1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Reactions: Noah

·
Registered
490 Posts
Damn, gutted for you!!! Hope it gets sorted quick quick. We never get snow here, avg sits at once every 17 years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sad panda. I saw your pics on OPPO too. Cringed both times. Sorry dude.

Reactions: Noah

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here in the Dallas, Texas area, we got hit hard with an ice/sleet storm. I know how you are feeling! Especially as it was not in your control. On the bright side, it is 10000% their fault, and should not cost you a dime to get it fixed - not even a deductible. But I know this pain! All too well. And at least both you and your car are still ok. I once got rear ended at high speed and pushed into a car in front of me. I had a relatively new 86 Honda CRX (a tiny tin can). My car became literally a V shape, and they had to pry me out with the "jaws". Was lucky to be alive, once I was out and seen how it looked.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here in the Dallas, Texas area, we got hit hard with an ice/sleet storm. I know how you are feeling! Especially as it was not in your control. On the bright side, it is 10000% their fault, and should not cost you a dime to get it fixed - not even a deductible. But I know this pain! All too well. And at least both you and your car are still ok. I once got rear ended at high speed and pushed into a car in front of me. I had a relatively new 86 Honda CRX (a tiny tin can). My car became literally a V shape, and they had to pry me out with the "jaws". Was lucky to be alive, once I was out and seen how it looked.
Yeah, I have a lot to be thankful for, most of all nobody in either car was injured.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
ouch! Agreed. I will never go back to all season tires. Winter tires for winter and summer tires for summer for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All new respect for the FiST, it did a number on the front of the VW. Jokes aside, glad you are alright. Looks like with a new bumper you should be good to go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All new respect for the FiST, it did a number on the front of the VW. Jokes aside, glad you are alright. Looks like with a new bumper you should be good to go.
Yeah, as far as I can tell we are only going to need a new trunk and rear bumper. I'm hoping it won't be too hard to match the paint.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yeah, as far as I can tell we are only going to need a new trunk and rear bumper. I'm hoping it won't be too hard to match the paint.

What ever you do though, go to a GOOD body shop. Its not your fault and its not coming out of your pocket. If you go to MAACO or some other crap place they can make it worse than it already is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wasn't the VW's fault it was the moron behind the wheel. Thankfully said moron was not driving a big honking SUV. I'm continually amazed at the utter lack of driving skills displayed by so many on the road. With abs brakes that driver should have been able to steer around & avoid an accident.

Sorry for you accident Noah, hope they get it fixed as good as new. Find the best shop in your area & make sure your car goes there.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Wasn't the VW's fault it was the moron behind the wheel. Thankfully said moron was not driving a big honking SUV. I'm continually amazed at the utter lack of driving skills displayed by so many on the road. With abs brakes that driver should have been able to steer around & avoid an accident.

Sorry for you accident Noah, hope they get it fixed as good as new. Find the best shop in your area & make sure your car goes there.
No matter how many nannies you put into a car, people will still crash them. The problem is that people do not respect cars. They take them for granted until the car takes their life. Its disgusting.

Reactions: ashchuckton

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nannies do not make people better drivers, that is true. Abs is a pretty useful nanny, but for the fact that most folks don't know how to react when the brake peddle is banging away. Stay on the brake peddle & steer. Not a hard technique to master. I'm not a nanny fan, but I do like abs brakes. An off switch for the abs would be nice though.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Nannies do not make people better drivers, that is true. Abs is a pretty useful nanny, but for the fact that most folks don't know how to react when the brake peddle is banging away. Stay on the brake peddle & steer. Not a hard technique to master. I'm not a nanny fan, but I do like abs brakes. An off switch for the abs would be nice though.
Yes but we know that because we are enthusiasts and many of which have attended HPDE days and so on. The mom who is trying to get to work on a crappy day doesn't give who s^^ts about how to modulate your brakes and how to steer away from an accident.

ABS is great for the average person. My last beater car did not have ABS and honestly I felt like it gave me more control in the slippery conditions. Once I felt the tires begin to lock you can then modulate and steer away from an incident but the driver training in North America is pitiful. In countries like Finland you actually have to do car control classes where they induce a spin and make you react.

All drivers should be thrown into a spin at relatively moderate speed soon after getting their license. This will do two things. Instill the fear of God into the people who do not care and also make people want to have that NEVER happen again. Whether it be learning car control or driving slower.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Trouble is driver training in the US is a real joke leading to the vast majority of drivers not knowing what to do when things go wrong. Not sure how they handle driver training in Canada. Abs on ice leads to longer stopping distances, but does let one steer. The reason for Audi using a switch was because of those longer stopping distances. Audi's are no longer equipped with a on off switch for abs. Bet the lawyers told them no. My Miata does not have abs brakes & it is fine with me. All you have to remember is locked wheels don't steer.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Trouble is driver training in the US is a real joke leading to the vast majority of drivers not knowing what to do when things go wrong. Not sure how they handle driver training in Canada. Abs on ice leads to longer stopping distances, but does let one steer. The reason for Audi using a switch was because of those longer stopping distances. Audi's are no longer equipped with a on off switch for abs. Bet the lawyers told them no. My Miata does not have abs brakes & it is fine with me. All you have to remember is locked wheels don't steer.
Well the nice thing about locking a wheel is that you can then modulate and you know the limit of grip. ABS knows the limit of grip as well but we enthusiasts think we know better. It is VERY counter intuitive when you lock a wheel to get off the brakes to be able to steer. Most people just freak, crank the wheel, mash the pedal and close their eyes.

Funny thing is that if you KNOW you are going to crash, take hands off wheel and cross them on your chest, take a deep breath and exhale. This stops you from breaking your wrists when the wheel gets ripped from your hands and also breathing in and out loosens your neck muscles and lessens the likelihood of injury.

Its messed up how many things you learn from instructors that are so counter intuitive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How about grab the hand brake because your car stops faster going sideways? After a time all of these things become second nature if you do them enough. All except the cross your arms in a crash. Hope that one doesn't get routine for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts