Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Vendor
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil for the first time last night, so I took some pictures to share the fun! For this oil change, I used the OEM filter and oil as recommended by the manual. - Ian

Tools:
13mm Socket or Wrench

Oil Filter Wrench

4.3 Quarts of Oil
New Filter

1. Pop the hood, undo the oil cap, and set it to the side.

2. Identify the oil filter location and oil drain plug.

3. Use the 13mm socket or wrench to remove the drain plug and drain the oil.

The factory drain plug uses a rubber gasket to seal against the pan. This can probably be re-used a few times, but make sure you verify its condition.

4. Re-insert the factory drain plug and seal. Then, use the filter wrench and remove the factory filter. There will be some oil in it and it is a tight squeeze, so be prepared for a small mess.

5. Add some new oil to the new filter, then apply new oil to the filter seal.

6. Verify the drain plug is secure, screw the factory filter back on tightly, then clean up the oil around the filter.

7. Double check everything, lower the car, and add new oil! Down to about the "20" make on the 5th bottle worked perfectly for me, but verify on your dipstick.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why do they insist on using such weird sizes? 13mm for the oil drain plug and 7mm for the intercooler clamps, why not use 12/14mm for the drain plug and 8mm for the piping. Those are much more common sizes! haha

Anyways, Thanks for the tutorial! :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey Ian,

I turned this clamp 180° before removing the filter. Opened up some space and eliminated a pinch/scrape hazard!

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
They also recommend the first oil change @7500mi...o_O

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
First recommended oil change in Australia is 15,000km or 12 months so even worse here.

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah I'm with you. I did my oil 100 miles then 1000 miles. Next one will probably be around 3000 miles then I'll probably leave it after 1st service to 12 month changes as I don't think I'll be doing many kms and the engine will be broken in.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
If that drain plug is like every other recent Ford plug they are made of cheese. Be sure to use a 6 pt socket and be careful to pull straight (easier said then done without a jack or a ramp). I had to replace drain plugs on my Focus and the wifes Escape.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If that drain plug is like every other recent Ford plug they are made of cheese. Be sure to use a 6 pt socket and be careful to pull straight (easier said then done without a jack or a ramp). I had to replace drain plugs on my Focus and the wifes Escape.
...and that is why I do my own oil changes. Don't need an underpaid, undereducated lube tech trying to torque my drain plug down like a lug nut.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts