Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There may already be a thread like this, so if the mods want to consolidate, go right ahead.

As I've been looking at moving to a FiST, I keep being struck by the relatively limited variation on builds. From bone stock to loaded, there's not that much of a spread. Part of that is that the car is pretty well equipped. Part of it, I suspect is that Ford wanted to keep even a loaded ST under a certain price point. But it also seems that there are features that should be on the car but aren't, and features that should be available that aren't. In no particular order, here's my list:

More wheel options
Auto-dimming rear view mirror
Homelink (in-car garage door opener)
One-touch up/down on all windows
Conventional fuel cap
Adjustable (height) passenger seat
Leather seating without the Recaros
Heated seating without the Recaros
Heated steering wheel (you can get it on the Dodge Dart)
Automatic transmission (I don't miss it, but you can get it on a lot of the competition)

As a design thing, I'd love it if the rear seats folded down flat. The ones in my Clubman do, and it really makes carrying larger items or more stuff easier.

It's late, but that's what I've got at the moment.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Factory HIDs...

·
Registered
488 Posts
bigger navigation screen, space saver spare, dual zone HVAC, cooled seats, factory HID, everything else is perfect :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Factory HID's and 3dr option. Cmon, the europeans get all the fun, so not "OneFord"

·
Registered
106 Posts
Funny enough when I was comparing the FoST and FiST the xenons were the thing pulling me back from looking very seriously at the Fiesta because I believe xenons are incredibly useful, bordering on a safety item for much better visibility. In the end I took a fiesta for a drive out of curiosity and it sealed the deal for me. I will likely add xenons later on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I gotta say that the headlights in the Fiesta are very very good. I've had many cars with Xenons, including with the adaptive steering, and do not miss them.. I drive upstate NY a lot - there are zero street lamps in most places..

·
Registered
269 Posts
There may already be a thread like this, so if the mods want to consolidate, go right ahead.

As I've been looking at moving to a FiST, I keep being struck by the relatively limited variation on builds. From bone stock to loaded, there's not that much of a spread. Part of that is that the car is pretty well equipped. Part of it, I suspect is that Ford wanted to keep even a loaded ST under a certain price point. But it also seems that there are features that should be on the car but aren't, and features that should be available that aren't. In no particular order, here's my list:

More wheel options
Auto-dimming rear view mirror
Homelink (in-car garage door opener)
One-touch up/down on all windows
Conventional fuel cap
Adjustable (height) passenger seat
Leather seating without the Recaros
Heated seating without the Recaros
Heated steering wheel (you can get it on the Dodge Dart)
Automatic transmission (I don't miss it, but you can get it on a lot of the competition)

As a design thing, I'd love it if the rear seats folded down flat. The ones in my Clubman do, and it really makes carrying larger items or more stuff easier.

It's late, but that's what I've got at the moment.
Some of these I agree with, but a few I don't really get. The automatic transmission; you mention the competition...what are you considering the competition? Other than the Fiat 500 Abarth I don't really know what sits in the same category as the FiST. A heated wheel would be nice, but again, it's not really money well spent on a car where Ford clearly wanted to invest in performance.

I would love home link, an auto-dimming mirror, and HID headlights. Otherwise I think the car is perfect as-is for what it is.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some of these I agree with, but a few I don't really get. The automatic transmission; you mention the competition...what are you considering the competition?
Well, The MINI Cooper S, for one. It would certainly be a performance competitor, even though price-wise it's a step beyond. I know that the VW R32 was available with an automatic as well. I don't know about the current GTi. I'd agree that I don't think I'd go with an automatic, even if offered. But I certainly don't think the availability would hurt sales.

Other than the Fiat 500 Abarth I don't really know what sits in the same category as the FiST.
See, because of it's tiny, and I think impractical size, I wouldn't consider the 500 a competitor.

A heated wheel would be nice, but again, it's not really money well spent on a car where Ford clearly wanted to invest in performance.
So you have to trade cold hands in the morning for performance? Why bother with the heated seats then?

I would love home link, an auto-dimming mirror, and HID headlights. Otherwise I think the car is perfect as-is for what it is.
Just opening the discussion. There are always features that would be deal-breakers if missing. The flip side of that is that it seems to me that it would be mighty simple to have a few things available that would make the car attractive to more buyers, or more enjoyable to owners.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, The MINI Cooper S, for one. It would certainly be a performance competitor, even though price-wise it's a step beyond. I know that the VW R32 was available with an automatic as well. I don't know about the current GTi. I'd agree that I don't think I'd go with an automatic, even if offered. But I certainly don't think the availability would hurt sales.

See, because of it's tiny, and I think impractical size, I wouldn't consider the 500 a competitor.
Funny you mention the Cooper S; I totally forgot that one and I actually almost bought one before the Fiesta ST. The R32 is a lot heavier, gets much worse gas mileage, and is about the same price but would have about 50k miles on it. The GTI (note no lower case, just for reference, and I used to own a GTI and it's one of those things as a fan...and now I'm rambling :) ) is certainly a competitor. Both the R32 and GTI are offered with a DSG (it was the only trans in the R32 and an option in the GTI). It's not an automatic as such, but for all intents and purposes it is. And the Fiat, I think is a competitor to the FiST as well especially in terms of price, weight, and fuel economy. And size wise let's not pretend the FiST is big :)

I think the real struggle is defining what a competitor is. Is it performance? Price? Gas Mileage? Size? And so on. Do you shop used cars vs a new one because that opens up a ton of options, but still there aren't a lot of cars that offer fun driving and 30+mpg. The GTI and R32 can't offer the same MPG as the FiST, but the Fiat 500 can. So it really depends on what your criteria are. For me I wanted a daily, that got good mileage, was fun to drive, and I could take to the track when I have the time. The FiST was the best option for me and largely won out thanks to it's light weight for a modern car.

So you have to trade cold hands in the morning for performance? Why bother with the heated seats then?

Just opening the discussion. There are always features that would be deal-breakers if missing. The flip side of that is that it seems to me that it would be mighty simple to have a few things available that would make the car attractive to more buyers, or more enjoyable to owners.
The heated seats for me are a must, a heated wheel is kinda so-so. It's alright, but doesn't really thrill me.

The thing that I was sorta pointing out is engineering in other options isn't free if you don't check the box. It adds complexity and weight that we all pay for both in dollars, performance, and mileage. It takes engineering costs and time to make it possible to select two transmissions, or add a heated wheel, or any number of other options. I think it's clear with the FiST that Ford basically said to their team "let's not waste time with a second transmission option or any number of other things and just make the car drive like a fun hot hatch should."

I think we all really won getting this car stateside. I don't think offering luxury items (like a heated wheel) really deter buyers. It's an enthusiast car offered at an enthusiast driver. Maybe HID's cost a few sales, but I'd say based on all the "where can I find a FiST" threads that sales are doing pretty ok.

Sorry, I got kinda ramble-y there. A cup of coffee and an internet connection are a dangerous thing it would seem :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
I gotta say that the headlights in the Fiesta are very very good. I've had many cars with Xenons, including with the adaptive steering, and do not miss them.. I drive upstate NY a lot - there are zero street lamps in most places..
I switched the low beam bulbs to Sylvania Ultra ZXEs and it is a BIG improvement. I plan on swapping the fog lamp bulbs in the next few days so the light color matches. Right now the headlights are white and the driving/fogs are yellow-ish. lol

·
Registered
923 Posts
I agree.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Id just want a different wheel option, the stockers are kind of an eye sore in my opinion..
Yeah, and 205/40-17s look like spare tires too. lol :p I'm freakishly picky about wheels/tires. 17x7 is just too skinny. I don't like dual drilled bolt pattern wheels, they must be same weight or less (preferably less) and I like a wheel/tire combination that has a slight sidewall stretched look. Ultimately, I would have paid $1200 for a set of black 17x7.5 O.Z. Ultraleggeras. I may still one day end up with a set of 17x7s and have them widened to 7.5 inch width. I think the black Ultraleggeras look absolutely fantastic (especially with the red calipers behind them) and they are super light.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Xenons. And instead of making all-season tires an option, offer a set of winter tires/wheels at a price that undercuts Tire Rack. I have a Snap-on "Racing" hydraulic jack and stands as well as a Makita 18v impact wrench and I can easily do a four wheel changeover in under 30 minutes- and I'm 57 years old.
And Ford, whatever you do, DO NOT offer an automatic or DCT. Three pedals weeds out the vast majority of poseurs...

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree about the homelink mirror would be nice. Better headlights would be great. I find the oem ones to be quite dim. Also I wish the recaro's were a bit more adjustable for height. I have rear of the seat as low as it can go and wish the front lip was a bit lower.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts