Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, It has taken me a while to start this thread because I have been researching it for a long time with sadly no definitive result.

This is about a suspension thump noise at low speed on Fiesta ST's. If you don't have this noise its really hard to describe but its like the suspension hitting the bump stop.

If you Google "Fiesta St front suspension noise" you will get 100's of results. I have read almost all of them, even foreign language ones.

If you have this noise in your FISt you will know exactly what I am talking about, if you don't, you are very lucky.
You also may actually have this knock and think that it is normal. Its not.

Below are the facts as I have researched and my own experience.

• Ford seems to be aware of the noise but does not acknowledge it exists.
  • It only appears at low speed <20ks
  • It only appears to be only when wheels are straight, but this is not 100%.
  • It is NOT a metallic noise but a very loud thump like suspension is bouncing up and hitting bump stop
  • It only happens on one side, either left or right side (never both) but left side is far more common.
  • It reduces in loudness if someone is in the left seat (but not much).
  • It cannot be felt through the steering.
  • It only happens once, needs 100 metres of flat road before it happens again, no matter how rough the road is in between.
  • One German forum post said he still had the noise after fitting coil overs.
  • Noise is there since new it neither gets worse nor better over time.
  • It sounds like Subaru "shock knock" but apparently is not. See note below for explanation.

My dealer has had my car for 4 days to look into this along with a few other issues. At first the Chief Mechanic went for a test drive and told me the noise was the Sub woofer under the seat. (WTF) I removed the Sub, back to the dealer again. This time the Service Manager went and identified the noise even before we left the car park (my god what is that, he said ?). The dealer replaced the front left shock absorber mounting bracket (but not the absorber or strut). and said they fully checked the suspension. At least they said they did, I have no way of proving it.

The noise is still there. So I have given up on the dealer.

This is a particularly annoying noise as you tend to deliberately listen for it.

My point now is maybe someone on this Australian forum can shed some light on it or make others with the noise aware and maybe have a solution.

I should point out the suggested ideas of what is causing this noise are endless, really looking for some constructive thinking.

Note:- Subaru "Shock knock" Subaru WRX and STI's had a known fault called shock knock. The shock absorber is fitted into the strut tube with a high density grease. Overtime this grease would dry out and the shock would flex slightly in the tube hitting the side of the strut tube and making a knocking or thumping noise at low speed. The solution was to simply refill the strut tube with new grease. Problem solved.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a somewhat similar noise in my 15 FiST. Dealer said that it was the strut mount, and replaced it. The noise is back, though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
So I'm curious does the noise occur when hitting something like a pot hole or man hole cover or is the issue when driving on on plain flat road? My suspension does definitely feel like it bottoms out on pot holes etc but I've never noticed an issue on flat road at low speed like you speak of. Any dash in cabin a/v footage?
imo the factory struts are not brilliant and have been weighing up changing them for a better setup. Koni SRT.t or BC coilovers are two on my short list.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a somewhat similar noise in my 15 FiST. Dealer said that it was the strut mount, and replaced it. The noise is back, though.
The Strut mount is thought of as a common cause of the problem. And yes, guys get it replaced like you, then also like you the noise returns.

So I'm curious does the noise occur when hitting something like a pot hole or man hole cover or is the issue when driving on on plain flat road? My suspension does definitely feel like it bottoms out on pot holes etc but I've never noticed an issue on flat road at low speed like you speak of. Any dash in cabin a/v footage?
imo the factory struts are not brilliant and have been weighing up changing them for a better setup. Koni SRT.t or BC coilovers are two on my short list.
MOFist you defiantly have the noise. Your comment "My suspension definitely feels like it bottoms out on pot holes" proves it. I may have not made it as clear as I should have. Does NOT occur on flat road, but yes hitting manhole cover, even a catseye or an expansion gap in the road and it sound like the suspension is going to fall out.

When I drive out of my driveway on to the road, a 25mm (1") drop the klunk is very loud.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I find everything on suspension/chassis is very noisy in general. Gearhshift, steering, struts, brakes squeal. I have chocked it up to the stiffness of the whole setup but the Ford dealer was not helpful at all, and honestly I also now believe that I have a really early production number. Keep meaning to check the vin#

·
Registered
305 Posts
Have you been back to your dealer? I'll be happy to check out some additional assistance. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
690 Posts
I havent heard or experienced any noise as described. But I dont have many kays on it either so who knows...

·
Registered
374 Posts
MOFist you defiantly have the noise. Your comment "My suspension definitely feels like it bottoms out on pot holes" proves it. I may have not made it as clear as I should have. Does NOT occur on flat road, but yes hitting manhole cover, even a catseye or an expansion gap in the road and it sound like the suspension is going to fall out.

When I drive out of my driveway on to the road, a 25mm (1") drop the klunk is very loud.
To be honest I'm not totally convinced this is fault but feature of our shock compression being too stiff for the relatively soft springs.
At least that is what my research has led me to believe. I also dont get Klunk coming out of the drive way. This may be something loose?
The hard crashing onto the bump stops and overall skittish ride quality on rough surfaces has been with me since the day I bought the car.
Step 1 for my journey of taming it is to fit harder springs. I'm hoping for some improvement as others seem to have noted.
Otherwise I may end up just biting the bullet and get some BC Coilovers.
For now I just weave like a slalom skier around doing my best to avoid man hole covers and pot holes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
374 Posts
One more thing I was going to mention is why not get another demo FiST and take it for a test drive over the same area of road.
This will at least settle your mind on if it's 'normal'.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more thing I was going to mention is why not get another demo FiST and take it for a test drive over the same area of road.
This will at least settle your mind on if it's 'normal'.
I have actually done that 3 times. Once, a demo from a dealer, no noise. Second from a a fellow FIST owner in Harboard. He has the noise. Third a demo from a dealer on the gold coast whilst visiting my dad. It also has the noise.

A lot of you guys have this and think its normal. its not till you drive a car without it you realize you have a serious problem.

Chris

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well if the dealer thinks it's normal then I guess we're banging our heads against the wall going there. Me personally I'm hoping to go to the dealer once a year max. I mean of they can't do my oil change properly then i don't have a lot of hope for their competence.
I'm curious if light can be shed on this issue so we can rectify it ourselves if need be without fuss.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't recall ever hearing that noise on my fiST. Mine is a 2013 and has done 11,000km's

·
Registered
690 Posts
Running thru all thats said so far, I reckon its only 2014 models that are affected. (From March 2014 onwards).

What pedal grip surface do you have ozmale?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Running thru all thats said so far, I reckon its only 2014 models that are affected. (From March 2014 onwards).

What pedal grip surface do you have ozmale?
My FIST is August 2013 build.

Pedal grip is Alloy with raised black rubber round dots about 5mm in diameter.

·
Registered
575 Posts
i think mine makes this noise but only when going on reverse and it makes the sound like 2 times on the left side(drivers side)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok. My assumption has been proven as implausible. Hmmm back to square one.
i think mine makes this noise but only when going on reverse and it makes the sound like 2 times on the left side(drivers side)
As I said guys in my first post if you do a google search "fiesta ST suspension knock" you will get 100's or results. One forum even has an online survey, to gather details of this world wide problem.

The frustrating issue is some vehicles have no clunk at all and others sounds like the suspension is about to fall out. And its only pretty much ever on one side of the car. mostly the left side.

The consensus is its a design problem, but these cars are assembled by robots, they are all the same. Design problem does not make sense why some have the clunk and others not.

People who have this (like me) it has existed sine the car was new.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't have the knock you are explaining, but I do get an occasional squeak from the right front suspension that has me a little bit worried. Just passed 14,000 miles, and have an early build car.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts