Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a thread as a Feature FAQ, and to address all the *little things* about the car - neat little features, "how does this work", minor quibbles, etc. for potential buyers. We all know the basics, 6 speed manual, turbo, blah blah. You can see all that in the review videos. This is all the stuff you only know after owning the car for a while - the LITTLE details like how the headlights operate, what features are/aren't there, what comes standard, etc. This sort of stuff could be really helpful to a new owner or potential buyer who doesn't want to ask silly questions.

I want to keep this thread relating to the STOCK CAR ONLY - there can be another thread with Mod FAQs.

Anyways, I'll get a list started off.

Headlights - they're automatic, with fog lights, on every model. No HID/projector options for the US, but it seems the European projector housings do fit. Lighting is OK, they're regular halogens.
Highway power delivery - The gearing keeps you in the powerband. You can use 6th gear at 45MPH happily. 6th gear can be used effectively as a passing gear on the highway.
Interior lights - the overhead lights over the driver/passenger swivel, like on an airplane
Climate control - it's automatic, and the coolest part is that it's VOICE CONTROLLED. You can push the button to talk to the lady, say "Climate", and then "Set temperature to 72 degrees" or "Max Defrost" or whatever tickles your fancy.
Navigation - I opted to not get the navigation (hopefully someone in the future will find a way to crack the system - everything is there). The radio is exactly the same, and you DO get turn-by-turn directions. ALL Fiesta STs have a GPS built in, and with SYNC Services (free for 3 years or so) you can just press the button to talk to the lady, say "Services", and then say "Directions" and she will instruct you on what to enter. You can find POIs, say a business name, or give her an address. There is no map on the screen, but you can view a list of the turns to make. This is all done through your cell phone (via a phone call). If you go off-route, she will ask to recalculate, which requires establishing another call and downloading some data (takes 1-2 minutes). Not nearly as good as a true navigation system, but for free, it's really awesome.
Radio - more on the radio, it includes both Sirius/XM and HD Radio. Sound quality is not bad, especially when you set it to "Driver Mode" in the audio settings. It won't satisfy an audiophile, but most stock systems won't. Bass is great for a stock system.
Dead Pedal - there isn't one, but there is a carpeted lump where some people add a pedal.
Key - the Fiesta ST comes with the advanced "leave it in your pocket" type of proximity keyless entry. There is a button on the driver's and passenger's door handles that you push to lock/unlock the car. There is also a traditional keyfob remote you can use if you're a distance away from your car.

Anyone else got input? Feel free to add comments to this list! I'd like to see 100 little tidbits of info about the car that aren't really advertised.

Reactions: LVracerGT

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you don't have navigation, you can use the Sync My Ride website (http://support.ford.com/) and create a login to pair your phone to your Sync My Ford Touch and get turn by turn navigation that way (as long as you have a compatible smart phone and download the Sync app.) You can add destinations on the website and have them pre-saved/synced to the car (IIRC you can use the app to send destinations to the Sync system on the go), update your Sync software, and some other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

There's also a host of other things available through the app, like GPS memorization of where you parked your car in case you're in a gigantic parking lot and are too lazy to look for landmarks to find your car again. :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, the spare is a full size spare. The floor is... unique. Because of the size of the spare, the existing Fiesta storage tray wouldn't fit in there, so it's just... open. The handle used to lift the rear floor out goes right through - you can see the spare tire underneath when you open the hatch. Someone on here added some storage trays underneath his floor, and I intend to add a bit of fabric under my handle so you can't see through it any more.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Cool info? Especially about the nav. I was confused by the Ford website on that.

BTW, the ST I drove definitely had a "dead pedal". It's not a separate metal pedal, but definitely a spot to brace your foot. I've attached a pic.

pedals.jpg

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a footrest spot - though just a carpeted hump, not an actual "4th pedal" so to speak. I still rest my foot on it. Some folks velcro a plate there, but that's for a different (existing) thread :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Oh, the spare is a full size spare. The floor is... unique. Because of the size of the spare, the existing Fiesta storage tray wouldn't fit in there, so it's just... open. The handle used to lift the rear floor out goes right through - you can see the spare tire underneath when you open the hatch. Someone on here added some storage trays underneath his floor, and I intend to add a bit of fabric under my handle so you can't see through it any more.
I have learned to really love the rear floor, and here is why.. My girlfriend and I travel pretty often, and we have a large dog that gets the whole rear seat so all the luggage is mostly limited to hatch area.. Since the load floor can be lowered, that increases the cargo capacity significantly, so that's what we do to fit all our stuff.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Audiophile - "Since the load floor can be lowered, that increases the cargo capacity significantly" - not sure what you are talking about???

·
Registered
120 Posts
load floor has two levels.. the one that's flat with the folded-down seats, and the lower one that makes the floor rest directly on the spare tire, increasing the vertical space.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just went out to my car and you can remove the floor completely...Audiphile- does the floor not sit flat? It seems like a weird solution for the floor to just be kind of sitting on top of the spare or am I doing something wrong.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just went out to my car and you can remove the floor completely...Audiphile- does the floor not sit flat? It seems like a weird solution for the floor to just be kind of sitting on top of the spare or am I doing something wrong.
lower the forward portion of the floor under the supports, then slide the rear of the floor back toward the rear bumper. The floor will sit all the way down on the tire and completely flat!

·
Registered
545 Posts
lower the forward portion of the floor under the supports, then slide the rear of the floor back toward the rear bumper. The floor will sit all the way down on the tire and completely flat!
I'll have to check this out after work today. Thanks for posting this up.

For those with Navigation, you can send directions from Mapquest to your car so that they're ready before you leave. This requires you to set up an account with Sync My Ride through Ford.

Look up directions on Mapquest and click the 'share' button (or something similar, I can't remember exactly) and there is an option to send to car. You just put in your phone # (which is linked to your VIN through Sync My Ride), the once you get in the car press the voice button, say 'services', and from there it should ask you if you want to download the directions.

This is handy for me because I like to plan custom routes, and it's a LOT easier to do from my computer than through the car itself. I just wished it worked with Google Maps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's a neat trick, but I don't think it was designed to do that. I just tried it and I have to kind of force it into place and it doesn't sit quite flat. If I push down on the floor near the rear bumper it goes down about another 3/4 of an inch and when I let go it pops back up from the downward pressure of the supports near the rear seats. It also exposes the wiring and body color from the rear seat to the floor.

However, a neat trick to know just in case I need some extra cargo space.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you don't have navigation, you can use the Sync My Ride website (SYNC Technology | SYNC Support | Ford.com) and create a login to pair your phone to your Sync My Ford Touch and get turn by turn navigation that way (as long as you have a compatible smart phone and download the Sync app.) You can add destinations on the website and have them pre-saved/synced to the car (IIRC you can use the app to send destinations to the Sync system on the go), update your Sync software, and some other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

There's also a host of other things available through the app, like GPS memorization of where you parked your car in case you're in a gigantic parking lot and are too lazy to look for landmarks to find your car again. :)

Is this just for US vehicles?

*** Yes, it is, damn.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Keeps stuff from sliding under the rear seat and being eaten by the trolls that live there ;) hehe
Ahh gotcha. Thought maybe it was to fix a rattle or draft or something. I never have anyone/anything back there!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wish Ford would have made the floor lower and gone with a space saving tire kit instead of a spare like the MX-5 has. More cargo space and could have gotten some wicked dual exhaust kits without that spare well underneath.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's a neat trick, but I don't think it was designed to do that. I just tried it and I have to kind of force it into place and it doesn't sit quite flat. If I push down on the floor near the rear bumper it goes down about another 3/4 of an inch and when I let go it pops back up from the downward pressure of the supports near the rear seats. It also exposes the wiring and body color from the rear seat to the floor.

However, a neat trick to know just in case I need some extra cargo space.
Yeah, you're right about the wiring.. but in my car, it's been on the lower level for a while, flat and doesn't pop back up.. strange...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been using that space to stash my front wheel when I have my bike on the roof. Once warmer weather rolls around I'm gonna see if I can stash my race wheels under there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts