Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down shifted from 5th to 2nd at like 65mph while attempting to get 4th to merge quickly. Caught the clutch asap and checked for misfires via access port. No noises or misfires, I think I saved it just in time.

This is the 2nd time this has happened. I think I may need to get a short shifter kit to avoid the 18 wheeler throws on the stock shifter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
...This is the 2nd time this has happened. I think I may need to get a short shifter kit to avoid the 18 wheeler throws on the stock shifter.
I would strongly suggest a short shifter. The Mountune version was a necessity for me immediately. I thought the reach was too long and simply unacceptable as soon as I drove it from the auto carrier to the dealership for prep.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Are you pulling sideways? 4th should just be a gentle straight back motion... Never over. I can see 6th-2nd because it's not one motion, but 5th to 4th is... Not sure that a short shifter would save you there. Glad that you caught it in time! We do want to find out the limits of this engine, but not at someone's expense :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
worst comes to worse, I need to replace valve train. At this pooint I'd swap out the crank shaft and pistons as well. to build a high boosting motor. First fiesta st with 500 fwhp. I can see it now lol.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Now we're talking! ;)

i wonder if Ferrera has anything for us...

·
Registered
253 Posts
It was only at what, like 7k? No matter how good or bad the motor is, being as new as all our cars are i cant imagine it couldn't deal with a quick jaunt to 7k.

As far as learning to shift, its something worth working on. :) I wouldn't modify the car with closer gates to solve a problem with finding gates. Just that much easier to miss gears with a short shifter imo.

·
Registered
369 Posts
sounds like you're grippling the shift knob almost from the side....like a pistol grip. Really kind of over kill considering how easy the car is to shift. I normally shift using my finger tips it's so easy. Try ensuring your lightly gripping from straight on top to quell any future chances of this happening again. Nobody likes a money shift!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've owned nothing but manuals (with the exception of my 2013 corvette, try finding a new vette in a manual :p [before the stingray]) and I shift this car from the top. I think with the long throws and my quick lanes changes at the same time my hand or the shifter got propelled a gate over.

·
Registered
131 Posts
5-6 gear changes worry me too, the shifter pulls a little to the left (towards neutral) so I have to consciously push it to the right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts