Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks like they took the video down :confused: I saw it on Jalop and was going to post too

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
nice video! I honestly think it is an apples to oranges comparison but still cool never the less. I love the Youtube comments, people are up in arms and bagging on the Fiesta ST and defending the M3 LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
nice video! I honestly think it is an apples to oranges comparison but still cool never the less. I love the Youtube comments, people are up in arms and bagging on the Fiesta ST and defending the M3 LOL
Ha...yeah you could see that coming from a mile away.

I agree with Matt's conclusion at the end though. And personally I think the Fiesta shifter has better feel than the stock M3 shifter, not sure about the shorty in that particular one though.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Looks like they took the video down :confused: I saw it on Jalop and was going to post too
I just watched it. :cool: It's nice to hear good things about the FiST. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
This guy really does a good job of describing what most real-world driving is going to be like and why, for 95% of the time, the Fiesta is the more fun car.

·
Registered
269 Posts
This was a good comparison, but he got a few things wrong in my opinion (as an E46 M3 and Fiesta ST owner).

1. I don't know how he can say the S54 doesn't build power in an exciting way. That's just nonsense. the S54 howls and builds thrust in a very fun way as it runs towards its high redline.
2. He said the steering feel was better in the FiST. I love my little FiST and for electric power steering it has good levels of feedback. But the M3 has better feel and feedback.

All in all it was an interesting comparison and something I can very personally relate to since my FiST is a replacement for my daily+track car combo of a hybrid civic and E46 M3.

What really gives the FiST the edge over so many cars is it's super light weight and fun handling. And the fact that you can drive it hard and not be at go-to-jail speeds. I can ring my FiST out thru gears 1, 2, and 3 and still not be going way too fast. If I did that in my M3 for a similar amount of time and/or gear changes I'd be in triple digits and riding the bus for a while if caught.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The key as stated is "real" world driving. Nice comparison.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Lets not start comparing fuel consumption between the two. Actually feel quite good that they start comparing the FiST to an M3. Hell, look at the Topgear awards, the FiST beat most supercars on overall tests.

·
Registered
120 Posts
2. He said the steering feel was better in the FiST. I love my little FiST and for electric power steering it has good levels of feedback. But the M3 has better feel and feedback.
I think that the M3 he was driving had been set up for a road course track, and thus has very aggressive camber and caster settings (like I have on my e36).. That changes the steering feel quite a lot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think that the M3 he was driving had been set up for a road course track, and thus has very aggressive camber and caster settings (like I have on my e36).. That changes the steering feel quite a lot.
I have a lot of camber on my M3 and the steering feel was still very good. Maybe he just has numb hands. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I forget the hosts name but he has always come off as kind of a tool when it comes to steering input/opinion as well as driving ability. You can see the camber in the M3 and that is pretty aggressive. For a stock FiST to be compared favorably is great.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a lot of camber on my M3 and the steering feel was still very good. Maybe he just has numb hands. :)
I traded my E46 M3 for my FiST so this review is particularly relevant. In fact it sums up how I feel about both cars, but I have the same disagreement as you.

The E46 M3 had more feedback/feel, period.

However, the FiST steering is more precise and faster, so subjectively it feels more direct to me.

As for building power, I can sort of see what he's saying. I know he's driven faster cars and way more insane project cars than a lightly modded M3, and the M3 is rather straightforward. Doesn't mean it's bland, but it's very straightforward - no sudden boost or surge, just a steadily increasing pull up to redline. Still though it's definitely exciting IMO. Downshifting into a gear that brings the engine up to 5,000 RPM and pushing the pedal down was always rewarding, and peak power right at redline meant it always just hauled ass toward 8,000.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I traded my E46 M3 for my FiST so this review is particularly relevant. In fact it sums up how I feel about both cars, but I have the same disagreement as you.

The E46 M3 had more feedback/feel, period.

However, the FiST steering is more precise and faster, so subjectively it feels more direct to me.

As for building power, I can sort of see what he's saying. I know he's driven faster cars and way more insane project cars than a lightly modded M3, and the M3 is rather straightforward. Doesn't mean it's bland, but it's very straightforward - no sudden boost or surge, just a steadily increasing pull up to redline. Still though it's definitely exciting IMO. Downshifting into a gear that brings the engine up to 5,000 RPM and pushing the pedal down was always rewarding, and peak power right at redline meant it always just hauled ass toward 8,000.
Another recovering M3 owner. I still have mine but it will be finding a new home soon.

The steering in the FiST is lighter that's for sure. Perhaps a tad more direct, but not nearly as communicative.

As for engine power; it sorta depends what you like I think. I love the way NA engines make power. Or rather I love how high revv'ing NA engines that are engineered like a swiss watch make power. I love the way the S54 climbs to redline. No turbo engine will ever do that for me. But I do still love the punchy little motor in the FiST.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts