Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, thanks for putting up with all my thread starts lately. I am probably going to buy a new car in the spring. I come from 11 years of Subaru ownership. I have done the speed and horsepower thing and am now looking to get more into the economy and handling thing. Three cars have risen to the top so to speak...the Fiesta ST, Subaru BRZ and a distant 3rd Fiat Abarth. What I need is reasons why one is better than the other.

Sorry for the extra o in the thread title!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Reactions: Pelotonracer2

·
Registered
923 Posts
I would drive them all and come to your own conclusion. I was hooked on the FiST after only 5 minutes of driving it. Feels almost like an extension of the driver.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I personally love my friend's the FR-S. I needed the shortest possible car with 4 doors (NYC Parking), so FR-S was out.. otherwise it'd be on the top of my list. They are truly awesome cars, and I don't feel they are underpowered like many people do.. They are excellent on the track too, just about as quick as my e36 M3.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It seems that everyone who drives the 86 sisters complains about the lack of power.

The ST, power is rarely if ever the complaint (if any).

I think it is down to the way that a turbo delivers power and torque, which the 86 sisters have no torque. The ST's torque makes it a great daily driver.

The old saying goes "buy power drive torque". Most keyboard warriors whine about the lack of HP but HP isn't what you feel and drive. Torque baby, and the ST has it.

Reactions: rodmoe

·
Registered
88 Posts
^ Agreed, under 3k RPM there really isn't much in the way of torque on the FRS/BRZ,
I do find it is a more refined chassis though and seems more composed over bumps.
The Fiesta isn't a big car by any means but practicality-wise it trumps the BRZ which has an unusable back seat and a pretty short trunk
What I'm interested in seeing is resale value, the FRS/BRZ I expect to do very well in the long run because of the high demand in the tuner community
In my area at least the ST siblings don't have as much hype and the blue oval generally performs pretty poorly in that department
I love the FRS but it just didn't feel like the car for me, the engine was a complete let down and I don't need another FR car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A low, compact, RWD coupe can be amazing, but I had to have 4 doors too. If I didn't, I would probably be in a BRZ.

·
Registered
773 Posts
^ Agreed, under 3k RPM there really isn't much in the way of torque on the FRS/BRZ,
I do find it is a more refined chassis though and seems more composed over bumps.
The Fiesta isn't a big car by any means but practicality-wise it trumps the BRZ which has an unusable back seat and a pretty short trunk
What I'm interested in seeing is resale value, the FRS/BRZ I expect to do very well in the long run because of the high demand in the tuner community
In my area at least the ST siblings don't have as much hype and the blue oval generally performs pretty poorly in that department
I love the FRS but it just didn't feel like the car for me, the engine was a complete let down and I don't need another FR car.
I would say that the resale value will be ever better on the FiST.

A coupe RWD is only going to sell to enthusiast type people. Sure some aren't who buy it but generally.

The ST is an easy sell to any better halfs because it is good on gas (relatively), practical and 4 door.

So having this there will be more people likely to want one second hand because it is an easier sell to the Misses.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would say that the resale value will be ever better on the FiST.

A coupe RWD is only going to sell to enthusiast type people. Sure some aren't who buy it but generally.

The ST is an easy sell to any better halfs because it is good on gas (relatively), practical and 4 door.

So having this there will be more people likely to want one second hand because it is an easier sell to the Misses.
I cannot disagree with you more.. Miata, Nissan's 240, The Supra, even the FWD Prelude - all have amazing resale value.. and none of them are practical. My experience tells me that cars that hold value best are the ones people *WANT*, not the ones that make sense.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I cannot disagree with you more.. Miata, Nissan's 240, The Supra, even the FWD Prelude - all have amazing resale value.. and none of them are practical. My experience tells me that cars that hold value best are the ones people *WANT*, not the ones that make sense.
The Miata is a staple and always has been. The only reason the 240 is popular is because of drifting. The Supra is a god in the eyes of tuners. Plus it was SUPER cheap to buy a 93' Supra TT before Fast and the Furious came out. After that they have bounced up in value.

The Prelude is good for its time but I suppose there isn't much call for it here. I haven't seen one on the road in a LONG time.

The FR-S and BRZ are caught up in the "Genesis" craze. The Genesis Coupe sold like crazy here but they did not hold their value well at all.

The FR-S and BRZ held their value well at first because dealers were over sold. Now they are a dime a dozen. When that happens the value plummets.

The hot hatch is a car that appeals to a much larger market where the sports coupe is a niche market.

The reason a GTI sells so well is because your Mom, Dad, Girlfriend, Boyfriend, Brother, Sister, Cousin, Neighbour, Teacher can buy it because it serves it's purpose to everyone. It is a posh Golf for your mom, it is a pocket rocket for you and your brother and dad. It had a trunk for your sister and her kids.

The sports coupe is a great car and some people can justify buying one but not nearly as many people as can a hot hatch.

The ST is made in a relatively small batch, it is quick and everyone who gets near one loves it. It will hold its value very well. The FR-S and BRZ will become the Genesis once the hype wears off. Great cars but just cannot fit as many lifestyles as a hot hatch.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I bought my FiST for its small size + power to weight ratio. For a long time Ive been looking for a car like this and finally Ford, the last car company I've ever expected to do it, did it. I was even thinking of buying a Fit, Yaris or Mazda2 to have modded until I discovered the FiST. So glad I dont have to spend money and countless hours at a performance shop troubleshooting my car when the car ive been looking for is sitting in my parking lot :)
Yes this car is practical but if given the choice of a 3 door that would have been my choice.
Im in the same boat as Audiphile this car is great for city parking and also zipping in and out of traffic :)

Also let me add my friend has a FRS and drove it several times and Loved it till I drove my FiST.

·
Registered
575 Posts
With the amount I paid for mine I could have easily choose a different car. But from the reviews and power and economy ratio, the clear winner was the fist. Add to that it has won a lot of awards. What else is there to think about?

I was really into the FRS but just like top gear said. FRS is a car for drifting not for it to be fast. Maybe that's why it comes with all season tires. On top gear they tried spinning the FRS at 30mph and it did spin like crazy. I don't care much about that kind of thing.

My opinion drive both and set some guideline's on what you want the car to have.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
The twins are really fun to drive, kind of like an hardtop S2000 but not as raw, but man with another 50 WHP, it would be a killer! I know the aftermarket has some really close to "OEM" superchargers kits out there but the price would place it into 5.0 territory and I want that V8. But yea, torque makes the world better :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts