Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one happen to know what the weight of the factory flywheel is? I'm curious of the weight and if it's dual weighted or dual inertia (can't remember the correct term)? The car holds on to revs for an extremely long time.

·
Registered
678 Posts
From the ST Supplement manual: Ford B6 6-speed manual with 228 millimeter clutch and dual mass flywheel

No mention of weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh that explains the holding of revs. Audi has been using dual mass flywheels for ever to help shifting through gears seem smoother while shifting slower. Kind of eliminates the need for rev matching, makes me feel like I'm learning how to drive a stick all over again. Can't say I'm a huge fan of this.

So my next question. Does anyone know of any lightweight flywheels for the 1.6. I am going to contact Fidenza and see if they have anything tomorrow. Some may say it's an issue with less inertia spinning the crank and climbing hills, etc... I want faster acceleration out of turns and quicker off gas deceleration. In my old SVT Focus this was the trick I needed to make the car track worthy. I think the weight of the car and torque the motor pushes the flywheel would be a great addition to any track terror.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Have you gotten a tune yet? That solved my VW's "rev hang". Though not as drastic as the 6lb flywheel in my Miata :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a negative on the tune for now. Not sure what I'm waiting for either. I'm kind of holding off to see some other options I guess.

Does anyone with a V3 notice the engine losing revs quicker when revving the motor while at a stand still???

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's a negative on the tune for now. Not sure what I'm waiting for either. I'm kind of holding off to see some other options I guess.

Does anyone with a V3 notice the engine losing revs quicker when revving the motor while at a stand still???
I haven't noticed any differences in shifting with the v3 or maybe I haven't been paying enough attention.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ahh that explains the holding of revs. Audi has been using dual mass flywheels for ever to help shifting through gears seem smoother while shifting slower. Kind of eliminates the need for rev matching, makes me feel like I'm learning how to drive a stick all over again. Can't say I'm a huge fan of this.

So my next question. Does anyone know of any lightweight flywheels for the 1.6. I am going to contact Fidenza and see if they have anything tomorrow. Some may say it's an issue with less inertia spinning the crank and climbing hills, etc... I want faster acceleration out of turns and quicker off gas deceleration. In my old SVT Focus this was the trick I needed to make the car track worthy. I think the weight of the car and torque the motor pushes the flywheel would be a great addition to any track terror.
I agree about the rev hang, it's annoying. I leased my FiST but I plan on buying it after the 3 years, and I definitely want to replace the flywheel after that's up. I haven't tracked it yet but I imagine rev matching won't take much of a blip to achieve, which could be nice. We'll see. Anybody with the COBB AP notice any rev-hang difference?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The "rev hang" has nothing to do with flywheel weight. There is a shift assist function built into the PCM program that allows for a minimum and maximum shift time for the revs to hang to help you drive the car smoothly.

That being said, its a crock of BS and exists only to infuriate those of us who grew up with cable throttles and know how to start on a hill with the ebrake.

:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts