Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Guys, you will note from my first post that I have sent a long time investigating this noise and read posts on scores of forums all over the world in many languages. But still no solution.

The natural thought is that its a suspension problem (and made still is). Most of us are thinking the noise is caused when the suspension travels upwards but now after many many drives over my test bump I am thinking its when the suspension travels down to its lowest point and the noise occurs just at it reverses direction. Feedback welcome.

Given the number of people with this and who have reported it to their dealers all over the world, I refuse to believe Ford are not aware of it. Which leaves only one conclusion. Ford is aware, they know exactly what is wrong and have deemed it to expensive to fix and are hoping owners will just give up.

I am personally now leaning toward a monocoque chassis problem on some cars during construction. My main reason for thinking this as across the world forum members report every single suspension component has been replaced. Nothing changes the noise, it does not get louder or softer, does not matter if car is straight out of the showroom or 50,000k, its the same.

Again Feedback welcome. maybe one of the Ford customer service people on this forum can give some more input.

In Australia I have emailed Ford with no reply. I rang twice, I reported the problem. When I rang again a second time I was told no one else had ever reported such a problem. When I told them I did a week ago I was put on hold and never got back too after 20 minutes.

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, it's when the suspension is unloaded (maybe quickly unloaded) and when it compresses back, that's when you get the noise.

I wonder if the sound symposer thing is sending the thump into the cabin, thus making it sound even worse than it actually is?

Wow, figures... and my dealer said the same thing; they called the Ford Hotline and that it's not a known issue. I had a Dodge Neon that did this and the dealer gave me the run-around, so this is giving me dejavu. Eventually Dodge made a thicker strut mount plate and that was the fix, allegedly, because I sold the car before the fix came out. Also, it was not installed unless the customer asked for it. Now I will never buy another Dodge.

Ford is lucky because I am a diehard Mustang guy, but that's the only car I will buy from Ford going forward...... unless they admit it's a problem and issue revised parts to remedy this.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Told ya it was the Oompa Loompas in the sound symposer. Explains exactly why the sound comes from the left side of the car too, cause thats where the plumbing goes into. Acts like a microphone transmitting the 'bump noise' thru the piping contacting against it.

Be interesting to see if the noise is still there when the symposer is blocked or 'deleted'.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My symposer is deleted and it still made the noise
The car is at the dealer, I'm driving a damn hybrid stickered with the dealer logo

Ford shipped the wrong part (normal fiesta) so lets hope its fixed by Friday or I'll have to drive my GF versa for our US road trip. Not the same fun factor

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
and I thought Im the only one having this problem! drives me insane every time I hear it
I think you can see you're not the only one now

·
Registered
626 Posts
Chris I have this knock, like bottoming out. I just thought it was because of the lightweight Koya rims. I'll discuss it with Ford on Wednesday when it goes for 1st service.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Got the car back yesterday.
It drives like new, they replaced the left lower control arm
If you are convinced the control arm was the problem you should make the name, of you dealer known, so that others can contact your dealer as, proof that is, the, fault. Would help others avoid lengthy discussions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Venne Ford Repentigny Qc, CA
They showed me the ball joint and it really had excessive play

Don't know if it matters but I'm LHD so the problem could be on the left for RHD cars

·
Registered
374 Posts
My research it that the problem is mostly on the left side ,doesn't seem to matter if LHD or RHD
I'm curious, when you drove the car without the banging noise issue did it still have an over damped feel (over sprung) suspension? Many others have noted this as a 'normal' characteristic of the car. I'm on the edge of taking another car for a test drive to scratch my curiosity itch.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I'm curious, when you drove the car without the banging noise issue did it still have an over damped feel (over sprung) suspension? Many others have noted this as a 'normal' characteristic of the car. I'm on the edge of taking another car for a test drive to scratch my curiosity itch.
My car has always has the noise. one either has this noise or you dont, it is not something that appears (or disappears) over time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I heard from a friend that the Hyundai Veloster has a similar problem; the fix for them is rigid collars for the subframe. I decided to give it a try and researched it and found stiffring.com makes them for the mark VI/VII Fiesta. I ordered mine through K5 Opitma Store (for US orders) and received them in three weeks drop shipped from the manufacturer.

I had my mechanic install them and allign my car since it centers the subframe while making a solid connection to the unibody. All I can say is WOW! It feels like I have a subframe brace installed and the car is so solid going over bumps now. I'm so glad I went for it and gambled on the $100 stiff collars!

I've driver about 400 miles now and it's still as tight as day one. I've only heard the clunk twice (very muted and almost didn't hear it) and it was a big pot hole. Normally I hear the clunk 5-10 times during my commute, since the roads are horrible by me. I highly recommend these!

I think hey make them for the rear subframe and I might get them in a few months when I have the extra cash, just to enjoy the stiffening they provide.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts