Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined and wanted to say hi. I am considering buying a Fiesta ST after the holidays and had a few questions. I currently drive a 2014 Mustang GT 6MT with the Brembo package and LOVE it and though it does well enough in the winter, I'm thinking about keeping her garaged except for the nice days Also, with the 3.73s it isn't the greatest car for a road trip as far as mileage goes.

Before my Mustang, I had a Focus ST for all of 6 months before I traded it in in disgust. I had experienced the problems with the weak motor mount and while that was annoying. Of course I found out they finally decided to issue a TSB and fix it once I had gotten rid of the car, The main reason I got rid of it was because I got a crappy, bug-ridden MFT system. It would randomly lock up on me (which of course requires pulling a fuse or disconnecting the battery cable). They installed an update and it didn't lock up any longer, but was laggy as hell sometimes. I would push a button to change the station and 30-60 seconds (no exaggerating here) it would finally happen and then would randomly reboot which got really annoying when you were on a phone call. They replaced the system but the new one did the same thing. I started to wonder if maybe the car had a curse and decided to just swap it for something else.

Anyway, are there any big common issues that people are having with the Fiesta ST? I did some searching and there don't seem to be any recurring things but figured I would ask since I'm introducing myself.

Thanks,

Nikki

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Welcome and nothing has popped up yet with the FiST .
I had a Kona Blue 2011 GT with Brembo for around 9 months liked the car well enough it was mental fast but i hated the shifter and how tight it was when jammin the gears i would tend to miss or get locked out of third more than i cared for.... Hope they fixed that i tryed more than a few things to no avail finally traded it for a Challenger.. and the rest tis history LOL
Anyway hope you pick up a ST they are a fun lil ride ...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

As for the Mustang, some complain about the shifter, but I have had zero issues with it thankfully.

I think I am going to go test drive one after work today.

Ohhh - one other question, can you get oversteer on the Fiesta like you can with the Focus?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

As for the Mustang, some complain about the shifter, but I have had zero issues with it thankfully.

Ohhh - one other question, can you get oversteer on the Fiesta like you can with the Focus?
Yeah it was a feel thing with the shifter :)
Yes you can get oversteer if you want though you might have to turn off the ESC (push and hold the button about 5-10 seconds and watch the MFT screen for info while holding the button) most times if you lift while in a corner you can get the back end to wag out i have read since its winter with ice and snow up here i have had little time to try this in normal conditions with summer tires ...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
88 Posts
After driving a buddy's Focus ST and purchasing my own Fiesta ST, I noticed that the torque steer found on the FoST is much less pronounced on the FiST. Also, when you go WOT in the FoST there's that tendency for wheel hop...haven't experienced that in the FiST at all. Just two things you can expect to be better, hopefully you enjoy the FiST like we all do here :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never had issues with the torque steer personally but then I've been driving high performance FWD cars since the 80s and I guess I've just adapted to it. The wheel hop/engine banging was resolved with the motor mount TSB.

Sounds like it might not have any issues. Awesome! Looking forward to my test drive today!

Thanks!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I just joined and wanted to say hi. I am considering buying a Fiesta ST after the holidays and had a few questions. I currently drive a 2014 Mustang GT 6MT with the Brembo package and LOVE it and though it does well enough in the winter, I'm thinking about keeping her garaged except for the nice days Also, with the 3.73s it isn't the greatest car for a road trip as far as mileage goes.

Before my Mustang, I had a Focus ST for all of 6 months before I traded it in in disgust. I had experienced the problems with the weak motor mount and while that was annoying. Of course I found out they finally decided to issue a TSB and fix it once I had gotten rid of the car, The main reason I got rid of it was because I got a crappy, bug-ridden MFT system. It would randomly lock up on me (which of course requires pulling a fuse or disconnecting the battery cable). They installed an update and it didn't lock up any longer, but was laggy as hell sometimes. I would push a button to change the station and 30-60 seconds (no exaggerating here) it would finally happen and then would randomly reboot which got really annoying when you were on a phone call. They replaced the system but the new one did the same thing. I started to wonder if maybe the car had a curse and decided to just swap it for something else.

Anyway, are there any big common issues that people are having with the Fiesta ST? I did some searching and there don't seem to be any recurring things but figured I would ask since I'm introducing myself.

Thanks,

Nikki
No issues here, but only 1,400 miles so far. You will love this car, although it's not going to be quite as fast in a straight line as your 5.0L Mustang.

·
Registered
923 Posts

Over steer or torque steer? Why yes, you can actually kick the tail out on the Fiesta ST. There is no torque steer since Ford decided to limit boost in 1st and 2nd gears where it would be most noticeable. However, that may change a bit as people start modifying the car and find it's limits. I know a modified Fiesta ST is going to probably be way over powered with a 205 tire. lol :p

·
Registered
923 Posts
I never had issues with the torque steer personally but then I've been driving high performance FWD cars since the 80s and I guess I've just adapted to it. The wheel hop/engine banging was resolved with the motor mount TSB.

Sounds like it might not have any issues. Awesome! Looking forward to my test drive today!

Thanks!
Let us know what you think. It will probably feel like driving a UPS truck in a straight line compared to your Mustang, so be sure to throw it into some corners. The aftermarket is slowly coming out with modifications and parts to address the power limitation of the stock vehicle.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yeah it was a feel thing with the shifter :)
Yes you can get oversteer if you want though you might have to turn off the ESC (push and hold the button about 5-10 seconds and watch the MFT screen for info while holding the button) most times if you lift while in a corner you can get the back end to wag out i have read since its winter with ice and snow up here i have had little time to try this in normal conditions with summer tires ...
Yeah, smart man... lolz

·
Registered
120 Posts
Over steer or torque steer? Why yes, you can actually kick the tail out on the Fiesta ST. There is no torque steer since Ford decided to limit boost in 1st and 2nd gears where it would be most noticeable. However, that may change a bit as people start modifying the car and find it's limits. I know a modified Fiesta ST is going to probably be way over powered with a 205 tire. lol :p
Mine has PLENTY of torque steer.. not as much as the Focus, but it'll change lanes on its own at WOT

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oversteer, of course - as I previously mentioned, I've never had an issue controlling torque steer on a FWD car, but getting tail happy in a FWD car is a big plus.

As for overpowering a 205 tire, I have zero plans on modding a Fiesta ST - I've already got plenty of power in my main car. I just want something more fun than a base Fiesta for longer road trips and such and handling is important for me since I always seem to take the scenic routes to go places which involve lots of twisties.

Unfortunately I got stuck late at work last night and didn't get to take a test drive. I am off today so I will be heading over there.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Spacefish if you are ok with driving in a tiny car's cockpit, very firm suspension, and really short gears and power compared to your other cars then you will be happy. This car isnt for everyone. For me the FIST is my toy and nothing more. If I im goin on long distance trip with family the FiST stays home and use my Accord. If you have that i dont care mentality then this is the car for you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Spacefish if you are ok with driving in a tiny car's cockpit, very firm suspension, and really short gears and power compared to your other cars then you will be happy.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Hmmm if i recall the Mustang isn't Spacious . Small cockpit Check. GT with brembo's Firm ride like a ST.. Check ..GT with 3.73 gears and quick Revving Coyote 302 firs two gear used up quickly. like the ST... Check
Looks like she is a perfect candidate for a FiST ... LOL

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Oversteer, of course - as I previously mentioned, I've never had an issue controlling torque steer on a FWD car, but getting tail happy in a FWD car is a big plus.

As for overpowering a 205 tire, I have zero plans on modding a Fiesta ST - I've already got plenty of power in my main car. I just want something more fun than a base Fiesta for longer road trips and such and handling is important for me since I always seem to take the scenic routes to go places which involve lots of twisties.

Unfortunately I got stuck late at work last night and didn't get to take a test drive. I am off today so I will be heading over there.

Thanks! :)
I wonder how the test drive went... she never came back and told us. Not sure if that is good or bad. lol :p

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts