Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Any former MR2 Spyder owners here?
I was curious as to whether the handling of the Fiesta ST was similar to or as much fun as the Spyder? I love my MR2 and my job requires that I drive around in the mountains of the Upstate of South Carolina. It is so much fun zipping around on these great mountain roads! The only problem is the Spyder is getting long in the tooth - 135,000 ,miles, and who knows how much longer it will live. I was hoping that someone with MR2 Spyder experience could comment on the handling characteristics of the Fiesta St in regard to the Spyder. I love cars that are go karts, the FR-S and the Fiesta ST both fall into the go kart category.

Attachments

· Registered
588 Posts
I did not own... but have driven for 15k miles an MR2 Spyder.

The FiST is more responsive and planted. The traction control in sport mode is amazing ( now that mine got reset ). If you turn it off it gets a bit TSteery.

They are both fun to drive. I feel more excited from the FiST though. Hopefully Saturday the intake will be on and I can listen to it all day.

· Premium Member
498 Posts
It's not quite an MR2 but close enough - I used to have a 1986.5 Pontiac Fiero GT 5-Speed Fastback (do not confuse it with the piece of shit fiero 4cyl notchbacks that sucked a fat dong). The car handled great and IMO the SW20 MR2 took a lot of cues from it.

Anyways, I find the FiST has the same ludicrously tossable feel of the Fiero but not quite as low slung, you can tell the center of gravity is a little higher. turn in is comparable.

· Registered
575 Posts
well i've never had one of those cars, i loved the 91 model that looked like a ferrari loved that car but never had the chance to own one. all i can say is this car handles awesome i mean i've had so much fun on it on the twistiest and its safe too. i had a very scary experience today. i was going 90mph on a very wide turn and when i hit the brakes because at the end of the turn there was one of those round intersections i could feel the left tires, front and rear tires started stopping and the car all of a sudden was turning harder. no understearing. it felt great. no wonder it has won so many prizes. cant go wrong with the fist

· Registered
588 Posts
I didn't like the MR2as much as others. I picked the Miata over it, and the FiST is I honestly feel a degree above. IT WENT TO 11! A gen 3 Rx-7 however.... Probably my favorite car of all time, BUT THE RELIABILITY. The engines are easy to break down though, which is a huge plus.

Actually this reminds me of the S2K a lot now that I think about it.

· Registered
12 Posts
Former MR2 Spyder owner (and current Fiesta ST owner):
First off, to all of the people who say "a Miata is close..." or "a Fiero is close" to an MR2: No.

I've driven all 3 at great length and the MR2 Spyder is BY FAR the better handling car, but it needs to be driven vastly different than a Miata (and the Fiero is just poo until you dump a huge amount of money into the suspension). The MR2 Spyder is similar to the NA Miata's, except loads more power and traction. NB Miata's don't have that same tossable feeling (mostly due to the weight, but partially because Toyota put good shocks on the MR2).

Back on topic, MR2 Spyder vs Fiesta ST. Completely different cars with completely different handling characteristics. The Fiesta is a pig in comparison, but is damn fast because of wider tires, loads more torque, better shocks, better sway bars, more suspension tuning.

In terms of "feel". The MR2 is lighter and more "tossable", the Fiesta is torquey and much more forgiving.
To be honest, the MR2 feels a lot like the FR-S, just a bit heavier and more neutral. If you need the space and fuel economy (when not romping on it), the Fiesta is the way to go. If your absolute goal is handling and feel, FR-S would be a better choice.

Recently relocated from Lavonia GA to Greenville SC, BTW. Haven't been to an autocross in a while (I do track days regularly now). If you want to meet up sometime we could go over some things in person.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody!
That's some good and usable information, I really appreciate it. R4d4R - you are so right about the MR2 handling. My car would eat Miatas for lunch when I autocrossed on Maui. It really is a great car and I love it. I have driven 3 Fiesta STs and 4 Scion FR-Ss - I am definitely on the fence with which way to go. The trunk/cargo space on either is adequate so it is down to the driving/handling experience. I was always on a test drive so could never wring out the cars, and I wouldn't on a car that would be sold to someone else, but really like the feeling of the Fiesta ST motor!

I'd love to meet up sometime and check out your ride.
Text me at 808.264.9628 one day.

· Registered
923 Posts
well i've never had one of those cars, i loved the 91 model that looked like a ferrari loved that car but never had the chance to own one. all i can say is this car handles awesome i mean i've had so much fun on it on the twistiest and its safe too. i had a very scary experience today. i was going 90mph on a very wide turn and when i hit the brakes because at the end of the turn there was one of those round intersections i could feel the left tires, front and rear tires started stopping and the car all of a sudden was turning harder. no understearing. it felt great. no wonder it has won so many prizes. cant go wrong with the fist
I owned three '91 MR2 Turbos... has to be one of my all time favorite cars. The only caveat with them is that you CANNOT lift throttle in a fast turn, lest the rear will come around and bite you in the @ss. lol. Standard issue with mid engine cars though... the NSX did the same thing as well.

· Registered
556 Posts
In terms of "feel". The MR2 is lighter and more "tossable", the Fiesta is torquey and much more forgiving.
To be honest, the MR2 feels a lot like the FR-S, just a bit heavier and more neutral. If you need the space and fuel economy (when not romping on it), the Fiesta is the way to go. If your absolute goal is handling and feel, FR-S would be a better choice.
My experience in the FRS is just the opposite. The FRS to me, feels numb and so underpowered it wasn't even a consideration. The way the power comes on in the FiST just makes it a blast to drive.

Just got back from the 2nd track day weekend in my FiST and I am absolutely loving this decision. Since I am an instructor at my local track, I've been able to drive many different vehicles with students/owners in the passenger seat. The FRS/BRZ were just so underwhelming, I can't understand how they got hyped up so much.

A FRS/BRZ would be a great first car for a new driver...but someone that has any lick of talent will quickly outgrow it.

· Registered
15 Posts
I know this post is a little old but figured id put in my 2cents. My buddy owns a 93 mr2 with a 96jdm turbo motor swapped in making about 240hp and 300ft lbs torque to the wheel. He also has several other things done to improve handling and lighten the car up. I just traded in my 2007 honda s2000 for my FIST. I have let my buddy drive my car some and he absolutely loves this car. Though he loves his car more for some obvious reasons he literally was having such a good time the first time he drove my car he was laughing and started to cry lol My impressions of the car are that this thing is a lot of fun to drive in the city and on curvy roads probably more so than my s2000 to be honest. However the s2000 is quite a bit faster making the highway in the FIST not as fun but going from the mr-s to the FIST it should feel a little more powerful and be able to handle up to par. The main things you would probably have to get use to would be the seating position which to me feels similar height wise to driving my grandmothers cr-v, The angle of your legs when pushing the pedals which might sound ridiculous but coming from the s2000 where you almost push your legs straight ahead if i lower the fiesta seat to its lowest setting i keep finding myself putting my foot on the brake pedal lever as oppose to the actual pedal so you have to push more down at the pedal, then comes the obvious part where they will be way different in the handling aspect is the the mr-s is a rwd rear engine and the FIST is front engine fwd. Overall i love my FIST and dont regret trading my s2k for it at all.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks Wbrjustin!
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback. Lots of folks are commenting on the 2nd gen MR2 which was such a beautiful car, love the turbo. I am talking about the 3rd gen MR2 Spyder which is quite a different beast. My MR2 is a big light go-kart so I am pretty sure the Fiesta ST will be a bit of a downgrade in handling, or at least quite different but still very good handling. Those differences were what I was really trying to get at.

· Registered
2 Posts
i have driven the FiST and own a mr2 spyder. i was watching formula 1 and looking at which cars on the market are on par or better than the mr-s and at the moment none under 25k. the FiST does not compare in any aspect to the mr-s when it comes to performance. i'm speaking from a stock 1zz standpoint. if you autox you'll like my 2 cents since i also autox. I put a 2zz celica/elise motor in my mr-s by myself and it is a total beast! 43/57 midship rwd will always perform better. i don't even know why theres a discussion. theres youtube videos of NA mr-s in japan absolutely destroying cars in their class with a 2zz motor. 2zz mr-s = poor mans lotus elise. check this video and the driver loses on purpose to prove a point of of handling vs power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.