Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just test drove the FiST on New Year's Day as one of the things I wanted to do this year (did it nice and early). I love the clutch and shifter and the handling but have two concerns. First will be fixed when I get into one with the Recaros instead of the stock seats. Second is the choppy ride. My 6 year old who sat in the back seat for the test drive complained about it too. Anyone with experience changing the stock 17 inchers with 16 inch wheels? Does this improve the ride significantly without changing the handling? Thanks and Happy New Year.

Michael
Elk Grove, CA

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
We have quite a few posts here about this exact topic. My setup has completely resolved any choppiness the car had with stock wheels, though I'm running 16" wheels with some oversized tires... 205 50 16... The ride is now nice and firm, but the choppiness is gone. Hope this help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks audiphile. Did you find the up sized tires make a large speedometer error? Any rubbing? 205/50 16 rubber definitely has more options than the 205/45 16 size.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks audiphile. Did you find the up sized tires make a large speedometer error? Any rubbing? 205/50 16 rubber definitely has more options than the 205/45 16 size.

No rubbing at all if the wheels are the same width and offset as stock, like mine. No idea how much off the speedo is from the factory, but the difference in circumference is 2.6%

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in the land of frost heaves in Wisconsin with and ST. It has -2 wheels for winter and the traction is great, but the ride is awful. I'm running the tire pressure as well which helps but not enough. Gives me a headache in 15 minutes. So I'm thinking it needs a proper gravel rally set-up rather than tarmac setting. Anyone know of softer springs that fit? I'm wondering if the Fiesta SE springs fit. Beyond springs, the extra rebound o the ST compared to SE does cut down body roll at corner entry but also increases harshness. So I'm wondering if the SE struts are an easy bolt on?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Try driving it for a few months to let the springs settle to see if it makes a difference. It will make a difference. It will loosen up a tad and that may be all you need. Don't spend the money unless you HAVE to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I picked up 15" wheels for winter. It changed the ride characteristics pretty dramatically - much softer. I've obviously given up something in the way of handling, but it's a much nicer place to be for a long drive. The ST is a sports car and is configured accordingly. Handling is the sum of the parts and everything on the ST is designed for stiffness...but tires definitely made some difference.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I almost feel guilty and regret buying coilovers for the ST. It has a unique handling character and hate the idea of changing it but I cant take the bouncy-ness and choppy ride any longer. Plus hate wheel gap on my cars. Having the option of adjusting the damper and height is a plus plus for me.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
I almost feel guilty and regret buying coilovers for the ST. It has a unique handling character and hate the idea of changing it but I cant take the bouncy-ness and choppy ride any longer. Plus hate wheel gap on my cars. Having the option of adjusting the damper and height is a plus plus for me.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
I actually like/need the wheel gap. I have so many areas that could be possible scrape points that make me not even look at lowering. I do like the look but not the day to day pain haha

Vehicle Car Sky Tire Sedan

Reactions: XR650R
1 - 10 of 10 Posts