Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay we have had ours just over a month and have 3k miles logged already. Just too much fun! We have an 2011 superduty with the 6.2 gas burner and I have always used Mobil 1 ep 5-20. and change it every 10k miles. So this I my first choice in oil. The oil is rated for 15k miles but can only find filters rated for 10k miles service, so 10k is. 7qts and fram extraguard filter $55 makes this economical. What is everyone using for oil in their rides? and why? and Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you like the car...change the oil more often than the recommended intervals. I do mine every 5,000kms or 3,000ish miles. Also, do not cheap out on oil. Again, if you like the car and want to keep it for a while, $10-15 extra every oil change isn't going to break the bank. Oil is your only line of defense against engine wear.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The last thing you want to do is skimp on engine oil, especially with turbo engines. Spend the money on Mobil 1 or Valvoline full synthetic and change it no more than every 5,000 miles. I just started working as a Ford tech (coming from Mazda) last week and learned the 1.6 ecoboost has been experiencing rear main leaks. I'm going to be changing my oil every 3,000 miles with full synthetic and keeping a close eye out for oil leaks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used Castrol Edge Pro in my first change @ 1500 miles and will try Motocraft Full Synthetic for my next.

For intervals I use Blackstone to do oil analysis and they provide interval recommendations with each analysis. After the first change that suggested changing @ 3000mi and seeing how things looked. So that's what I'll do and then go from there.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The last thing you want to do is skimp on engine oil, especially with turbo engines. Spend the money on Mobil 1 or Valvoline full synthetic and change it no more than every 5,000 miles. I just started working as a Ford tech (coming from Mazda) last week and learned the 1.6 ecoboost has been experiencing rear main leaks. I'm going to be changing my oil every 3,000 miles with full synthetic and keeping a close eye out for oil leaks.
More info on this please? On the Fiesta, Escape or Fusion?! How many cars have you seen with this issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
For intervals I use Blackstone to do oil analysis and they provide interval recommendations with each analysis. After the first change that suggested changing @ 3000mi and seeing how things looked. So that's what I'll do and then go from there.
Could you start a thread and scan the results from blackstone? I'm curious what they found in the analysis.

·
Registered
158 Posts
More info on this please? On the Fiesta, Escape or Fusion?! How many cars have you seen with this issue?
I personally have not seen it yet. I leased my FiST and was terminated by the (family owned) Mazda dealership I worked for (just shy of 2 years). I've been at this Ford dealership for almost 2 weeks now, and was discussing the EcoBoost engines and was told by a couple other techs the 1.6 has had rear main leak issues. Just something to keep an eye out for, I don't know if it's a consistent problem or is something rare. I'll try to get some more info before I leave today.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I personally have not seen it yet. I leased my FiST and was terminated by the (family owned) Mazda dealership I worked for (just shy of 2 years). I've been at this Ford dealership for almost 2 weeks now, and was discussing the EcoBoost engines and was told by a couple other techs the 1.6 has had rear main leak issues. Just something to keep an eye out for, I don't know if it's a consistent problem or is something rare. I'll try to get some more info before I leave today.
thank you for the insider information

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok, breathe easy. I just went and talked to my service manager. Evidently when the engine is assembled there can* be some residual oil left over that weeps out of the bell housing. They thought there might be an issue but they have been cleaning it up and they're dry on the next service visit. So all seems ok. If anything changes I'll start a thread about it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ok, breathe easy. I just went and talked to my service manager. Evidently when the engine is assembled there can* be some residual oil left over that weeps out of the bell housing. They thought there might be an issue but they have been cleaning it up and they're dry on the next service visit. So all seems ok. If anything changes I'll start a thread about it.
I can sleep at night now! thanks, still weird to have any assembly oil on the bell housing, that would cause some issues with the flywheel / clutch assembly but what do I know haha.

·
Registered
488 Posts
LVracer GT, can you confirm if the timing belt in the 1.6 ecoboost is a "lifetime" belt and that its sump lubricated?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'll see what I can find out when it slows down a bit, since I just started here they have me doing a crap ton of oil changes and simple stuff to feel me out haha. If my memory serves me correct (at least with Mazda) timing chains are supposed to be lifetime with no needed adjustments.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'll see what I can find out when it slows down a bit, since I just started here they have me doing a crap ton of oil changes and simple stuff to feel me out haha. If my memory serves me correct (at least with Mazda) timing chains are supposed to be lifetime with no needed adjustments.
Okay, from my experience, chains are definitely not lifetime haha, either guides break or they stretch....but the 1.6 does not have a chain, its some sort of a belt, the 2.0 ecoboost has a chain. Any information would be helpful..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok so, I'm getting set up for my Ford online training. They have a workshop manual for the 1.6 eco and a bunch of other stuff. Not sure how long it will take and when I can start learning, but I'll have access to all the service interval info etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the responses. Please stay on topic. Manual says timing belt replacement at 150k. What oil are you guys using. I have already stated Mobil 1 but is that best for this engine??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Please stay on topic. Manual says timing belt replacement at 150k. What oil are you guys using. I have already stated Mobil 1 but is that best for this engine??
I would take some* intervals in the owners manual with a grain of salt. Manufacturers have started to stretch intervals to trick customers into thinking their cars require less maintenance than their competitors. For example Mazda states their new auto trans fluid never needs to be changed. Yeah, right lol.

I would personally recommend every 60,000 on the timing belt. Rubber will stretch and crack over time, especially if you live in a climate like I do in Iowa. 100+ degrees in the summer and down to -20 in the winter.

Oil is more personal preference. I would recommend Mobil 1 full synthetic or Valvoline full synthetic. You can get away with conventional or a blend in normally aspirated engines but I ALWAYS recommend full synthetic for turbo applications.

I haven't made it to my first oil change yet, I'm at 2700 miles and I'm getting my free oil change from the Ford dealer I leased from next weekend just to use it, then at 6000 miles I'm going Valvoline full synthetic and registering my engine with Valvoline. If you use it every oil change for the life of the engine and it ever has a catastrophic failure Valvoline will cover it (I believe that program still exists.)

Also, all Ford dealers use BG MOA engine oil additive that supposedly has a lifetime engine protection warranty. I haven't done any research on whether this additive actually does anything but I know Ford has been using it for a long time at their dealers.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not Royal Purple....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts