Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a Fiesta ST. I am going into semi-retirement and going to a 40 hour a week job from 65 hours a week. Taking a pay cut and I will have a 70 mile commute on back roads every day round trip. I need to down size my fleet of cars and need a good, fun commuter car that most importantly is good on gas and semi-fast with good handling and manual transmission. I have owned many performance, fun cars in the past- including Miatas- the latest a Miata ND, Civic SI’s and WRX’s. I currently own a 2016 WRX and a 2017 Camaro RS. I can’t afford to keep both and need something better on gas. My WRX will net me 30, the RS only 21. How is the Fiesta ST for commuting- coming from other performance cars, will I like it? Will it be good enough on gas when driven sensibly? Does it have enough pep to get out of the way of big trucks with mega engines? Are replacement tires reasonably priced? And oh does it take regular 87 octane or needs premium? Is the car overall good bang for the buck and from what I have driven and liked in the past will I like it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a Fiesta ST. I am going into semi-retirement and going to a 40 hour a week job from 65 hours a week. Taking a pay cut and I will have a 70 mile commute on back roads every day round trip. I need to down size my fleet of cars and need a good, fun commuter car that most importantly is good on gas and semi-fast with good handling and manual transmission. I have owned many performance, fun cars in the past- including Miatas- the latest a Miata ND, Civic SI’s and WRX’s. I currently own a 2016 WRX and a 2017 Camaro RS. I can’t afford to keep both and need something better on gas. My WRX will net me 30, the RS only 21. How is the Fiesta ST for commuting- coming from other performance cars, will I like it? Will it be good enough on gas when driven sensibly? Does it have enough pep to get out of the way of big trucks with mega engines? Are replacement tires reasonably priced? And oh does it take regular 87 octane or needs premium? Is the car overall good bang for the buck and from what I have driven and liked in the past will I like it?
70 mile commute on BACKROADS? You're gonna love it.
I average 31 mpg mixed driving, Driven smoothly, it will do better, but it's hard to resist getting on it now and then. It definitely has enough pep for the freeway. You won't be in anyone's way. Not an issue.
Tires for this car aren't cheap, but not as bad as bigger performance cars. It will run fine on 87, but has more power on premium.
It's an excellent value. Especially now. '17's are going for under $20,000 OTD in some places.
I'd suggest you read and watch some reviews of the car, and go test drive one. They ride a little stiff, but they corner like a go cart. Plenty of power, too, and there's a big aftermarket if you want more.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I hope they are smooth back roads. I'm 34 and over how bumpy the car is on Aussie roads, even the good ones. Poorly built bumpy as feck rattles galore and it's only a year old.
I won't be buying another Ford. The car is fun on short trips but the overall experience of commuting is not for this car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You know, you can smooth up the ride, too, if it bothers you that much.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The roads are smooth and FLAT where I live so ride is not an issue. Gas mileage is as gas will go up to $4.00 a gallon here soon. I have a WRX now and I am debating on whether or not to keep the WRX, which I average 30 MPG, get a Fiesta ST or get a Miata ND. The Miata ND I had one for a year and a half, needed something bigger and my commute was very short so I got a Camaro. The Miata ND I averaged 36 MPG and over 40 on the highway- outstanding gas mileage.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The ST fits the bill for being economical but fun, for me. US models are built in Mexico, and the build quality seems good, other than the cheap-ish interior. But hey, it's an econobox with all the sporty bits underneath. Gotta cut costs somewhere.

You should go test drive one. You know what you like better than anyone else.

Edit to add: This engine and tranny are put into cars as large as the Fusion. It has no trouble moving itself around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Edit to add: This engine and tranny are put into cars as large as the Fusion. It has no trouble moving itself around.
That's a good thing to know. I like lots of power in small cars. These cars are so fun to drive. I wish Ford would make all of their Fiesta's and Focus's manual. I don't like the automatic transmissions at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts