Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fist just got 5k miles. I've noticed a big difference in clutch engage since brand new. Its almost to the point of full clutch release. I currently can get into gear without using the clutch. 3rd gear specifically. I haven't done that much racing or been abusing the car. I've done some spirited driving but not doing a lot of clutch work. So I am thinking it must be a defective clutch. Come one its just 5k miles it shouldn't be like this even if abused. Has anyone experienced a defective clutch? Is this all just normal? I am not missing shifts or anything besides that 3rd gear going without clutch. This is my first manual car but i have driven plenty before.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine only has a few hundred miles on it, but feel like the clutch engages way too high compared to other manuals I've had. I'll let you know if mine starts feeling really loose too.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
It doesn't sound like a bad clutch. All cars are different. My old Civic had a great feeling clutch. My STI had an immediate feeling clutch. My Vibe had a spongy clutch. They are just different.

When the car was new, nothing was broken in. Perhaps that is how the clutch is supposed to feel after it has been broken in? Also, I find that when you have a new car, you are so aware of every little thing. After driving it every day, little things seem way bigger than they are. Perhaps the clutch is only a little different but feels completely different?

If the clutch was faulty it would slip. The way that you check is at a low speed (ex. 30mph) put it into 6th and floor it. If the revs rise fast and the car does not speed up or speed up much then your clutch is slipping and you have a problem. If it just bogs and is painfully slow...it is fine.

Reactions: joker96

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My clutch definitely feels like it engages higher than before with 1800mi. I dumped the clutch once after 500miles and since I didnt like the loud thump I got in return never did it again. I dont ride the clutch and dont down shift to slow down all the time. I also press the clutch pedal all the way down like the manual says when shifting. Sometimes shifting to first from a complete neutral stop isn't the smoothest either. Feels like there's a little resistance shifting into first so sometimes I shift to second before shifting to first.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Ya shifting into first is the only issue ive had. Its blocked me out like twice, had to go into second then into first. But that isn't uncommon in a manual trans, every manual I've owned has done that at least a few times
But this clutch is hydraulic not cable so it shouldn't do that no?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ya shifting into first is the only issue ive had. Its blocked me out like twice, had to go into second then into first. But that isn't uncommon in a manual trans, every manual I've owned has done that at least a few times
Ya all manuals do that. Sometimes if downshifting into 1st you need to double clutch and rev match to let it go in easily. I rev match all the time just because it makes a smoother downshift plus it saves on wear and tear on the clutch.

But this clutch is hydraulic not cable so it shouldn't do that no?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
If the gears aren't lined up they won't go in regardless if it is hydraulic or cable. All cars do it.

Reactions: Colin1337

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've noticed that when changing gears if you press the clutch and release the gas pedal revs will go down and stay at the proper rpm for the gear you are switching to, making it very smooth. In all other manual cars I've driven when I release gas and clutch rpms go all the way down to idle lvl, but not on the fist. Anyone else noticed this? You can notice if you take your time changing gears.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've noticed that when changing gears if you press the clutch and release the gas pedal revs will go down and stay at the proper rpm for the gear you are switching to, making it very smooth. In all other manual cars I've driven when I release gas and clutch rpms go all the way down to idle lvl, but not on the fist. Anyone else noticed this? You can notice if you take your time changing gears.
It has a DM (Dual Mass) flywheel. It is very heavy and is spring loaded to put it simply.

The extra weight, plus the stock tune (emissions reasons), you get the rev hang. Shifting up through the gears is great but downshifting is a different story. Downshifting is a pain because you wait forever it seems for the revs to fall. If you put a single mass flywheel on this car, it would rev SO much faster to redline as well as have a much more positive feel to the clutch. The car would likely gain a few hp but it would feel like it gained 20-25hp. The downside is that you would get a bit of clutch chatter compared to stock.

Reactions: joker96

·
Registered
139 Posts
After having a LW Flywheel In that past you don't gain any HP with a lighter Flywheel. Power is just delivered quicker since it revs up quicker, it doesn't keep momentum up like have a Dual mass flywheel that's what I first noticed after I got my past jetta vr6 from the shop. I thought I had lost torque, that wasn't what happened. With a lighter flywheel it just take more momentum to get going, but if I mashed the accelerator I noticed a difference in my acceleration In that it would really spin the tires more than before in first. I'd definitely be interested in a ligher flywheel depending on how heavy our current flywheels are.

·
Registered
773 Posts
After having a LW Flywheel In that past you don't gain any HP with a lighter Flywheel. Power is just delivered quicker since it revs up quicker, it doesn't keep momentum up like have a Dual mass flywheel that's what I first noticed after I got my past jetta vr6 from the shop. I thought I had lost torque, that wasn't what happened. With a lighter flywheel it just take more momentum to get going, but if I mashed the accelerator I noticed a difference in my acceleration In that it would really spin the tires more than before in first.
It will not change the power that you have. It will however allow the engine to be more efficient which gives power. The engine doesn't have to waste its energy spinning up something heavy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts