rev hang time in the Shift Assist table essentially letting the rpms drop faster to ease with shifting faster.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts