Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cobb, I have a few questions about your Access port device. I have never used anything like this before and I thought it would be helpful to ask these questions so those that do not know what it does have a better understanding.
1) I am I correct in the assumption that this device re-mapps the cars computer to gain performance advantages.
2) In the device there are several maps that can be choosed from. (91, 93, Economy) Correct?
3) When you (Cobb) have new maps can they be downloaded into the access port for use?
4) Once you remap (flash) the car with the access port do you have to keep it plugged in?
5) When I buy the device for my Fiesta ST is it specific for that car only? For example can I use it to pull error codes from other cars I own?
6) Is there a way to get the device to display horizontally? It would fit better on my dash sideways. With it vertical it takes up a great deal of space. If it was horizontal it could nicely tuck onto the left side of the dash.
7) I understand with the 91 octane map much of the gain is torque. I have also heard that you allow more boost in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear. Can you explain this a bit. What does this do to the driving experience?
8) Using the 91 map would you expect any risk of detonation? How aggressive is it?

Thank you for the answering these questions, I bet there are a lot of us that wants more info on what this device does.

·
Vendor
418 Posts
No problem!

1. Correct. The Accessport allows you to flash performance maps, economy maps, custom maps, etc. We reverse engineer the factory tuning tables and tuning logic, then use these OEM tuning tables to increase the power.

2 .The Accessport comes pre-installed with several maps for various octane levels. It can hold over 100 maps. We offer free OTS (Off The Shelf) maps on our website, but you can have custom maps map as well using our Protuner network.

3. Yes. Anytime we release new OTS, they will be a free download from our website, or available in a firmware update using AP Manager (installed on your computer).

4. Once you have flashed the car, the Accessport does not need to remain plugged in. However, it can be used as a gauge to monitor boost, timing corrections, etc. The ECU will remain flashed until you uninstall the AP from the vehicle (even if your battery dies).

5. The Accessports work on specific model year ranges based on the part number. The FOR-001 for the Fiesta ST also works on the Focus ST. Code reading can vary by make and model, so it might not pull codes on a different vehicle like a generic code reader would do.

6. It does not have landscape mode supported right now, but it might in the future! I have mine mounted horizontally on the left side of the dash and I lost no window viewing space.

7. It makes the car really fun to drive! My daily driver is a white FiST, so I use the AP and the power every day. The low end torque is great for freeway cruising. You can really the difference of full power in 2nd gear when coming out of tight turns: makes it fun! There is a bit more torque steer, but nothing near a MS3 or Focus ST.

8. The car has a very active timing control system, so if knock was detected for any reason, it is immediately corrected for and then compensated for until it thinks it can add more timing back in.

Ian

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I am not Cobb but own an AccessPort and can answer these questions for you.

1) I am I correct in the assumption that this device re-mapps the cars computer to gain performance advantages.
Yes. The AccessPORT creates a backup of your original, STOCK ecu tune file, then installs a revised, performance map in its place. The performance remap does a variety of things, modifying parameters like ignition timing, throttle mapping, boost pressure, fuel curve map, disable torque truncation in 1st 2nd and R, Raises the Rev Limiter 300rpm... etc. The AccessPort is not a piggyback device, it is a true plug-n-play unit. After installing the map, you can physically disconnect the accessport and store it until you'd like to change tunes. or, you may choose to do as I and many others have done and leave it connected to take advantage of its impressive capabilities as a gauge. There are 6 slots which let you keep an eye on up to 6 of 198+ different data streams.

2) In the device there are several maps that can be choosed from. (91, 93, Economy) Correct?
The device has around 5 or 6 maps on it, right out of the box. Economy, which runs on 87 octane just fine, limits boost to 5psi for improved fuel economy around town at the expense of power, 91 which is designed for us Cali folks and 93 for the Federal states that actually have 93. There's a Stage 0 map, a Stage I 91 octane and Stage I 93 octane. Some say the 93 octane map is more aggressive.

3) When you (Cobb) have new maps can they be downloaded into the access port for use?
When you open the box, there's a postcard in there that tells you point blank: Connect your accessport to your computer using the included USB cable and download any updates for your device's firmware. The AccessPort Manager application that Cobb provides is downloaded free from their website. The AccessPort will automatically download any official Cobb maps that have been released for our applications. Several outside tuners also release their own tunes which you can download and install onto your accessport for use using the accessport manager. I don't believe anyone has released a "pro" tune for the Fiesta ST yet.

4) Once you remap (flash) the car with the access port do you have to keep it plugged in?
I addressed this above, but again no you do not have to keep it plugged in once you have installed the tune. After installing the tune, you can disconnect the device and store it in a drawer at home or something. Again, those of us who choose to leave ours connected do so only to take advantage of the AccessPort's fantastic set of displays to watch things like Boost Pressure, Oil Temperature, Air Intake Temperature etc etc that the factory simply did not see fit to give us a gauge for - we leave it connected for this feature, not because the device must stay connected or something.

5) When I buy the device for my Fiesta ST is it specific for that car only? For example can I use it to pull error codes from other cars I own?
The device is actually the same unit used for the Focus ST as well. If it hasn't currently installed a tune on your car, you should theoretically be able to plug it into a Focus ST and tune that. As an OBD II code reader, I am sure it has that functionality but I have not tried it yet myself. I imagine it probably can.

6) Is there a way to get the device to display horizontally? It would fit better on my dash sideways. With it vertical it takes up a great deal of space. If it was horizontal it could nicely tuck onto the left side of the dash.
No.

7) I understand with the 91 octane map much of the gain is torque. I have also heard that you allow more boost in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear. Can you explain this a bit. What does this do to the driving experience?
What the Cobb OTS (Off-The-Shelf) maps do first and foremost is disable a thing called "Torque Truncation", which is active in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears. This is how ALL factory tune Fiesta STs are. This limits torque output, which dampens output in 1st and 2nd. The Cobb tune disables this and this makes a huge difference in low-end driving characteristics. While your Horsepower gains really aren't huge (around +5whp), it's the torque gains (around +30wtq) that are most noticeable. You have more power down low and will find yourself needing to downshift less. There's more power available across the revband and the extra 300 rpm the Cobb tune raises the rev limiter makes a real difference in the character of the car.

8) Using the 91 map would you expect any risk of detonation? How aggressive is it?
Using the 91 map, with 91 octane fuel, I would expect no detonation. Cobb's Off-The-Shelf maps are designed to deliver a good increase in power but also with reliability and drivability in mind. Consider that the Stage I tune is spec'd out for, quite literally, a Stock Fiesta ST. There is no more risk of detonation running the Cobb 91 map than there is running the stock ECU.

Here are some additional resources that I have produced which you may find useful regarding the AccessPort on the Fiesta ST.
This video demonstrates how to install the AccessPort on the Fiesta ST, specifically, and should answer some of your questions.
<font color="#000000"><font size="3">

Here is a blog post I wrote up about my install on my own Fiesta ST, with photos of how I mounted mine.
Expert Review: Cobb AccessPort V3 for 2014 Fiesta ST (STOCK)ModBargains.com's Blog

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
can i use the cob to use boost gauge without install the flash map? like only plug it and use gauge
Yes, but why you'd do that makes no sense to me. If you ONLY want a Digital Boost Gauge then there's a new version of ScanGauge that does that. I don't see any reason not to use the tune, it's very conservative and very safe.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like Mountune uses your Access Port to deliver their Fiesta ST map. Do you know how their map compares to your 91 octane map? Also do you know if their map shuts off the Torque Truncation like yours does (so you get more Torque in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP])? The reason I am asking is because there are lots of reviews from European magazines on the Mountune device. Could those reviews be applied to your device (the experience should be similar if the maps are similar)? Reading those professional reviews gives me lots of reasons to buy an upgrade of this nature.

·
Vendor
418 Posts
can i use the cob to use boost gauge without install the flash map? like only plug it and use gauge
The AP must be installed and flashed to the car for the Gauges feature to work. You can run a Stage 0, or stock like map if you wanted to though.

It looks like Mountune uses your Access Port to deliver their Fiesta ST map. Do you know how their map compares to your 91 octane map? Also do you know if their map shuts off the Torque Truncation like yours does (so you get more Torque in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP])? The reason I am asking is because there are lots of reviews from European magazines on the Mountune device. Could those reviews be applied to your device (the experience should be similar if the maps are similar)? Reading those professional reviews gives me lots of reasons to buy an upgrade of this nature.

Mountune uses their own mapping and unfortunately I don't know any of the features they offer. As far as I know, they don't currently offer anything for the US version of the Fiesta ST.

Ian

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hope you don't mind if I tack on another question here, because I don't think it's worth its own thread:

I installed the 91 oct map last night and so far everything is great. However, I noticed that the vehicle no longer holds revs on upshifts. Is there any way to get that back? It's really not a huge deal, and I get by fine without it, but I thought it was a pretty neat feature and would enjoy having it.

·
Vendor
418 Posts
Hope you don't mind if I tack on another question here, because I don't think it's worth its own thread:

I installed the 91 oct map last night and so far everything is great. However, I noticed that the vehicle no longer holds revs on upshifts. Is there any way to get that back? It's really not a huge deal, and I get by fine without it, but I thought it was a pretty neat feature and would enjoy having it.
It was a common request to remove that from our Focus maps, so we ported that idea over to the Fiesta ST maps as well. It can be added back with custom tuning through a Protuner or by using ATR.

Ian

·
Registered
678 Posts
I like that it doesn't hold the revs myself... makes shifting worlds easier.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I like that it doesn't hold the revs myself... makes shifting worlds easier.
Hmm it made it smoother for me since all you really need to do is up shift and lift off the clutch for a perfect shift every time.. Not a huge deal though, I did without it for years anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
It was a common request to remove that from our Focus maps, so we ported that idea over to the Fiesta ST maps as well. It can be added back with custom tuning through a Protuner or by using ATR.

Ian
Cool, thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts