Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading a few of the Cobb AP threads here, and saw a number of people say "1st gear is useless". Does that mean you just always start from standstill in 2nd now?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I was just reading a few of the Cobb AP threads here, and saw a number of people say "1st gear is useless". Does that mean you just always start from standstill in 2nd now?
Just means that there's really no traction if you go full WOT in first. I wouldn't start in 2nd every time, as I can't imagine it's good in the long term. I just flashed mine last night, and as far as that goes it's basically true, but I just take it easy in first and shift quickly into second.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Are there gear based torque request tables yet? Should be easy to fix with atr if so.

I wouldn't start in 2nd with this car ever, its too long for a 1.6l. A downpipe could make it a bit better but i don't think its going to get you that far. Throttle control is key.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you WOT in 1st or 2nd after the tune, you will realize you need rear motor mount bad, and we will have lots of wheel spin

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so you just have to be very careful with throttle after the tune. Has anyone installed a new rear motor mount yet?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And I assume that the downside of having to be careful in 1st and 2nd is outweighed by the rest of the tune?

·
Registered
488 Posts
And I assume that the downside of having to be careful in 1st and 2nd is outweighed by the rest of the tune?
There are some mounts out now, but there have to be imported from the UK, very expensive. Most are waiting for the usual companies in the US to come out with mounts, mainly COBB

·
Registered
545 Posts
Oh, yes. Acceleration is MUCH improved over stock. I don't have to downshift nearly as much and 6th gear is actually a great passing gear on the highway now.

As for rear motor mount, I haven't looked into it yet but it made a huge difference on my last FWD modded hatch (GTI) and I plan on it with this car, too. Decreased wheel hop, increased traction.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yeah, rear motor mount is a must. I would say though, if you're easy in first (i.e. not on a rough surface or around a corner), you can keep traction. 2nd is no problem - a hearty squeal when you shift into 2nd hard, but no problems.

I *really* wish there was a way to enable Sport mode on vehicle startup - if anything just to save brake pads.

Reactions: G-Man

·
Registered
45 Posts
  • Below is a repost of Ian from COBB talking about a Fiesta motor mount!

"It should help! The Fiesta ST and Focus ST use different rear motor mounts, but we are working on a Fiesta ST version. I have driven our SEMA car with a prototype version and have another prototpye sitting on my desk for my car. Can't wait to get it in! :D"

Ian​

·
Registered
773 Posts
I second this! By this point, though, the ESC button is the second button I push after the start button.
Ya that would be cool but no one will ever do it. Legal liability is far too much. This way you are liable because you chose to turn it off. If it is off as a default, whoever set it up that way is liable.

Reactions: SpaceFish

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'd buy the tuning software if I could do that manually.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ya that would be cool but no one will ever do it. Legal liability is far too much. This way you are liable because you chose to turn it off. If it is off as a default, whoever set it up that way is liable.
Not if it was my choice to turn it off. If someone or some product turned the ESC without my knowledge or permission, you would have a case. Giving me the option absolves them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Someone built a device like this that interacted with si drive and traction control in the STI. Just a dude on the forums, and sold a few. It was actually fairly complicated and the systems aren't easy to access so it was an external part that had to be cut into a bunch of different stuff. Not at all impossible, but more of a pain then its worth unless you know someone who works with controls and has the ability to do some plc programming.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm an electrical engineer and do embedded systems design... I could definitely make something similar, but would never be OK with the amount of splicing involved lol. It would be fairly simple to make a bypass device, just wait for engine startup and fire a relay for a second across the button contacts. But, maybe (just maybe) Cobb can help us out :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not if it was my choice to turn it off. If someone or some product turned the ESC without my knowledge or permission, you would have a case. Giving me the option absolves them.
Im not sure about that. You may be right but the company is still allowing something that could possibly cause the car to be unstable. The car comes from Ford legal, you have the choice to turn it off. If they alter that and give you options, I still have a feeling the legal liability would be held with the company who altered the stock perimeters.

Even if it was ok on the legal side, I think that is a bit of a grey area so most companies would stay away from it to save their own behinds.

·
Registered
678 Posts
There's a legal liability to be had with disabling safety features, yes. I'm not sure how that would work for this system, but for an example, a tuner isn't legally allowed to disable your CEL for not having a cat. They can just "widely tune" the acceptable parameters for your rear O2, but never disable.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts