Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our car lost coolant a couple of months ago went to the dealer on a flat bed, they said it was a De-gas hose that came loose. They topped coolant off and called it a day. Well we have continued to add coolant and smell burnt coolant. Been back to the dealer twice they give this air pocket excuse top it off, call there self done. Well I get tired of letting the wife get the brush off. I have them put it on the lift and show them where the water pump is leaking. Here is the kicker, there is a 5 day hold on parts once they find them, so 10 days to get a water pump and associated parts. Meanwhile the wife is cruising in a Town and gag me Country from Enterprise.
At least it will hopefully be repaired this time. End of Rant

· Registered
216 Posts
that sucks - I hope they get you sorted out soon. this reminded me of when my '02 Mustang finally arrived at the dealer and I ran by to take it for a spin (since we didn't have time to finish all the paperwork that night) and the damned coolant hose popped off the engine (off the back of the intake if memory serves). I was pretty pissed off, thankfully they cleaned the engine off good and never smelled coolant.

· Registered
2,234 Posts
Our car lost coolant a couple of months ago went to the dealer on a flat bed, they said it was a De-gas hose that came loose. They topped coolant off and called it a day. Well we have continued to add coolant and smell burnt coolant. Been back to the dealer twice they give this air pocket excuse top it off, call there self done. Well I get tired of letting the wife get the brush off. I have them put it on the lift and show them where the water pump is leaking. Here is the kicker, there is a 5 day hold on parts once they find them, so 10 days to get a water pump and associated parts. Meanwhile the wife is cruising in a Town and gag me Country from Enterprise.
At least it will hopefully be repaired this time. End of Rant
Air pocket ?? The manual calls for the car to be Vacuum filled and that isn't supose to allow air pockets.. Plus if you look at the degas tank there are two little vent lines coming from the back of the head on both sides of the car so one would think after filling and running at 3500 rpm for 20 seconds or so it would be clear.. Hope the dealer can read ... yikes .. sorry end of rant too....

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where in the manual does it say to vacuum fill the coolant? I have read it cover to cover and do not recall this? The manual is currently in the car and the online version sheds no light ether

· Registered
2,234 Posts
Well I guess they do have a process of burping the engine after filling it .. This is from the Ford shop manual btw

NOTE: NOTE: Steps 7 through 19 is required to remove any remaining air pockets from the cooling system.

1. Install the vacuum cooling system filler and follow the manufacturer's instructions to fill and bleed the system.
General Equipment : Cooling System Vacuum Tester and Refiller

2. Measure the coolant concentration in the vehicle.
Special Tool(s) : ROB75240 Coolant/Battery Refractometer (Fahrenheit)
Determine the concentration desired based on the vehicle duty cycle of extreme hot or cold operating conditions.

Add, top-off or adjust the coolant as follows:

For concentrations measured 48/52 to 50/50 (freeze protection -34˚C to -37˚C [-30˚F to -34˚F]) use Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Prediluted to maintain a coolant concentration in this same range.
Material : Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Prediluted / VC-3DIL-B (WSS-M97B44-D2)
For all other concentrations, use Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrated and/or distilled water to get to the desired concentration.
Material : Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrated / VC-3-B (WSS-M97B44-D)
When refilling the engine coolant after a flush procedure, use a mixture of Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrated and distilled water to get to the desired concentration.

3. Recommended coolant concentration is 48/52 to 50/50 engine coolant to distilled water (freeze protection -34˚C to -37˚C [-30˚F to -34˚F]).

4. For extremely cold climates (less than -37˚C [-34˚F]):

It may be necessary to increase the coolant concentration above 50%.

NEVER increase the coolant concentration above 60%.

Maximum coolant concentration is 60/40 for cold weather areas.

A coolant concentration of 60% provides freeze protection down to -50˚C (-58˚F)

Engine coolant concentration above 60% will decrease the overheat protection characteristics of the engine coolant and may damage the engine.

5. For extremely hot climates:

It is still necessary to maintain the coolant concentration above 40%.

NEVER decrease the coolant concentration below 40%.

Minimum coolant concentration is 40/60 for warm weather areas.

A coolant concentration of 40% provides freeze point protection down to the following temperature.
Temperature : -15 °F ( -26 °C)
Engine coolant concentration below 40% will decrease the freeze protection characteristics of the engine coolant and may damage the engine.

6. Vehicles driven year-round in non-extreme climates should use a 48/52 to 50/50 (freeze protection -34˚C to -37˚C [-30˚F to -34˚F]) mixture of engine coolant and distilled water for optimum cooling system and engine protection.

7. Fill the degas bottle to the MAX FILL line.

8. Install the degas bottle cap until it contacts the hard stop.

9. Turn the climate control system off.

10. Start the engine and increase the engine speed to 3,500 rpm and hold for 30 seconds.

11. Turn the engine off for and wait for 1 minute to purge any large air pockets from the cooling system.

12. WARNING: Always allow the engine to cool before opening the cooling system. Do not unscrew the coolant pressure relief cap when the engine is operating or the cooling system is hot. The cooling system is under pressure; steam and hot liquid can come out forcefully when the cap is loosened slightly. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.

Check the engine coolant level in degas bottle and if necessary fill to the top of the MAX FILL line on the degas bottle if the engine is warm or to the top of the MIN FILL LEVEL if the engine is cold.

13. Start the engine and let it idle until the engine reaches normal operating temperature and the thermostat is fully open. A fully open thermostat is verified by the cooling fan cycling on at least once.

14. Increase the engine speed to 3,500 rpm and hold for 30 seconds.

15. Allow the engine to idle for 30 seconds..

16. Turn the engine off for 1 minute.

17. Repeat steps 14 through 16 a total of 5 times to remove any remaining air trapped in the system.

18. WARNING: Always allow the engine to cool before opening the cooling system. Do not unscrew the coolant pressure relief cap when the engine is operating or the cooling system is hot. The cooling system is under pressure; steam and hot liquid can come out forcefully when the cap is loosened slightly. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.

Check the engine coolant level in degas bottle and if necessary fill to the top of the MAX FILL line on the degas bottle.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You so much for sharing this

Reactions: rodmoe

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the dealer wanted my wife to continue to drive the vehicle. Even though there have been issues with other eco-boost equipped models with coolant leaks actually catching on fire. Also you don't purge air from a cooling system for 2 months!

· Registered
2,234 Posts
Hope it helps :)

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have the car back now. After a few days of regular use we can announce a successful repair. No leaks and no burnt coolant smell.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after some time has passed now we are definitely still losing coolant somewhere. No signs under the car on pavement. No visible leaks anywhere. But are having to add a pint of coolant, approximately every 500 miles under normal driving conditions. Oil looks good. No steam in exhaust. Any ideas?

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car went to dealer Monday.
Got a call today Ford is sending us new Engine/Motor for your car. Dealer cited the root cause being a defective radiator (restrictive) which caused too much pressure in system. They said coolant in one cylinder, but none in oil. That the Block is warped. Ford says do not repair, REPLACE.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is your car modified in any way? Just curious how Ford handled it....
other than debadge, dmb emblems, and a rag in the symposer. No. These little cars are just fine like they come.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We picked up the car today. New engine complete, new radiator. Fixed rocker panels, fixed rattling windows, new driver side mirror is on order. Those bastards stole my rag out of the symposer! We now have a complete set of gauges for just about everything you could imagine with the edge insight cts. up to 10 on 1 screen.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.