Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry for the delay. My forum notification whent into my Junk folder.

I emailed them. [email protected] and they responded back pretty quickly.

A a guy named David replied to the email and he was nice. He said it was $134 with shipping but he could do it for $109 with shipping. It was 3-5 day shipping but took a few weeks, probably because of customs.

So so now I have about 900 miles and the clunk is less muted now, so I'm thinking the collars may have settled in. I'm going to re-torque the subframe bolts this weekend. I'll report back!

It's good to know this is helping, as I may buy a subframe brace kit from these guys and see if it gets even quieter. They sell a combo that does the rear sub, the strut towers and the center unibody brace as well for $539 and free shipping.
2014-2016 Fiesta ST RACE Suspension Package - Pierce Motorsports

Just the brace.
2014-2016 Ford Fiesta ST Piercemotorsports 6 Point Lower Chassis Brace - Pierce Motorsports

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have my car booked in for an inspection as I believe I may have a similar issue, but mine sounds like a knocking sound on the front right (drivers side) when going over small bumps and lower speeds. Had it in recently for a 45k service with Jarvis but they said the suspension was fine so I am off late next week for another opinion, i'll ask them to check the lower control arms in particular I guess

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, it made the clunk less annoying. The 6 point brace which finally arrived on Wednesday helped keep the front end feeling tight; I never got a chance to re-torque the subframe bolts before installing the brace, but it's very tight feeling again. When I hear the clunk, it's very muted and the front end doesn't feel like it's about to lose a suspension part. I feel the Stiff Rings were the biggest improvement but with both, the front end feels really good now. (Not perfect but I think it was money well spent)

I hope ope others who try this have the same or better outcome than I did!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to add that I have the same issue. It's a hard bump that jars the whole cabin. Not a nice feeling. And it's loud. Taken it to a couple of places in Hong Kong where I'm from and there's no answer. It feels like the compression goes out of the suspension and the rod bashes the chasis frame. Sorry not technical. Anyway, thought stiffer compression might help. But none the wiser on this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would kind of go along with that it's a possible issue with the subframe. One of my old cars was an 85 Charade Turbo, it had a distinct "WUNK" from the front left (RHD) when the car suspension became unloaded. Over time I replaced everything in the front end suspension and steering. No difference. Checked for spring coils hitting each other and put insulators on it no difference. The car also developed a front end wobble at freeway speeds that would simply not go away, even with new wheels and tyres. Turns out it was a spot weld had let go in the front end chassis where the front met the firewall. It was a common issue for the G11 and G100 series Charades. Considering a few people have mentioned they've replaced the front end suspension components, if that's been done definitely check out the where the subframe meets because if you're getting a klunk when the suspension is unloaded I'd imagine that's allowing the subframe "float" a bit and move position then when it starts loading again something clashes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, my Fiesta ST started making a thump/knock occasionally when changing between R & 1st gear - sometimes i would feel a the knock when going around a corner when transitioning from coast/power. It did feel like something related to the engine movement.

I told the dealer and they spanner checked the front end and found the "Ball Joints" loose. It doesn't seem to be knocking now and my not be exactly the same issue as reported here - but want to add in case anyone else comes across this.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When I brought my car within 2 weeks Ford came to my work and checked over my ball joints as part of a recall check obviously they placed some importance on it to come to me instead of waiting for me to come in for a service like they usually do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the same issue. When I back out of my garage, crank the wheel to left it makes a clunking sound from the passenger side suspension (even hear it when turning right or left at a stop sign). Dealer could not find anything wrong with the suspension. I read some some posts saying it could be a cross member bolt or upper strut mount. Back to the dealer this Monday. Have you had the issue resolved?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn't read the entire thread, so apologies if another poster discussed this or if it's been ruled out as a source of the problem.....

I have the knock on the drivers front side just as described by everybody else. Mine appeared when I mounted my summer tires last spring. Approx 36K miles. I hate my winter tires: crappy, cheap Dunlops that have no traction on dry pavement. But the ride is softer and there was no "knock" until the stock wheels went back on.

I'll mount one of the winter Dunlops on the driver's front as an experiment and report back. It seems very unlikely that the wheel would induce the noise, but it's worth a couple hours of work to rule it out as a potential culprit.

Also, I live in Chicago. In the city. The streets here are horrible, pothole covered disasters. The suspension knock is driving me nuts. If it's just a harmless artifact that's inevitable to keep the car affordable I can live with it. My main concern is that now that I'm out of warranty I don't want to be stuck with an expensive and unavoidable repair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a feeling it is the strut itself, internally. I plan to run the Koni Strt strut/shocks for softer valving. Either way, that should simulate the softer sidewall snow tire.

I know somebody reported they put in coil over struts and the noise was still there, but I think it may have been another problem for that person's car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Those of you experiencing this problem, can you heart the knock when you turn the wheel to the left while the car is stationary?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Turning the wheel while stationary doesn't induce the problem for me.

I've observed that the clunk only occurs when I'm not applying torque to the wheels. Naturally, at low speeds over broken pavement, my foot is off the gas and I'm coasting. Is it possible the problem is the axle-shaft?

Other than a layman's understanding of auto-mechanics I'm unskilled with car repairs or modifications so that might be a dumb idea. But my gut tells me it's not the suspension but something in the drive-train.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem and replaced my gearbox mount today and noise is still there
I get the klucking noise when i pull away and when i play with the accelerator it also makes that sound if i go over a bump.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts