Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking forward to stage 2 parts that are coing out for the FIst. does anybody know at what point should i get a stage2 clutch?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Reactions: Morag92

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes standard clutch is same as focus st. No need to upgrade. Heavy duty and button or puck clutches should only be on racecar if the factory clutch is good as ours thankfully are. You will cause damage to driveline and possibly engine with race style clutches. Just ask the evo guys about button clutches and crankwalk on 7 bolt 4g63's.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Light flywheels: pros and cons - Infinite-Garage
If it's a racecar yes a light flywheel would possibly be good however you would loose considerable torque low in the revs. I had a twin plate with a light flywheel on an evo of mine and it was difficult to drive on the street. Changing gears required quite a bit of concentration. On the track I was able to get through the gears quicker but it was a precision exercise for sure. I would never have another light weight flywheel on any car that saw any road driving.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Too many people "over clutch" their cars. You should only ever replace a clutch when it isn't working properly. When you do replace it, get the clutch you NEED, not a clutch that will handle 500wtq when you are only putting out 300wtq. It is a miserable difference a lot of the time and no need for it.

Reactions: Morag92

·
Registered
49 Posts
I remember on my 2014 GT, I had boss 302 manifold, steeda boss 302 cai, pypes 3 1/2 inch cat back and strut tower brace which resuled in 420 rwhp from 365 rwhp stock and my stock clutch would always give when shifting above 7300 rpm.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I remember on my 2014 GT, I had boss 302 manifold, steeda boss 302 cai, pypes 3 1/2 inch cat back and strut tower brace which resuled in 420 rwhp from 365 rwhp stock and my stock clutch would always give when shifting above 7300 rpm.
Don't all of the GT's have issues with the China gearboxes?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'd get the "pedal stick to the floor" issue once in awhile when wringing out my '12 at the track. Annoying as F!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Don't all of the GT's have issues with the China gearboxes?
Not all no, there's tons of guys making 700whp with no trans issues, then there's dudes bone stock that have issues. I find alot of times the problems are amplified on the forums.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My buddy has $54k in his 2012 so far... Its gone 12.2 so far, lmao. Bent the axle tubes, broke the china trans, all on a 12.2 car that made 420whp.
I begged him to buy the auto trans, but.... NO !!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How does he have 54k in it and only making that kind of power?? I bought my brembo 6-spd car for 30,and with a JLT and Lund tune [email protected] on the stock 255's lol.

If I bought another it'd be hard not to go the A6 route, those cars are flying!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
If I was to ever upgrade the clutch in this car (big IF) I would probably go with Exedy's street clutch series, can't remember the exact name off the top of my head. When I worked as a Mazda tech last year we had a customer put one in his RX-8. Felt 1000 times better than the factory Mazda clutch and was rated just above the factory clutch. I'm not ever planning to get over 250ish HP with my FiST though so that's just me.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I know... Crazy... Had another friend with better results ( and 3 factory trans replacements before he traded it in on a chevy malabu, lol ).

He had to put a currie 9" in it because he bent the factory axle housing ( with aftermarket strange axles ).

He bought a fully loaded drag-pack GT.

He did the million dollar shifter upgrades, then had to upgrade the china trans to the Tremic (which has some hidden cost ).

He's spent a lot on nitrous but hadn't used it because the car can't stay in one piece without it already.

Long-tubes + million dollar exhaust. 3 sets of tires.

All that stuff adds up quick...

My other buddy went 11.9 on motor and 11.40 on the bottle, but the car kept spitting trans out and he refused to spend the big money to upgrade the 6-speed ( obviously he was not meant to be an evo/sti owner, lol ).

Had another friend buy one, go through 3 trannies and trade it in on a camery. Lol.

On the flipside. I've read about auto cars going mid-10's stock and 9.80 with the stock auto with a convertor.

I was going to buy an auto, stripped rental car GT, but I have 4 kids and the Gt only has 4 seat belts, I needed 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps he should invest in himself, as in driver training. I bet that would make a bigger difference than all that other crap he did.

I have nothing against the people who decide to do this, but at what point is enough enough? Especially when he turns around and looks at what he has for how much he spends.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes standard clutch is same as focus st. No need to upgrade.
The spec manuals state different size clutch discs between the Focus ST and Fiesta ST.

Fiesta ST: 228 millimeter clutch and dual mass flywheel
Focus ST: 240 millimeter clutch and dual mass flywheel

·
Registered
301 Posts
Too many people "over clutch" their cars. You should only ever replace a clutch when it isn't working properly. When you do replace it, get the clutch you NEED, not a clutch that will handle 500wtq when you are only putting out 300wtq. It is a miserable difference a lot of the time and no need for it.
This man knows what he is talking about.

I bought a lighweight flywheel and kevlar clutch for my WRX back in the day. It caused drivability issues with the light flywheel. I had to slip it a whole lot and ended up burning out the clutch early. As a DD, a super light 10lb flywheel is a terrible "Upgrade."

I will say that they supposedly make some "Not-as light" regular flywheel options out there somewhere that paired with a stage 1 clutch from Spec should be decent. The stock flywheel is dual mass so it has a number of rotating parts and extra weight that could free up horsepower/torque by putting a standard flywheel in there. Ford put this clutch in at the cost of some power to improve drivability. Those extra clutches and springs that soften clutch engagement eat up a little bit of power with frictional and rotation mass.

If you want an upgrade, find one of those dual mass flywheel conversion kits and a standard clutch. It will serve you FAR greater than a 10lb flywheel, unless your FiST is a track slut, then by all means, get the flywheel, but just don't do it on your DD. I learned the hard way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts