Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually, I am not US resident but I did contact Kwasi from @FordServiceCA

I work away from home and my appointment is only on may 20th...I'll keep everyone posted

I'm not seeing a message from you, mYsTiCfAc3. Looks like it didn't make it into our inbox. Please send us another PM with the details, including current odometer reading, VIN, dealer, your name, and your best daytime phone number. I'll look into this and see how to best assist.

Mariel

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the clunk on both sides (seems to be louder on driver's side, maybe) and I have figured out that it only happens when the suspension is briefly unloaded and then smacked back upwards. For example, when the bump has a dip right before it, or going over a large crack in the road. Also happens going over expansion joints, especially when the joint is lower than the piece of road you are on first, so you drop into the lower piece of road and the clunk is loud.

When I hit rising bumps it is quiet, and I have hit decently large bumps with no noise. However, I have hit the "right" bump that briefly unloads the front suspension and CLUNK!

I will take it back to the dealer soon and see what whey say after I take the mechanic on a local road with the right kind of bumps, which I found on a recon drive-by. (I dropped off the car the night before and the mechanic drove it by himself and found no noise last time)

The car has had this since day 1; it's about a month old, and it now has 3000 miles on it; most miles are highway and I do about 100 miles a day with my commute. Other than this noise, the car is perfect!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't have the knock you are explaining, but I do get an occasional squeak from the right front suspension that has me a little bit worried. Just passed 14,000 miles, and have an early build car.
Are you planning on heading to your dealer, aborbs87? I'll be happy to check out some additional assistance. Send over a PM with your VIN, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location, and I'll get right on it.

I have the clunk on both sides (seems to be louder on driver's side, maybe) and I have figured out that it only happens when the suspension is briefly unloaded and then smacked back upwards. For example, when the bump has a dip right before it, or going over a large crack in the road. Also happens going over expansion joints, especially when the joint is lower than the piece of road you are on first, so you drop into the lower piece of road and the clunk is loud.

When I hit rising bumps it is quiet, and I have hit decently large bumps with no noise. However, I have hit the "right" bump that briefly unloads the front suspension and CLUNK!

I will take it back to the dealer soon and see what whey say after I take the mechanic on a local road with the right kind of bumps, which I found on a recon drive-by. (I dropped off the car the night before and the mechanic drove it by himself and found no noise last time)

The car has had this since day 1; it's about a month old, and it now has 3000 miles on it; most miles are highway and I do about 100 miles a day with my commute. Other than this noise, the car is perfect!
Glad to hear how much you love your new ride, thonczarenko! Do you have that follow-up appointment already booked? Please send me a private message with the info requested above, and I'll check out some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

This is another excellent description of the fault.

Just a point of note. Members of this forum are from all over the world and have both left and right hand drive cars. Thus I think its important so specify if your noise is on the left or right rather than drivers or passenger side. From your description I am assuming your noise in on the left which is by far the most common.

Chris

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is another excellent description of the fault.

Just a point of note. Members of this forum are from all over the world and have both left and right hand drive cars. Thus I think its important so specify if your noise is on the left or right rather than drivers or passenger side. From your description I am assuming your noise in on the left which is by far the most common.

Chris
Yes I have this! Left side

·
Registered
218 Posts
Youll have to take mine for a drive ozmale, i probably have it but so used to it cant tell.

Would adjustable dampers improve this, I remember reading some people had aftermarket components to improve the overall harsh ride of the fist?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Youll have to take mine for a drive ozmale, i probably have it but so used to it cant tell.

Would adjustable dampers improve this, I remember reading some people had aftermarket components to improve the overall harsh ride of the fist?
Very happy to visit you or your welcome to come to my place at Manly (coffee is on me). From all my research I dont think changing the shocks will help.
There is a post on another US forum where a guy fitted coil overs. The noise disappeared for a couple of days then returned.

I have a standard bump that shows the fault every time. The dealer uses this test bump as well. Acknowledges the fault but apologizes for not knowing how to fix it. I said surly you have the entire Ford company network at your disposal ? His answer was "sadly its not that simple. 4 days ago I wrote to ford care Australia as Megan suggested. No reply as yet. Typical.

Chris

·
Registered
690 Posts
... I said surly you have the entire Ford company network at your disposal ? His answer was "sadly its not that simple. 4 days ago I wrote to ford care Australia as Megan suggested. No reply as yet.

Chris
Dont you mean "Ford dont care Australia"...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Send them a message through Facebook... Ford Australia was great when I was searching for replacement OEM parts. They asked for my phone number and other details and contacted me back within 24 hours. Then after they assigned me a case manager they phoned me every week to update me on their progress. Then after the case was closed someone else called to ask for feedback on my experience. I was genuinely impressed by their service. Think it's Ford Europe though that will need to do something as they are the manufacturers. Still be interested to see what Ford Australia say.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Very happy to visit you or your welcome to come to my place at Manly (coffee is on me). From all my research I dont think changing the shocks will help.
There is a post on another US forum where a guy fitted coil overs. The noise disappeared for a couple of days then returned.

I have a standard bump that shows the fault every time. The dealer uses this test bump as well. Acknowledges the fault but apologizes for not knowing how to fix it. I said surly you have the entire Ford company network at your disposal ? His answer was "sadly its not that simple. 4 days ago I wrote to ford care Australia as Megan suggested. No reply as yet. Typical.

Chris
Haha sounds good Chris ill head down, got the bluefin and cobb rmm you can test

·
Registered
374 Posts
Haha sounds good Chris ill head down, got the bluefin and cobb rmm you can test
Keen to hear your findings. Fwiw I've heard from several people upgrading to Koni SRT.t shocks gets rid of the harshness and bounce. Whether it masks a different issue I don't know.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Updates:
The ball joints are dead.
The lower control arms will be replaced under warranty.
The car just reached 18k km
Please let us know how the outcome when it's done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have recorded some video of my car making the clunk/thud sound going over bad patch jobs, cracks in the road and low manhole covers. My dealer could not help me out; they said they did not hear the noise and they called the Ford Hotline and Ford told them there is no known issue with the Fiesta.

I'll try a different dealer and try to find a "good" road near them to present the noise on a silver platter.

Here's the video. I recorded it in portrait mode because it was easier to hold it that way. The last big thump is a low manhole cover.

Edit: some typos.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I have recorded some video of my car making the clunk/thud sound going over bad patch jobs, cracks in the road and low manhole covers. My dealer could not help me out; they said they did not hear the noise and they called the Ford Hotline and Ford told them there is no known issue with the Fiesta.

I'll try a different dealer and try to find a "good" road near them to present the noise on a silver platter.

Here's the video. I recorded it in portrait mode because it was easier to hold it that way. The last big thump is a low manhole cover.

Edit: some typos.

YES YES YES that is it. Particularly at 31 and 36 seconds. Obviously it is a lot louder and more obvious when your in the car.

If you drive even slower it will he much louder. Your dealer is deaf. Mine has recognized the sound and acknowledges its not right but also acknowledges he does not know what else to do.

Chris

41 - 60 of 97 Posts