Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got time to pop open the hood on my FiST and it seems either the fluids werent topped off from the factory or the dealer does not inspect fluid levels?
My coolant is at the MIN mark and I was well up to operating temp. I am going to buy some but I am still kind of skeptical. I am going to keep an eye on the level.

On another note, what brand of coolant does everyone prefer? Aside from the ford stock (motorcraft? probably) which I am sure is super expensive but that I have not looked into. If anyone can give any insight on this it would be appreciated.

I was in a hurry but I am going to check oil tomorrow as well hopefully it is not the same case.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Use the type that is recommended, not sure if brand matters just as long as its the type needed, haven't looked at the bottle or in the manual to see the type it is. Just don't use the green stuff or mix coolants.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was told the coolant is extended long life, 5 years. I usually change coolant every 12 months if I can go that long without pulling something off the engine, usually the turbo. Stick with the Motorcraft if your topping up is my advice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told the coolant is extended long life, 5 years. I usually change coolant every 12 months if I can go that long without pulling something off the engine, usually the turbo. Stick with the Motorcraft if your topping up is my advice.
Does anyone know if I can get the Motorcraft anywhere else but the dealer?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They should top it up for you for free if its still under warrantee.
See this is what I would expect but when my salesman did his follow up call I mentioned it and he said it is normal and they leave them all at the minimum. I would never want my car at the minimum and I am going to get a gallon of premixed from the dealer today.

The best part is on the ford parts website, the gallon of coolant is $13 and when I called the dealer parts department they quoted it for over $20. I checked ford parts and you can order it online and choose the option to pick it up for free. Upon doing so and clicking checkout I get a very descriptive error message of "Unable to complete your order at this time". I feel it is some kind of a trick to make me pay the ridiculous price of the dealer but thats just the conspiracy nut inside me talking. At the end of the day I would rather not pay almost twice as much to get the same coolant just because my dealers parts department wants to make a quick buck. This was the main reason for asking if I could buy it anywhere else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
you are supposed to check the coolant when cold not warm. If its a little low when at operating temp, you know why....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does motorcraft go by a certain code number like for me I'm used to G12 g11 for coolant types. They all have their unique color by whatever code they go by. Have you tried checking the Ford racing site.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does motorcraft go by a certain code number like for me I'm used to G12 g11 for coolant types. They all have their unique color by whatever code they go by. Have you tried checking the Ford racing site.

You are referring to volkswagens purple coolant. Motorcraft has a generic orange from what I have gathered that is used in alot of performance fords. If you say orange motorcraft the dealer knows what you are talking about. Also the part number in the Fiesta ST supplement is the correct one. I have only found it available at fordparts and the dealer.

you are supposed to check the coolant when cold not warm. If its a little low when at operating temp, you know why....
I checked when it was cold(the logic being the coolant flows back out into the overflow) and it was at the minimum mark.
At operating temp, the coolant expands so level will rise in the header tank.
This would make sense but I think he was referring to how when at operating temp the thermostat opens allowing more coolant to flow throughout the system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts